Seen at a local Ford dealer yesterday

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I stopped at the dealer to buy an oil filter and saw this nicely-customized old pickup. BTW, the owner of this dealership has a beautiful red GT, which used to be parked in the dealership in an inflatable clear plastic enclosure.

IMG_0123.jpeg
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Beautiful!

Too pretty to drive though.

I have friends with classic cars like that and while I greatly admire them I have no desire for one myself.

My buddy with the immaculate DeSoto used to drive it around everywhere until a WalMartian parked their buggy against it. Turd Birds have to be Turd Birds I guess.

I would probably electrify the velvet ropes just to be safe.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
If your not going to drive it and enjoy it....then why even own it ? Just so you can go out in the garage, sit in a chair and look at it ?
"What did you do to your car today "? "Oh, I went out to the garage, sat in my Man Cave Chair, and talked to my classic truck/car/hot rod for about 2 hours. Had a great time "!!!

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
I restored to original condition a 1970 911T Porsche and then used as a daily driver for about 3 years, drove the living crap out of it, I owned that car for 12 years and then sold it for a pile of coupons, wish I still had it though was a great car to drive and so very simple to work on. The issue with old cars and trucks you had to work on them far more regularly like, tune ups every 10-15K (points, plugs, condenser, valve lash, carburetor flow adjustment - it had 2 x 3 barrel carbs), but it gave me an opportunity to teach my boys on how to work on cars.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I would rather have an old car or truck that wasn't numbers matching. That way I could mod it the way I wanted and drive it to enjoy it. My youngest and I really want to do a cobra kit car just for that reason.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I restored to original condition a 1970 911T Porsche and then used as a daily driver for about 3 years, drove the living crap out of it, I owned that car for 12 years and then sold it for a pile of coupons, wish I still had it though was a great car to drive and so very simple to work on. The issue with old cars and trucks you had to work on them far more regularly like, tune ups every 10-15K (points, plugs, condenser, valve lash, carburetor flow adjustment - it had 2 x 3 barrel carbs), but it gave me an opportunity to teach my boys on how to work on cars.
I love pre-emissions 911s, but there is a steep learning curve for new owners.

Reactions: Doc

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
I love pre-emissions 911s, but there is a steep learning curve for new owners.
Yep, manual everything, sloppy shifting, but oh so much fun to drive and drive fast love the back roads!!!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I would rather have an old car or truck that wasn't numbers matching. That way I could mod it the way I wanted and drive it to enjoy it. My youngest and I really want to do a cobra kit car just for that reason.
I agree with this. I'd prefer a "clone" or restomod to a real Boss 429 that's worth a quarter mill an you're afraid to park it anywhere.

I did the old 911's too but the parts prices kept me away an now they've gone up out of my reach.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with this. I'd prefer a "clone" or restomod to a real Boss 429 that's worth a quarter mill an you're afraid to park it anywhere.

I did the old 911's too but the parts prices kept me away an now they've gone up out of my reach.
Before Enzo died, I had an opportunity to buy a Ferrari Dino for $40k. Sometimes I wish I had jumped on it, but it would break my heart to have it sit in the garage (or my living room a la Ferris Beuller) for fear of damaging it beyond my ability to repair. I’d rather have something cobbled together from parts cars, and reasonably expendable.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Before Enzo died, I had an opportunity to buy a Ferrari Dino for $40k. Sometimes I wish I had jumped on it, but it would break my heart to have it sit in the garage (or my living room a la Ferris Beuller) for fear of damaging it beyond my ability to repair. I’d rather have something cobbled together from parts cars, and reasonably expendable.
There's a kit that's based on a 240Z that makes a nice GTO replica.
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=59170&country=uk

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Mi Gusta

And don't forget...the Ferrari Daytona and 1 of three Ferrari Testarossa's in Miami Vice were conversions. The Daytona was based on a C3 Vette and the Testarossa stunt car was built on a Pantera. I remember the hot rod magazine issue where they showed the Testarossa and had a 351 Clevo with a Predator variable venturi carb.

Personally? I'd much rather have a repro car vs the real thing. My focus of lust would be a Shelby Daytona Coupe but without the 289 but a stroked up 351 crate SVT engine. Specifically the Factory 5 Type 65 Coupe.

We all have our wishes. :D

D
Sponsored

Last edited: