School me on tire size… pretend I’m 12

LukeB12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat 4x4
I just recently purchased a 2022 lariat and have begun the process of adding many of the deleted features and some of my own add ons as well (pictures to follow soon) I have the 17 inch rims and want to put “beefier” tires on. Both to survive the upcoming Colorado winter, and for the aesthetics. The only problem is I have no idea what “beefier means” I downsized from a ram with 265/65/20s and had bf Goodrich ko2s and loved the look. How do I replicate that look/ what tire size can I put on without needing modifications? (it will be leveled shortly). The stock ones are 265 65 17 and are just very little looking. Thanks in advance for any help and knowledge! I have greatly enjoyed learning so much more about my truck from you guys on this site, granted it’s a 2022 lariat so it’s been slightly disappointing when I got to the deleted list thread lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently purchased a 2022 lariat and have begun the process of adding many of the deleted features and some of my own add ons as well (pictures to follow soon) I have the 17 inch rims and want to put “beefier” tires on. Both to survive the upcoming Colorado winter, and for the aesthetics. The only problem is I have no idea what “beefier means” I downsized from a ram with 265/65/20s and had bf Goodrich ko2s and loved the look. How do I replicate that look/ what tire size can I put on without needing modifications? (it will be leveled shortly). The stock ones are 265 65 17 and are just very little looking. I know nothing about tires and don’t know if 265/70/17 is a beefier or what other tire. Sizes would fit. Thanks in advance for any help and knowledge! I have greatly enjoyed learning so much more about my truck from you guys on this site, granted it’s a 2022 lariat so it’s been slightly disappointing when I got to the deleted list thread lol.

View attachment 153741

View attachment 153742

View attachment 153743
Age 12, Eh? Okay...put the damn phone down! Look at me...Take the ear buds out of your ears...

Sheesh... I give up....I am out of here....

Best,
Phil

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Ah, the good old boomer humor.
Kind of a sad humor only because of the truth of it.
And they don't have to be 12 for us to need to say that to them.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Best thing to do is search the forum profiles/build threads and find someone's truck that you like. Then explore from there. Wheels/tires (much like oil choice) is a very deep and dark rabbit hole. ?️

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Search through the Showcase thread for that.
Lots of exceedingly nice trucks with the stance you're looking for in there.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I just recently purchased a 2022 lariat and have begun the process of adding many of the deleted features and some of my own add ons as well (pictures to follow soon) I have the 17 inch rims and want to put “beefier” tires on.

Both to survive the upcoming Colorado winter, and for the aesthetics. The only problem is I have no idea what “beefier means” I downsized from a ram with 265/65/20s and had bf Goodrich ko2s and loved the look. How do I replicate that look/ what tire size can I put on without needing modifications? (it will be leveled shortly).

The stock ones are 265 65 17 and are just very little looking. Thanks in advance for any help and knowledge! I have greatly enjoyed learning so much more about my truck from you guys on this site, granted it’s a 2022 lariat so it’s been slightly disappointing when I got to the deleted list thread lol.
We’re happy you’re here. Let’s start with the basics, as you requested. You’re welcome.?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Best thing to do is search the forum profiles/build threads and find someone's truck that you like. Then explore from there. Wheels/tires (much like oil choice) is a very deep and dark rabbit hole. ?
This all day.

You probably don't want to increase tire size until you lift/level the truck anyways.

Without a level you can only go up a little. And it would be a waste to buy 31"s today when you can fit 33"s in 2 weeks, or whatever.

Spend some time researching what YOU want. These aren't Toyotas, there aren't endless options. You're limited enough that by clicking around here you'll be able to figure it out.

If you, OP, "build" your truck by just asking for the mod "formula" and following that you're gonna end up with 275s on a spacer level with 0 offset wheels, fender flares, and a tailgate damper.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I said it more nicely this time. Hopefully nobody gets butthurt.

Last edited:

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
Age 12, Eh? Okay...put the damn phone down! Look at me...Take the ear buds out of your ears...

Sheesh... I give up....I am out of here....

Phil's one of the funniest yet most brutal people around here. I have a serious man crush on you

Last edited:

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
Wait until you lift/level to change tires

The two tires you listed are the same width, and have the same treadwall height. The ram tire was taller because of the bigger rim. If you decide to upgrade wheels, stick with 17 or 18 inch.

Do you understand tire sizing?

265 is a measurement in mm, and that is the width of the tire. 65 is the aspect ratio and is a percentage of the width and determines the sidewall height. A 265/85 will be exactly as wide as a 265/45 but will be significantly taller and have much more sidewall.

Check this link to see how sizing works/looks

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Last edited:

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
On the stock wheel and suspension height, 265/70/17 is about the biggest tire you can safely use without issues (Tremor runs this without issue). If you are looking for winter tires, consider function over form. Maybe go with the beef for summer (that’s what she said!).

Maybe the look you want has more to do with the tire design. You had a great off-road/all terrain tire on your last truck. That tire also had an aggressive sidewall. Questionable how much function that adds, but it looks nice. I attached a couple of the common tires that have a similar side profile and are available in the size you already have. The KO2 seem to have the most aggressive look, then the Toyo, and so on…. The more aggressive the look and the tread, the louder the tire tends to be - so prepare for that as well. You are also going to need to choose if you want white lettering (showing) or not. This depends on the tire and the vehicle, and YOUR preference. For me, I am split 50/50. Maintaining white lettering is more work, so I opt for the black side out look.

If you level the front, it seems as though you can go to a slightly bigger tire (wider and/or taller) with maybe only needing a spacer.

133F00BC-EE5D-4B81-A72B-F325DD7AAB83.jpeg
056E9E92-A060-4AA8-9AF5-B8B29C0E829A.jpeg
4FEEAEFF-3186-4359-9067-8D343E24F44F.jpeg

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
265 70 17 is a good bit more beef and fits the rangers bone stock. the kos bf goodrich is a great tire. look for a tire that is winter rated with this symbol. looks like a mtn with snow flake.
1664124862669.png

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Here is 265/70/17 on 17x9 tires. Raining today so you'll have to look through the raindrops to see it.

Mine is slightly lifted (Bilsteins in front at 1.8", Tremor leafs in the rear) but a lift is not necessary to run this size.

IMO, the 265/70 looks "Just Right" on a stock or mild truck.

With that said, when these wear out I'll likely install the modified intrusion beams and go with 285/70.

IMG_1857.jpeg

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
265/70-17 is about as big as you can go without rubbing or adding a level kit. Same width as your stock tires but a little taller. That's what I have.

First Name
Bocephus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 for ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Jack of all trades
On the stock wheel and suspension height, 265/70/17 is about the biggest tire you can safely use without issues (Tremor runs this without issue). If you are looking for winter tires, consider function over form. Maybe go with the beef for summer (that’s what she said!).

Maybe the look you want has more to do with the tire design. You had a great off-road/all terrain tire on your last truck. That tire also had an aggressive sidewall. Questionable how much function that adds, but it looks nice. I attached a couple of the common tires that have a similar side profile and are available in the size you already have. The KO2 seem to have the most aggressive look, then the Toyo, and so on…. The more aggressive the look and the tread, the louder the tire tends to be - so prepare for that as well. You are also going to need to choose if you want white lettering (showing) or not. This depends on the tire and the vehicle, and YOUR preference. For me, I am split 50/50. Maintaining white lettering is more work, so I opt for the black side out look.

If you level the front, it seems as though you can go to a slightly bigger tire (wider and/or taller) with maybe only needing a spacer.

133F00BC-EE5D-4B81-A72B-F325DD7AAB83.jpeg
056E9E92-A060-4AA8-9AF5-B8B29C0E829A.jpeg
4FEEAEFF-3186-4359-9067-8D343E24F44F.jpeg
This is good info for everyone, I ended up with some Gladiator X-Comp M/T 265/70r17 on my stock rims with fox leveling kit. Last long too.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/gladiator-x-comp-m-t

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently purchased a 2022 lariat and have begun the process of adding many of the deleted features and some of my own add ons as well (pictures to follow soon) I have the 17 inch rims and want to put “beefier” tires on. Both to survive the upcoming Colorado winter, and for the aesthetics. The only problem is I have no idea what “beefier means” I downsized from a ram with 265/65/20s and had bf Goodrich ko2s and loved the look. How do I replicate that look/ what tire size can I put on without needing modifications? (it will be leveled shortly). The stock ones are 265 65 17 and are just very little looking. Thanks in advance for any help and knowledge! I have greatly enjoyed learning so much more about my truck from you guys on this site, granted it’s a 2022 lariat so it’s been slightly disappointing when I got to the deleted list thread lol.
Have you reinstalled the deleted tailgate damper?
Sponsored