Savagegeese

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I don't disagree entirely but I will point out two things.

First, the Ranger does improve interior quality as price goes up, the hard plastic dash on my STX is soft touch stitched on a Lariat. Other changes exist, too.
Yes, just enough to try to justify the cost difference. But this was basically my point from the beginning--ford is delivering a mediocre product to maximize profits because they don't feel any particular need to do better. You can argue that companies need to maximize profits, but I'll counter that there's a competing view that companies should try to make the best product they can sell at a fair price that gets them a reasonable profit and loyal customers. Some guy named Henry used to talk along those lines. There are no hard constraints preventing them from putting a better interior into a midsize truck, they simply chose not to. I get that there are financial decisions that have to be made. But I'll point out that the track record for Ford making good financial decisions is spotty at best, so it's more than fair to question whether they made the right decisions in any particular case rather than just accepting that they must have made the best possible choices. It's also fair to wonder whether the decisions were made objectively and rationally, or whether what we got is the result of internal politics and corporate infighting. At the end of the day I think it's reasonable to wish that when people point out that ford cut corners and phoned in a mediocre interior they don't get attacked by fanboys unwilling to concede the point. You might reasonably argue that some of the competitors are worse, but you can't compare a ranger interior to an F150 interior or pretty much anything at a similar price point that isn't a midsize truck and argue in good faith that the ranger has the best interior available. How much more would it have cost for a power adjustable seatback, memory adjustment, cooled seats, a less crappy instrument cluster, etc? Only ford knows. How much more would people have been willing to pay and how would that have affected bottom line profits? Not even ford knows that, because they never tried to sell that thing.

Pinski66

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
I'm not a huge fan of Savagegeese reviews. They come of as smug jerks and most of their compliments are backhanded. That's their shtick.

This review was pretty accurate especially the complaint that the shift points lugging the engine in the 30 - 35 mph range. I manually downshift or drive in sport mode, but I shouldnt have to.

They describe the engine as potent , effective, and adequate. Its off road capability as extraordinary. Its looks as traditional and aged well. The interior as aged, but has the basics.

They say if you want an offroader get a bronco or jeep, If you want economy get a maverick. If you want towing and hauling get an f150. The thing I think they dont get is that the Ranger is a comprise. What if you want all those things?

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a huge fan of Savagegeese reviews. They come of as smug jerks and most of their compliments are backhanded. That's their shtick.

This review was pretty accurate especially the complaint that the shift points lugging the engine in the 30 - 35 mph range. I manually downshift or drive in sport mode, but I shouldnt have to.

They describe the engine as potent , effective, and adequate. Its off road capability as extraordinary. Its looks as traditional and aged well. The interior as aged, but has the basics.

They say if you want an offroader get a bronco or jeep, If you want economy get a maverick. If you want towing and hauling get an f150. The thing I think they dont get is that the Ranger is a comprise. What if you want all those things?
And a low price point. I LIKE my XL interior. I literally DON'T CARE about plastic dash vs padded fake leather, as long as it doesn't actively interfere with operating the vehicle (Like the shiny bezels and shiny plastic panel on the"higher" trims). Molded plastic can be styled to look cool, and leather can be styled to look ugly, and I only TOUCH my dashboard when I'm cleaning it. The seats are VERY comfortable to me, and there are two whole trim levels above mine. I think the BASE vehicle offers a LOT if capability, and Ford's upgrade path is very well-structured to convince people to upsell to "nicer" details and such IF THEY CARE. And they can save money for less functionality or "lower" the style and still get important functionality if that is important to them. I can get 4x4 and a locking diff without paying for an "upgraded" interior package that I don't give two shits about. One truck with so much variability, and everyone can get almost the exact mix of capability and style that they want and are willing to pay for.

Brilliant if you ask me, and I believe they will sell a ton if that ever becomes possible.

This is why professional reviews seem less relevant when they start deviating into criticism of "Interior trim quality". At that point, they are always driving the HIGHEST trim level, and bitching that "It misses the mark". A guy like me has already tuned out all their comments until they move on to the transmission or something. All they are doing is pretending that everybody really wants to spend more money for a "better quality" truck, and implying that "better quality" means a "nicer interior". As a consequence, the bitching about interior trim quality becomes a talking point for everybody who watches the reviews, and the guy who is waiting for somebody to test and discuss the locking diff gets a two sentence blurb that "some models offer a locking diff, which we didn't test"... GAAAAH... The reviewers drive what the OEM provides for them to test. Keep the salt shaker handy, boys...

I don't give a shit if Mr. Savage Geese BUYS a Ranger, but I want to hear what he thinks about stuff relevant to me. And in this case, I found his comments about the relevant bits of the Ranger to be spot on. It's dated, sure. You kknow what I was driving before the Ranger? A Ranger! (Mazda B3000 to be precise) Did I like it? Yes! Does Mr. Geese? No! So he has his opinions. But he did offer some pretty objective, informed opinion about a lot of things. I would happily drive my old B3000, except for the reliability problems that come with driving a vehicle that is 17 years old. Dated, schmated. I just want to to work, and be FUN to drive. I wasn't offended by his review at all. I thought it was very fair. And I LOVE my crazy mixed-up spec Ranger.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Am I the only one who noticed that he praised the improved dash? You would think someone that does this for a living would know the differences between a Lariat and an XLT. Other than that, the rest of the review had some merit. It was obvious that he doesn't relate to the average Ranger buyer, though. Some people like utility, as well as being able to park it in a standard garage.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
I will say I know I am a bit of a naysayer when it comes to "improving" interiors. I just saw the new GMC Sierra's interior in the Denali Ultimate trim and it is very aesthetically pleasing, albeit I don't know how the open pore wood and leather would hold up to mud, oil, and general dirtiness that comes with life.

Maybe we do want a luxe Ranger interior after all?

maxresdefault.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I will say I know I am a bit of a naysayer when it comes to "improving" interiors. I just saw the new GMC Sierra's interior in the Denali Ultimate trim and it is very aesthetically pleasing, albeit I don't know how the open pore wood and leather would hold up to mud, oil, and general dirtiness that comes with life.

Maybe we do want a luxe Ranger interior after all?

maxresdefault.jpg
For me personally, no. I don't expect a high level interior trim in the Ranger and if you (or anyone else does) you should be looking at a more higher end truck. Now you're comparing apples and oranges between both trucks. The Ranger is a mid size truck with just enough luxury in the Lariat to please most people. If you want high end luxury buy a higher end vehicle. If they (Ford) offered this it would raise the price so much most wouldn't buy it and even as a stand alone option I would bet there's just not a huge demand for this in a mid size. Heck, I see many here who opted for a lower trim because they don't like the leather in the Lariat.

The Denali is a totally different truck and attracts people looking for those features. Most will never take that truck off road and are just using it for towing, DD, or some who want to bling them out, see pic below. :shock: Just like the F150 Platinum which has all these higher end features. We don't need this in a Ranger which will jack the price up to appease the minority out there.

Just my 0.05.... adjusted for inflation. ?

GMC-Sierra-2500HD-Denali.jpg

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
For me personally, no. I don't expect a high level interior trim in the Ranger and if you (or anyone else does) you should be looking at a more higher end truck. Now you're comparing apples and oranges between both trucks. The Ranger is a mid size truck with just enough luxury in the Lariat to please most people. If you want high end luxury buy a higher end vehicle. If they (Ford) offered this it would raise the price so much most wouldn't buy it and even as a stand alone option I would bet there's just not a huge demand for this in a mid size. Heck, I see many here who opted for a lower trim because they don't like the leather in the Lariat.

The Denali is a totally different truck and attracts people looking for those features. Most will never take that truck off road and are just using it for towing, DD, or some who want to bling them out, see pic below. :shock: Just like the F150 Platinum which has all these higher end features. We don't need this in a Ranger which will jack the price up to appease the minority out there.

But the Denali Ultimate's MSRP is only $80.3k. What does that translate into in Ranger bucks? $65k?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
But the Denali Ultimate's MSRP is only $80.3k. What does that translate into in Ranger bucks? $65k?
So you're saying you'd pay $65K for a Ranger with an interior like a Denali? If so I think you're in the minority here because there's no way I would unless it's a Ranger Raptor and even then it better have a Coyote motor in it.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
So you're saying you'd pay $65K for a Ranger with an interior like a Denali? If so I think you're in the minority here because there's no way I would unless it's a Ranger Raptor and even then it better have a Coyote motor in it.
Oh hell no. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of their arguments. I paid about 35k. That's two Rangers worth of leather and open pore wood ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Oh hell no. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of their arguments. I paid about 35k. That's two Rangers worth of leather and open pore wood ?
Gotcha. I was going to say if you were that's crazy and you could buy a loaded Lariat strip out the interior and still have a lot of money leftover for other mods. ?

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

GMC-Sierra-2500HD-Denali.jpg
Cartel Cadillac

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Who the hell pays $50k for a loaded Ranger?

Taking the current cluterfuck out of the equation, I paid $40k for my loaded Lariat less than a year ago. I shopped F-150s at the same time. Dollar for dollar I could've got a SCrew 4x4 2.7l F-150 XL for the same price.

Anybody saying that F-150s cost the same as Rangers just hasn't done their homework.
most people don't do their homework on the F-150's. ever see a "package" called 6600 gvwr? or 7350 gvwr? Thats the max tow rate for that particular f-150 based on the frame inside of it.

yes the most sold standard versions of the F-150, tow less than the stock Ranger.

if you want those high tow packages you need to pay for it and massively so.

half the reason i bought a ranger was the best tow ratings, per price. Ranger with tow pacakge/ 7500 lbs. Want a colorado, tacoma, galdiator, f-150, etc that can tow 7500, well you better deep dive into the options, and pacakges because you have to get all the checkboxes correct. miss one and your towing ability is drastically reduced.
Sponsored