Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Unplugging a wire harness is not going to "loosen it up and introduce the possibility of bending one again." The whole reason for the plugs is so that they can be un plugged and plugged back in. I deal with wire harnesses and plugs every single day and it is extremely rare that a pin bends. Usually if a pin gets bent it is because the person doing the work was in a hurry and being careless slamming things together.
Don’t worry, I’ve used these connectors a lot too. And I’ve broken a lot of clips on them. Granted the ones that break are usually old and brittle. I’ve never bent a pin, but if it can happen at the factory why couldn’t it happen here? Not sure what these pins look like...bullets or flat blades?
Sponsored

Mscaff12

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger lariat
All I no is I'm without a truck and it looks like it will be awhile.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got my notice in the mail last Thursday. Had truck in today for 3rd free oil change & service 15000 miles. Service writer had it checked out & passed the recall inspection. They say it is about only 2% affected. Purchased in June, build date 3-29-19. The more inspections they do the more they can narrow it down.

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Inspection pass.

Dropped truck off around 9. Called to check on it around 3. They said it "just got done" guessing it had been done for a while.

I also noted I smelled burnt plastic / crayons and I was aware of a recall with the heater. They said they ran the heater on full for 15 and didn't note anything out of the ordinary. Told me that the smell was "normal" for a new vehicle. If I saw or smelled smoke to bring it back in.

Oh I asked when the recall notification would clear from the app and they said not until the first week of January.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Just got my recall notice in the mail. Says to essentially not do anything until parts are available.

danjhill

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
All I no is I'm without a truck and it looks like it will be awhile.
I purchased my new truck on 12/27/19. They informed me that due to this recall, that Ford would not allow the truck to be taken off the lot. The recall states that parts would be available the first part of January. After making several calls to dealership (service) I am told that there are 2 parts to the recall, there is a TA, and and SA. Mine needs a SA which requires a new connector.. :-(. Service manager tells me now that the due date he is seeing is Feb 16. Ford customer service told me "January". I think that is a canned answer, I tend to more believe the service directors date at this point. I asked if there was an escalation available and then she gave me a case number, which who knows if that does anything. So, it looks like I will be without my brand new truck for nearly 3 months which is totally unreasonable to simply secure a new connector especially having been in the high tech industry for 40 years!!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, I received the recall letter in early January and took the Ranger in to the dealer's shop yesterday. Even though they don't have the parts to fix it yet (if necessary), I still wanted to know if there was any problem. I had tested the lights myself many times with no issues, but had not climbed under the truck to make sure. Anyway, the dealer took about an hour to declare that my truck had "passed." All's well that end's well. Glad I don't have to ride around in some strange and/or inferior vehicle while waiting who-knows-how-long for parts to come in....

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Daniel,

Agreed...wait for the letter that parts are available, then call the dealer to ensure they have parts "on hand"...not orderable..that they have parts on hand particularly for your vehicle. Then take it in. In the meantime check to see if you have taillights/Brake lights. Not that hard to do..you should be able to hit the Brakes in the driveway and tell if there is a red glow behind you...I use my garage door when closed...So far, so good... However, if parts are available and you do not take your vehicle in for the recall, and haven forbid you have a reaender, I have no idea of the legal aspects but would be worried for the legal ramifications. I will wait until parts are on hand and then take it to the dealer and head to the local sports bar, Coach's for a Montana Burger and a Blue Moon draft...Wife will follow me in the MKX and the drop me off to pick up the inspected/repaired vehicle. I know mine is okay by wiggle test/visual as I inspected it, but have to get the stamp of approval from Ford. JMO....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
The wisdom, of "patience":like: And the Blue Moon is pretty good too!!

danjhill

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
The wisdom, of "patience":like: And the Blue Moon is pretty good too!!
Thanks....an interesting dilemma came up yesterday when I called Ford Customer service.....they said there is no instructions not to drive affected rigs.....the dealer says that they will not release my new rig purchased on 12/27 per Ford's instructions.....they say that if they do, they would be fined thousands.....so in the mean time, I am without my new ride. ETA on parts from the dealership is 2/17/2020

GatorBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
My Recall Update
I'm going on 50 days now with a loaner! My dealer too thinks it'll be the middle of February before the replacement tail light assemblies will be available. Yes I understand the dilemma they are in...and appreciate the free loaner BUT it's not the loaded Ranger Lariat I bought less than a year ago. I called Ford Customer Service and complained that I'm paying a lease on a loaded truck but NOT driving one so they're supposedly going to refund my December payment. We'll see if they really do. Once January is over I'm going to ask for another refund, it's only fair!

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The logic here escapes me. It's OK to continue driving it without knowing, but if you know it's bad it's unsafe to drive. Ignorance is bliss. Highly illogical.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Jeez, all this talk about recalls and Ford not releasing vehicles got me panicking...
Went to the NHSTA site, as if yet my 2020 has no recalls...whew! :whew:
FYI, this site searches by VIN, of which my S/Cab is permanently imprinted in my brain.
God knows how many times I've been to Ford's tracking site ever since the VIN became available...lol

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Jeez, all this talk about recalls and Ford not releasing vehicles got me panicking...
Went to the NHSTA site, as if yet my 2020 has no recalls...whew! :whew:
FYI, this site searches by VIN, of which my S/Cab is permanently imprinted in my brain.
God knows how many times I've been to Ford's tracking site ever since the VIN became available...lol
Bro!!

How's the weather there???? I miss the Big Island!

danjhill

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks....an interesting dilemma came up yesterday when I called Ford Customer service.....they said there is no instructions not to drive affected rigs.....the dealer says that they will not release my new rig purchased on 12/27 per Ford's instructions.....they say that if they do, they would be fined thousands.....so in the mean time, I am without my new ride. ETA on parts from the dealership is 2/17/2020
Latest update.....after having Ford customer service tell me that there is no instructions from Ford not to drive the truck(while it is is still a hostage at the dealership) and issuing me a new case number to that effect, the dealership went back to Ford and confirmed that as I had purchased the unit after the recall, that they cannot release it to me. Then while trying to secure parts for the recall, Ford decided they needed more pictures of the connector......are you kidding me? I have been sitting here for 3 weeks expecting I was in queue for parts only to just learn that time was wasted.....what if I had not brought up the issue.... would have waited another 4 weeks only to learn that they then wanted "more pictures?" unbelivable. Over my lifetime, I have dropped nearly $300k on new Fords.....this is the worst experience ever!!!!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Bro!!

How's the weather there???? I miss the Big Island!
Latest update.....after having Ford customer service tell me that there is no instructions from Ford not to drive the truck(while it is is still a hostage at the dealership) and issuing me a new case number to that effect, the dealership went back to Ford and confirmed that as I had purchased the unit after the recall, that they cannot release it to me. Then while trying to secure parts for the recall, Ford decided they needed more pictures of the connector......are you kidding me? I have been sitting here for 3 weeks expecting I was in queue for parts only to just learn that time was wasted.....what if I had not brought up the issue.... would have waited another 4 weeks only to learn that they then wanted "more pictures?" unbelivable. Over my lifetime, I have dropped nearly $300k on new Fords.....this is the worst experience ever!!!!
Outrageous...
Your experiences so far with Ford makes the government of the former Soviet Union look like the model of efficiency.
Sponsored