Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hello Everyone,

I started to notice a very strange smell coming from my A/C, and I discovered others were experiencing a very similar problem. I went to inspect under the hood, and I noticed there is already a significant amount of rust in one specific area. Currently I am sitting at about 2,000 miles and I purchased the truck about 2 months ago. Does this look concerning to anyone?

First time poster here. I have been viewing this forum pretty much everyday, and so far have been loving my Ranger.

Thanks,
Alec

IMG_20200810_205138.jpg
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
What you are seeing in that particular spot is normal. That is the turbocharger and mine has the same look there. The turbocharger puts out A LOT of heat and will do that real quick so i wouldnt be alarmed about.

OP
OP

Alec7358

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
What you are seeing in that particular spot is normal. That is the turbocharger and mine has the same look there. The turbocharger puts out A LOT of heat and will do that real quick so i wouldnt be alarmed about.
Thank you for the quick response! I had a feeling it was something like that. I just did not expect it to happen so quickly.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
No problem. Also since you are in Chicago(America's largest open shooting range) I would suggest doing regular washes of the truck since I'm sure you get a fair bit of salt on the roads there in the winter. Doing that will help keep the truck from getting a bunch of the cancer.

And yes i couldnt help myself on the joke.

OP
OP

Alec7358

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ya things in Chicago have been pretty insane lately. Thankfully not that close to the chaos.

I am dreading the salt to come, but you better believe it I will be washing it as much as possible.

Thanks for the help and piece of mind.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just want to add that turbo housings are cast iron and typically aren't painted because of the extreme heat. And bare cast iron will instantly rust but is just a surface rust. Nothing to worry about. Every turbo ever made will look like that after the first good heat cycle.
Sponsored