Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Montreal (aka winters are very salty) so I have a few questions..
  • How long should I trust the factory rust prevention coating?
  • How often do you guys get your vehicles treated and how much do you normally pay?
  • Have you had any rust problems so far?
Cheers!

I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and manage three body shops. My recommendation is do not undercoat your vehicle as it does very little to protect anything, will eventually come off and create a mess, and is expensive. My recommendation would be to buy a 3M Cavity Wax Kit and spray inside of all doors, fenders, boxsides, rockers and tailgate. Yes the tailgate and fenders are aluminum but this offers additional protection and isn't that expensive. It'll spread and ooze out for several hours but it's suppose to flow. Make sure your vehicle has been dry for a couple days so there is no moisture from humidity or rain inside the panels.

2 cans are enough to do a Ranger which will run you about $50, pretty cheap insurance to do yearly for some of the best corrosion protection you can buy. This is the product recommended by most manufactures for collision repair and is excellent.

In the winter go through a touchless car wash weekly that offers an under body flush.

I've attached a link to the product and a video on it.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/cavity-wax-plus/

Sponsored

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
We are not talking about “undercoating”, the rubberized kind that cracks and fills up with water and rusts underneath it!
The Krown treatment is a type of oil mist/spray that creeps into crevices, etc. and keeps the water out.

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
Hi guys,

Getting my truck in Toronto and have some questions:
1. Is there factory rust protection coating?
2. Should I do rust protection at dealer?
3.Or any good recommendation in GTA (Toronto area)?

Thanks in advance.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
The Krown Rust Preventative Company is based in Canada.
Their website can direct you to the most convenient franchised dealer.

I had my Ranger treated when it arrived in April, but I plan to have it re-treated in October and again annually each October for a fresh pre-winter preparation.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I know I'm jumping on this thread a little late, but I just had my ranger done with NHOil Back to Black System. I like the quality, the smell is not too bad. Pricepoint was fair as well.
RangerUndercoatNHOil1.jpg
RangerUndercoatNHOil2.jpg
They are doing mine in November. I’m getting the wax-type product that the local plow guys are using.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t done it yet, but my neighbor, a shop-owning master mechanic with a plow truck, says it is worth every penny. He does the regular clear oil treatment every year, which costs about what you are being quoted. I am doing the wax treatment, which is about $800, with $99 touch-ups ever other year.

Edit: my appointment is on November 17. I’ll try to get some photos.

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DuckDCoy

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm spraying cosmoline (CRC Marine Corrosion Protector), Fluid Film, and Wool Wax. Using cosmoline on the areas outside of the frame that get blasted with salt and brine. Spraying fluid film inside of my body panels and wool wax on/inside the frame and under the rest of the truck.

This is a pretty informative video that helped me choose products to use on my Ranger;

I’m really surprised at how poorly the krown coat did. After seeing that video I don’t think it’s worth the price of having holes drilled in a brand new truck.

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
Wondering what people have on there rangers for protection

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Definitely fluid film. Over time rubberized undercoating can start to peel and salty road grime can get stuck behind it. It will slowly rust out the frame but you can't see it happening until it's too late. I have an old geo tracker I'm about to take to the scrap yard for that reason. The frame looks fine until you push on it. The only downside to fluid film is you need to spray it every year.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering what people have on there rangers for protection
Hi Deb,

I moved to Arizona....best decision to protect your vehicle. I delt with salt in Michigan and decided to not take a Michigan vehicle to Arizona...Including my 40 ft Motor Home...

Not going to help you but I just had to comment here...life in Southern AZ has its problems, but Margie and I love it...

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Do ford rangers currently have no protection for their undercarriage? Fluid film is something i thought about in future, but figured for now the stock protection should be enough if it had any lol

Reactions: Dmc

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Do ford rangers currently have no protection for their undercarriage? Fluid film is something i thought about in future, but figured for now the stock protection should be enough if it had any lol
The frame is painted but that's it. After a few years it will start to chip and peel. After just one winter in Ohio mine already has a few tiny rust spots forming. Next fall I'll spray it with fluid film to keep the road salt off of it.
Sponsored