Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering a used SmittyBilt tent for my truck. I'm aiming towards the SmittyBilt offering because of price point and frequency of use. As much as I'd like to go with a CVT tent, I wont be using it with the frequency I'd really like to be using it.

Who here has a SmittyBilt tent?
How well is it holding up?
Can it comfortably sleep two adults? (I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs., my wife is 5'2" and 90 lbs..)
How well does it do in inclement weather?

Thank you!
Sponsored

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
A good friend of mine bought one on my recommendation and he loves it. It’s holding up great for him and yes, plenty of room for two adults. The only thing I’ve seen with it is the foam floor dents easily under the weight of knees and such. Purely aesthetic though.

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
A good friend of mine bought one on my recommendation and he loves it. It’s holding up great for him and yes, plenty of room for two adults. The only thing I’ve seen with it is the foam floor dents easily under the weight of knees and such. Purely aesthetic though.
I have a Smitty bilt. Have yet to camp in it. I will probably be pulling it off the truck for a couple of weeks because we will be getting a few weeks straight of rain up in Northern California.

My normal gas mileage was 22.5. With the bottom of the RTT just below the roof top my mileage dropped down to 21. With the bottom of the RTT lowered another six inches gas mileage went up to 21.5.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I considered SB but went with Front Runner instead...price is similar but FR is lower profile and lighter at just under 100lbs...

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Smitty bilt. Have yet to camp in it. I will probably be pulling it off the truck for a couple of weeks because we will be getting a few weeks straight of rain up in Northern California.

My normal gas mileage was 22.5. With the bottom of the RTT just below the roof top my mileage dropped down to 21. With the bottom of the RTT lowered another six inches gas mileage went up to 21.5.
Is there a concern with it being on the truck during weeks of rain? I'll have to permanently store mine on the truck, in my driveway.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a concern with it being on the truck during weeks of rain? I'll have to permanently store mine on the truck, in my driveway.
Mines been on my truck for about 20,000 miles...

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
Not sure, since I'm not gonna use it for awhile figured I'd stow it in the garage.

FordSpeed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
I'm thinking about getting one of the Smittybilt tents also, but in the XL size with either the Yakima overhaul or the RCI rack to support it. Plan on using it for myself, my wife, and two kids (2 and 4 yrs). Anyone used one of these with 4 people? I know it'll be tight, but we only camp a couple times year.

Phessor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Crew Cab
Vehicle Showcase
I have had a Smittybilt XL for a few years and I love it. It isn't a CVT or a Tepui, but it has held up great in the rain, snow, wind and blazing sun.

I originally had it on my Tacoma, but I have since built a little expedition trailer and mounted it on it.
20200730_133832.jpg

20210108_193758.jpg

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm thinking about getting one of the Smittybilt tents also, but in the XL size with either the Yakima overhaul or the RCI rack to support it. Plan on using it for myself, my wife, and two kids (2 and 4 yrs). Anyone used one of these with 4 people? I know it'll be tight, but we only camp a couple times year.
My brother has the XL mounted on an RCI Rack on his Ram Power Wagon. He slept up there for a weekend a month or so ago with his girlfriend and two kids. Both children a little older than your group. He says he has enough space, but he did add extra padding to help the unsupportive mattress. He bought a large memory foam style pad and actually left it inside the folded up tent. I want to see how it looks the next time he opens the tent.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My brother has the XL mounted on an RCI Rack on his Ram Power Wagon. He slept up there for a weekend a month or so ago with his girlfriend and two kids. Both children a little older than your group. He says he has enough space, but he did add extra padding to help the unsupportive mattress. He bought a large memory foam style pad and actually left it inside the folded up tent. I want to see how it looks the next time he opens the tent.
That's my plan- adding a memory foam mattress. I'm also going to put some sort of thin but stuff board down under the mattresses to firm up the base on mine. It gives a little and makes some noise. And then I'm going to string up some lighting. Ughhhhh. So much work to do! I still need to build out/equip my camp kitchen.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use a different RTT but in regards to mattresses, I added two of these under my memory foam mattress for extra comfort and insulation. They work exceptionally well for these purposes, can’t recommend enough. NOT two stacked, but adjacent as that matches my tent’s dimensions. Not cheap but you can usually snag a better deal from Costco if you have a membership. When deflated they’re no more than 3/16” thick. Easily fold up with the tent. Just another option for you guys to look at.
Klymit Insulated Double V Sleeping Pad Orange/Char Black, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6ZAFMR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5YPVMX206BK9B9TFEV4X

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Why don't people take these off when they aren't camping?

I can count hundreds of RTTs on my daily commute. I'd bet MAYBE 5% were used in the last month. Less so now in winter.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why don't people take these off when they aren't camping?

I can count hundreds of RTTs on my daily commute. I'd bet MAYBE 5% were used in the last month. Less so now in winter.
Either coz they like the look or because they’re a PITA to remove and store. Mine gets used and even more so in the winter so mine stays on for the most part.
Sponsored