Rocker panel protector options

tny

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 4x4
Now that I have taken delivery of an extended cab, is super obvious that it is missing a protector. Without it, the shiny red paint is going to be scuffed in no time. I there an OEM option? I wonder if I missed checking it when I ordered.

What are the options available? I have the step bars, but that should not make a difference.
Sponsored

OP
OP

tny

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 4x4
I guess the only option seems to be the Bushwacker mentioned in this thread

Deleted member 1634

I'll try and reignite this thread by asking if anyone has tried doing some bedliner (or the like) protection along their rocker panels? This is an area that always starts to rust so soon, and just happens to also be an area where American auto makers usually think they don't need protection (one of my biggest issues and frustrations). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has done this since this thread was started. I have the magnetic sport trim, so a dark gray application would hopefully match better and look less out of place than the usual black.

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I'll try and reignite this thread by asking if anyone has tried doing some bedliner (or the like) protection along their rocker panels? This is an area that always starts to rust so soon, and just happens to also be an area where American auto makers usually think they don't need protection (one of my biggest issues and frustrations). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has done this since this thread was started. I have the magnetic sport trim, so a dark gray application would hopefully match better and look less out of place than the usual black.
I've thought about doing something like this, but I figured it was something I can hold off deciding for now. Not really sure how quickly rust becomes an issue here living in Utah, but the paint down there definitely gets hammered.

Apparently color matching bedliner is possible though I'm not sure how good it would look with more complex colors. Some day I plan to talk to the Line-x place near my house to see what they think.

Deleted member 1634

I've thought about doing something like this, but I figured it was something I can hold off deciding for now. Not really sure how quickly rust becomes an issue here living in Utah, but the paint down there definitely gets hammered.

Apparently color matching bedliner is possible though I'm not sure how good it would look with more complex colors. Some day I plan to talk to the Line-x place near my house to see what they think.
I ended up doing it a couple months ago. Didn't color match the saber, but rather attempted to color match the magnetic sport trim. Definitely very happy with the results!

IMG_20200530_131334145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160404283_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160415912_HDR.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Rocksliders and mudflaps... minimizing rocks and debris from hitting the rockers is the best option.

For folks that live in a snowy climate the Bushwacker covers will get salt / de-icer / filth stuck between them and the paint.. seems like that would promote corrosion. Just seems like a bad idea to me.

Last edited:

J Wilson

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
I ended up doing it a couple months ago. Didn't color match the saber, but rather attempted to color match the magnetic sport trim. Definitely very happy with the results!

IMG_20200530_131334145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160404283_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160415912_HDR.jpg

J Wilson

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
What color and what brand of paint did you use?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Rocksliders and mudflaps... minimizing rocks and debris from hitting the rockers is the best option.

For folks that live in a snowy climate the Bushwacker covers will get salt / de-icer / filth stuck between them and the paint.. seems like that would promote corrosion. Just seems like a bad idea to me.
Correct! I would never put any kind of cladding over the paint. The damage is awful. You should see the Cherokees with the rocker cladding. If it’s really necessary, LineX then paint over it. I have a long-running relationship with a local body shop, and prefer to have them do any necessary touch-up every spring.

Deleted member 1634

I have mudflaps as well and they only do so much. Had planned on putting running boards on as well to protect even more, still might haven't decided yet, but I wanted to put the bedliner on first. Because I'd have to take them off to do this work anyways.

I was hoping there would be something better out there available, but the Bushwacker covers will end up being worse in the long run like you mentioned. Every vehicle I've ever owned without built in protection has started rusting from the rocker panels within the first half dozen years. So in my mind, what I did seems like the best, if not only, good option without having to repair it every single year. That's what I had to do with my Focus and it was a lot of work, especially since it's the same exact work in the same spot every year. And after awhile it became so extensive I just couldn't keep up. I'm really hoping what I did to mine will at least give me a few extra years. Especially for less than $100 for the whole thing.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Every vehicle I've ever owned without built in protection has started rusting from the rocker panels within the first half dozen years.
Our last truck was an '02 Tacoma TRD. We bought it new, and traded it in on our Ranger.

So that's 17 years. It had zero rust on the rocker panels. Those big dumbo looking mudflaps work, as well as the textured paint protection Toyota puts on at the factory.

It can be done... time will tell if the 5th generation Ranger is as good.
Sponsored