Rob09's White Australian XLT "Not a Build Thread"

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
Ok, so this isn't a build thread. Or a build at all. This is just my new work ute. This thread is just to show some of the similarity's, differences and whatnot, between the Aus-spec and US-spec vehicles. And definitely NOT, to document any mods. Not at all.

I probably should just be thankful, that my employer supplied me a nice, brand-new Ranger (I'm used to Hilux's and Amarok's), on commencement of my new job.

And I am! I love my new job! The people are great, the owner is someone I have always admired, respected, and wanted to work with, and they treat me very well indeed. And the ute (ok, you guys have gotten me used to calling it a truck now), well that was a very kind (and necessary, I guess) gesture too. They had it to me in only a few days, before I'd even started working, so I could get around in the meantime. As I said, great people.

Here she is, the day we (son & I) picked her up.

New.jpg

Pretty, hey? And stock as they come, with only a few options. Tint, all-weather mats, weather shields on the windows and tow-pack, with Redarc Brake Controller and a big 50mm tow-ball.

My son declared, only minutes into the ride home, that it was much quieter and more comfortable than my last few Hilux's and Amarok's. Couldn't help but agree, she (to become a "he") was nice to drive. As the new arrival came on the birthday of my recently deceased, Ford fanatic, grandfather, my son, who names all our cars, declared over a "family, Covid, Zoom, get-together-thing" on Father's Day, that the new truck would be named, "Ned, after Poppy Ned". It was a fitting and touching moniker.

I had declared in my interview, that I wanted my truck to have signwriting, to promote the company the best I could. The livery was designed, approved and I was looking forward to seeing it done. But something bugged me. Not the "modifiers itch" that plagues some of us, but the design for the livery. As great as it looked, it was going to highlight one small issue with the truck. The wheels. The tiny, silver, 17" alloys, that have looked almost identical on every Ranger XLT since Adam was a boy.

They were passable on the truck as it was, but with two company Wildtrak's also getting sign-written, one with jacked up suspension, 20 inch, black, Fuel wheels, bad-ass tires, aftermarket tail lights and I'm sure some other mods, my car was going to look, well "Pov-Pack", as we call it in Aus.

Sure I'm the new guy, but this truck was going to be a rolling billboard for the company, it had to look special. It had to stand out, in a sea of white, tradie, pov-pack Rangers. It had to be eye-catching, when swamped in supermarket carparks, by a fleet of new XLT's, all with with black rims and a 1" lift. Trucks that declared the owner had either done well for himself, or that a young carpentry apprentice, had borrowed all the bank would lend him to buy a "cool truck". Something had to be done.

Truth is, it was just going to look shit, with signwriting, tiny wheels, stock AT-tires, and fake chrome, literally EVERYWHERE. So I mentioned to the owner, that if it was going to be a billboard for the company, it was going to need some new shoes. He agreed, it would look average with the factory wheels. I kind of took that as permission. So I started skipping through wheel ads in my spare time.

As it turns out, my son has some taste (IMO) when it comes to cars. I'm guessing a lifetime of Hot Wheels will do that. So I started showing him some of the wheels I came across. Nothing, no interest in any of them, until I saw a Facebook Marketplace ad for a set of Ford OEM 20's, brand-new, w/tires, off a 2021 Everest. He loved them. Knowing that the Everest was basically a Ranger for soccer mum's, I figured they'd fit and made a stupid offer for the wheels, not expecting a reply. Turns out said guy was moving, his wife had said anything not required, had to go, and boom, I had bought a set of wheels. Cheap. Probably should have rang the owner first, but he had agreed with me previously, so I figured easier to beg forgiveness, than to ask permission.

Now, with at least some decent shoes, I could leave well-enough alone, knowing it would look "ok", when the signwriting went on.

Here she is, less "Pov-Pack".

1.jpg

A noticeable improvement, job done...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob09

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
So, before we go any further, a quick rundown on the Aussie XLT, which I've been told is different to the US XLT. This is basically the mid-tier spec of Ranger in Aus, after the Raptor, Wildtrak/Wildtrak X & FX4 (I'm not a Ranger expert, so if any Aussies see this and I've made a mistake, please let me know), but above the XL, XLS & Sport.

Basically, in 4WD trim, it gets such niceties as tub liner, bi-LED headlights, folding/heated mirrors, the big SYNC 3 screen, sports bar, unique grill, keyless entry/start,, etc. Mine has optional Tech pack too, w/radar cruise and self parking. Oh, and an absolute shitload of fake chrome. I mean EVERYWHERE!

All-in-all, a reasonably nice place to be. Along with the Hilux SR5 and other similar offerings, it's a genuine step-up, from the more trade/work orientated trucks. It's where you start if you want a truck, that can double as a family car on weekends. It doesn't have leather (option), which is about my only gripe.

Anyway, with the wheels on, it just needed that huge RANGER sticker and XLT badge removed from the tailgate. This took all of 10 minutes and, once again, the truck was job done, ready for signwriting.

Except the stupid, massive, blue Ford badges. No offence to Ford fans, but they looked ridiculous, and with the camera housing at the back and recess in the grill at the front, they couldn't be removed easily.

Then I saw them. Black, front and back, Ford badges. Perfect I thought. They're subtle, they're just an OEM accessory and, well, one small mod won't hurt.

And here begins the slippery slope. I clicked purchase and did the five minute install.

7.jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0980.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob09

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
Okey, with the truck now looking about a million times better, @AzScorpion introduced me to 303 Graphene. Well colour me impressed, the stuff worked wonders, and for some strange reason, I started taking photos of my work truck. Odd, I know.

74DD4BD3-A064-4A8C-AAD8-0231AEDFCAEE.jpeg

But a couple of things bothered me. Firstly, the stock halogen fog lamps. WTF would you go to all the cost and effort of putting Bi-LED lights, with LED DRL’s, on a truck, then save $10, on a $60k+ truck, by making the fogs halogen? Especially when the fog lights themselves are a straight swap for basically every other Ford with LED fogs ever made. I’ll tell you why, Wildtrak. That thing needed more than leather, black wheels and a stupid sailplane/roller cover, to justify the price over the XLT.

Halogen V LED

3C0ADDFB-6C2E-4E99-B840-4979B1D76D20.jpeg

9D3EB413-F73D-4B2B-BC4F-C6A6463DAA8D.jpeg

Anyway, the halogen fogs not only looked stupid, with all the other lights being LED, but they straight out didn’t work. So I ripped them out and replaced them with LED fogs from the Raptor. Simple, effective and functional. I could now use them as driving lights in the back country, they work that well.

Pics of them working “that well”

A2988B1B-47F1-4240-B342-C382ECAB704B.jpeg
029AD08C-8E75-4B00-9A30-32BF21481251.jpeg

At this point a decision was made. By me. It was ok to make small, subtle and tasteful mods, on one proviso… They had to be either OEM, or look and function, like they could be OEM… ish. I’m trying here guys…

Last edited:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Lookin good mate, I was lucky I bought mine secondhand and the previous owner had kindly already put must of the stuff I wanted on for me, ARB bar, ARB Ascent Canopy, snorkel, set of drawers in the back, a better tow bar, and a decent set of tyres.

But no tailgate damper!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Rob your ute (truck) is looking really nice! :like: Just because it's not technically yours doesn't mean you can't take pride in it. It sounds like you have a nice boss to work for, it makes getting up going to work so mush easier. I'm glad the Graphene worked out the second time around, it really looks good on white.:sunglasses:

OP
OP
Rob09

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
Rob your ute (truck) is looking really nice! :like: Just because it's not technically yours doesn't mean you can't take pride in it. It sounds like you have a nice boss to work for, it makes getting up going to work so mush easier. I'm glad the Graphene worked out the second time around, it really looks good on white.:sunglasses:
Mate, 4 years is a long time to drive a stock truck!

And that’s the next rule. All mods must be removable and/or reversible, so I can sell them all when I move to my next one down the track.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Mate, 4 years is a long time to drive a stock truck!

And that’s the next rule. All mods must be removable and/or reversible, so I can sell them all when I move to my next one down the track.
That's why I didn't wait to mod my truck! I didn't want to drive it around stock for years, LOL! I'm not planning on selling mine though, hoping this will last me until after I retire :)

OP
OP
Rob09

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
Ok, so now it was time to fix the rear lights. They’re in for an LED upgrade too, shortly, but in the meantime, swapped out the chrome XLT lights for the “way less chrome, lots more grey” Wildtrak lights.

XLT-
F35E6BF4-6446-431B-9400-78316C7A135A.jpeg

F661F461-5D2C-445D-8726-FB2B88FF13B7.jpeg

Vs Wildtrak -

249F7980-5259-4853-B8E3-F50A007930C7.jpeg

6F95EE4F-E702-4E1F-B86A-F3B6CD29D0D6.jpeg

2639741D-2F01-4343-B90F-F0803CC09FCD.jpeg

Again, cheap (so many over here swap from new for aftermarket lights, these were brand new for $100), simple, OEM and made a big difference to the overall look.

At this point, it was time to focus on removing more chrome. I was going to go body colour for mirrors and door handles, but was hard to find and/or expensive (I’m not sure, but I don’t think any Aus Rangers have body coloured mirrors).

Didn’t want to do the traditional “Black on white” look. It works, but I’ve done it before and I wanted to try something different. Then I realised the painted sections on my rims looked to be a familiar colour…

8A3D4EB2-1DE0-4554-9F70-45946B353E18.jpeg

Looked like Bolder Grey (Wildtrak accent colour) to me. So I started looking and came across a pair of unused Wildtrak (WT) mirrors for $70. This also added puddle lights and started the ideas to replace as much chrome as possible with this colour. In no way to try and emulate a WT (I don’t like the front, or the sailplane, or the roof rails, or the stickers…) just for something other than black.

OP
OP
Rob09

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
So, when you’re on a roll, keep going. So I bought a black FX4 grill and ripped it apart, to keep the bezel only. This, along with the fog light surrounds and a cheap cover for the tailgate handle, were all off to be painted the same grey.

I also bought some WT Grey covers for the door handles and fender vents. But just as I went to fit them, I came across a set of genuine WT door handles (with keyless sensors) for cheap as, so stuff it, bought them too. Turns out the rear handles were the wrong (older) WT Grey, but as luck would have it, my painter was just about to paint my other parts, so he offered to paint them at the same time.

So here we are. Hopefully pick up all the painted bits tomorrow, for a Christmas Eve install.

Threw on the fender vents last night (they need a bit of work, but it’s on the list over Christmas break) and installed the front handles today to make sure all the sensors/buttons worked. With a bit of luck, this time tomorrow, the outside will be all but done. Besides the graphics anyway.

22E314E7-5718-433A-8D43-031379C38D4E.jpeg

778633E1-0934-4A68-BCEF-E81A21D09975.jpeg

OP
OP
Rob09

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
So grill, fog covers, door handles etc back from the painters. Cracking job and all looks the goods on the car. Today I need to do some minor work to the side vents, then just needs a few things.

B49D5C5A-248F-467C-8143-68F176EF93EC.jpeg

29B32F7D-8EC0-48CD-A3AE-5C9649A430C8.jpeg

68E84072-BBB7-43CB-90FF-C787670CFF39.jpeg

1- Chrome rear bumper has to go. I was hoping to wrap it, but the vinyl wasn’t a close enough match. Still having trouble sourcing a Wildtrak bumper. Not sure what to do here.

2- Chrome “Sports Bar”has to go too. Not sure what I’m doing here, if I leave it off completely, or get an FX4 one and have it painted grey.

3- Aerial needs to be a stubby one.

Then just the graphics to be done and outside is finished.

Well, I am considering a 2 inch levelling kit to square up the front and I’ll change out some of the globes that aren’t LED, but it’s mostly done anyway.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
So grill, fog covers, door handles etc back from the painters. Cracking job and all looks the goods on the car. Today I need to do some minor work to the side vents, then just needs a few things.

B49D5C5A-248F-467C-8143-68F176EF93EC.jpeg

29B32F7D-8EC0-48CD-A3AE-5C9649A430C8.jpeg

68E84072-BBB7-43CB-90FF-C787670CFF39.jpeg

1- Chrome rear bumper has to go. I was hoping to wrap it, but the vinyl wasn’t a close enough match. Still having trouble sourcing a Wildtrak bumper. Not sure what to do here.

2- Chrome “Sports Bar”has to go too. Not sure what I’m doing here, if I leave it off completely, or get an FX4 one and have it painted grey.

Then just the graphics to be done and outside is finished.

Well, I am considering a 2 inch levelling kit to square up the front and I’ll change out some of the globes that aren’t LED, but it’s mostly done anyway.
Shame you're down in Sydney, otherwise I would take the standard XLT rear bumper off your hands, as someone kindly put a ding in mine. I did consider getting a blue painted ARB unit to match the front bar, but the previous version is hard to find S/H and I don't like the new shape as much, and the asking price even less so.

OP
OP
Rob09

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
So, just three things to get sorted...

1- Chrome rear bumper.

A- Found an unused FX4 MAX bumper (same Bolder Grey) and snapped it up. Instantly transformed the back of the truck. Sure, it looks black at times, but it's better than chrome. While I was there, removed the tow hitch, will just have it on when I need it. Job done, back looks 10x better.

2- Chrome “Sports Bar”.

A- Simple, rip it off. Five min job again, changed the whole look. See below.

A- Easiest yet. Ebay, $10, my five y/o installed it.

While I was at it, I also replaced the plastic, stock, side-steps with FX4 MAX (Tremor) ones.

All up, truck looks better and outside is done (bar the sign writing). Unless I can find a way to add some red tow-hooks and the red trim from the Tremor grills that you guys get, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, it's been fun playing with the Truck with my son, so may even make some subtle changes to the interior next.

As she sits today...

Steps.jpg

HBZE8896.JPG

anubushman

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
This looks amazing and is exactly what I'm planning on doing with mine. I also have a RHD XLT.

Planning on making it look like a WT Thunder minus all of the other WT stuff that OP had mentioned.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc