Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning - Anyone else?

ShawnYZ250F

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired US Air Force, Defense Contractor Now
Hello,

I searched the forums and didn't find anything related to the Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning. I have been getting this light on and off over the last week and notification on the ford pass App. I've had a book bag in the front seat and other items in the back seats. Never got a person not wearing a seat belt warning just straight to the light coming on.

Only code that reads is the U0422 but that seems to be from changing the tire size with my Livernois tuner.

Shawn

IMG_8109.jpeg

PNG image.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShawnYZ250F

ShawnYZ250F

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
if you take the items off the seats completely?
what happens?
Nothing changes. The items are not heavy enough to give me the seat belt warnings or anything. I was just reaching for what ifs as to the cause of the system.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing changes. The items are not heavy enough to give me the seat belt warnings or anything. I was just reaching for what ifs as to the cause of the system.
Hi Shawn,

There is a wiring issue or a seat sensor defect....take it to the dealer and have it fixed. If it was your book bag and you put it on the floor it would have changes....The sensor is likely the problem in my opinion..

At the beginning of Air Bags there were so many complaints of having to belt in a sack of groceries that things have progressed to not have this kind of problem. Something is wrong....get the dealer to fix.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I had that error when I took out the back seat and forgot to plug the seat belt sensor back in

OP
OP
ShawnYZ250F

ShawnYZ250F

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
I had that error when I took out the back seat and forgot to plug the seat belt sensor back in
Thanks! I'll check that and the other connections out in the morning. I did take the seat belt upper attach point down when I ran the wiring for the Ford electric brake controller kit. Other wise the plan is to flash it to stock and stop by the dealer. I'm really thinking it had something to do with the excessive heat around 113 we had last week.

OP
OP
ShawnYZ250F

ShawnYZ250F

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Closing the loop on this. Today the light was on and I stopped by Ford. It turned out to be a broken wire in the passenger seat system.

Sketch

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Public Affairs
Vehicle Showcase
I received this same error yesterday. Local dealer said to drop off my truck in the morning and leave it there until they can take a look at it. This is my daily driver and I can't just leave it for an undetermined amount of time. So, I guess for now I'll try and troubleshoot the seatbelt wiring under the seats and see what I find.

OP
OP
ShawnYZ250F

ShawnYZ250F

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
I received this same error yesterday. Local dealer said to drop off my truck in the morning and leave it there until they can take a look at it. This is my daily driver and I can't just leave it for an undetermined amount of time. So, I guess for now I'll try and troubleshoot the seatbelt wiring under the seats and see what I find.
Since I had already let them check it out and couldn't find anything the first time in. I pulled up and never turned it off. They had a tech come up with the laptop and he was able to narrow it down to the passenger seat. Sorry I don't know where at he found the break, but I did notice the harness was poking out on the forward side of the seat. Without the laptop to watch real time errors your problem could be anywhere in the system.

DJRPM4131

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2016 Mazda CX-5
I had the "Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning" come on this past week.
Took it to the Dealer. It was Mice. The little bastards chewed thru the signal wire.
They also did some heavy damage to the HVAC box. It looks like it could get pretty expensive. I filed a claim with my Insurance co. Still waiting for the adjuster to have a look at the Ranger.
I have been mice hunting in my garage for the last few days. I feel like Carl Spackler (Bill Murry) in Caddyshack.
The Total estimate from the Dealer came in at $2900.

Last edited:

geekcohen

First Name
Cohen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger FX4 PX3
Occupation
IT Manager
Just for anyone else's future reference, I had this issue and it was a clock spring. It failed on a bit of a bumpy road. The car was only 3 months old at the time which was a bit of a surprise.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Just for anyone else's future reference, I had this issue and it was a clock spring. It failed on a bit of a bumpy road. The car was only 3 months old at the time which was a bit of a surprise.
Clock spring????

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, Clock Spring. Its part of the steering wheel.
Oh, I know what a clock spring is but I was having a bit of a time connecting it with a restraint error - after thinking on it, I guess if the clock spring isn’t in contact with the steering wheel’s airbag, it could be throwing that code. ?

It sure sucks that a bumpy road would bugger up your clock spring. I’d be surprised too.

geekcohen

First Name
Cohen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger FX4 PX3
Occupation
IT Manager
Oh, I know what a clock spring is but I was having a bit of a time connecting it with a restraint error - after thinking on it, I guess if the clock spring isn’t in contact with the steering wheel’s airbag, it could be throwing that code. ?

It sure sucks that a bumpy road would bugger up your clock spring. I’d be surprised too.
Correct. It was just random and I was just on a bumpy track on a friends property. It wasn't at speak or full 4wd, but enough to cause an issue. It was surprising especially when the car was only 3 months old at the time.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I have hundreds of this warning in my log.

But then again I did a rear seat delete and removed all the belts. I need to go in Forscan, from my understanding there is a setting (mainly for police vehicles) to disable this, but I have not gotten to it yet. lol
Sponsored