First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Does anyone know how to wipe what the adaptive transmission has learned and start over from scratch? I'm close to 2000 miles on my Ranger and still don't feel that it shifts as smoothly as the one I originally test drove. My Ranger is too new to be covered by the TSB that others have had good luck with. So, before spending the time taking it to the dealership to bother them with it (I have notified the service manager of my concern), I'd like to try this and see if it gets better.

I found the adaptive learning drive cycle from the shop manual. Maybe simply disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will reset the learned values?
Sponsored

Attachments

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The learning isn't doing what you seem to think it's doing--it's just learning the spacing between gears within the manufacturing tolerances. And it does that continuously.

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch, 2013 Lincoln MKX, 1977 Datsun 280Z, Various Can Am 'Toys', Mahindra Tractor
I talked asked a Ford technician yesterday the same question because I've noticed that my transmission shifts much differently, and better than when I first bought the truck (1555 miles ago). I didn't really like how it shifted the first 1000 miles, but once I started getting a bit more aggressive (after I did a full fluid change), it started shifting the way I like it. For example, when I'm accelerating slowly it skips a bunch of shifts, but when I drive a bit more aggressively, it doesn't.

He said continuous learning -- probably on 100 - 150 mile cycles. So, I'm liking the way it shifts now, but didn't when I first got it.

On a side note -- have you tried driving in "S"port? I find my truck goes like a scalded dog.

Hope this helps.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It doesnt seem to indicate the requirement to reset the computer. it sounds like the timed shifts to neutral and reverse are what identify to the computer that you are running the cycle, and it is just calibrating itself to a standard on speed and RPM. But what would it hurt disconnecting your battery other than the usual presets needing to be redone.

I would think a nice long straight road with no traffic would be the best place to carry this out.

Let us know if it makes a difference. perhaps this is what a number of people need to do post TSB or not.

I guess driving it like I stole it right off the lot wasn't a good learning experience for my transmission.
Hi RP,

Your transmission will forgive you and eventually unlearn its bad habits you taught it...:)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored