• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Report: 2022/2023 Ranger PHEV hybrid is coming

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
I hope this article has some truth to it.

2022 Ford Ranger PHEV is Reportedly in the Works - 2021 Pickup Trucks

Hybrid System With Impressive Performances
The upcoming 2022 Ford Ranger PHEV will ride on a T6 body-on-frame architecture. This platform can accommodate hybrid setup, and the same platform underpins new Ford Everest. Ford plans to build a hybrid system around 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine.

In combination with electric motors and battery pack, this output should deliver around 500 lb-ft of torque and 362 hp. Moreover, Ford will offer a new 10-speed automatic transmission. Thanks to that, Ranger PHEV will depart from the 3.0-liter and 2.5-liter PHEV setups in the new Explorer and Escape models. Models in Europe and Australia will get a diesel variant but not in the United States. However, we are still waiting for exact engine specs.

I am hoping this will be true. Just not wishing to purchase just a combustion motor in the future.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Won’t give us diesel. That’s just wrong ?

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
I fully expect Ford to put Hybrid powertrains in a majority of their vehicles, the Ranger included, over the next few years. I agree that a hybrid Ranger would be great! The amount of fuel I waste just driving back and forth to work every weekday eats me up inside. Obviously the perfect solution is to have a separate full electric car for that type of stuff. But I, like most I'm sure, can't afford to do that. It would be so nice to have an electric, or hybrid, mode to use during that time, and still have all the truck capabilities for the weekend adventures and cross country road trips.
I think a Ranger plug-in hybrid will be an ideal compromise, Matt. With the plug-in you should be able to get 40 miles or so on EV before the ICE kicks in. This would also help out us folks that are getting oil dilution because of short trips on the ICE. I'll have to give it a serious look assuming it will tow my 4000 lb boat okay. It would also serve nicely as a backup generator for your house assuming it has a similar inverter setup that the F-150 hybrid does.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Yes, ideal. If you are going to off road with the Ranger you still want a ICE motor. It looks like the system will not be generating charging from the braking. That's ok less parts. 60KM range will be ok with my short commute. Then I can charge it at work. I cannot see in the foreseeable my apartment putting in the infrastructure for a charging station. Do not like the inconvenience of waiting for batteries to charge and then not being able to just leave my car parked. Pumping gas is much quicker. We will have to see how they will try to gouge the owners of ICE motors in the future. Where I live they are planning more carbon taxes. I kinda laugh at electric vehicles, The governments/industry will have to generate increased revenue/taxes from the profits and taxes lost from ICE motors

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I should start another Topic, but they do not have a hybrid section on Ranger6G

I was wondering what the life span of the Hybrid batteries is.

Here's an article on the tropic.

Electric Car Battery Life: Everything You Need to Know (caranddriver.com)

Battery Life Expectancy

Every battery in an electric car sold in the U.S. comes with a warranty that lasts for a minimum of eight years or up to 100,000 miles, says CarFax. For example, Kia offers a battery pack warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles, while Hyundai provides a lifetime coverage of its electric cars' batteries.

This standard warranty is excellent, but remember to take a look at the fine print. Some manufacturers only cover the battery if it completely dies and cannot hold a charge, which does not happen often. Brands like BMW, Chevrolet, Tesla, Volkswagen, and Nissan will cover a battery pack if its capacity drops to a certain percentage, usually 60 to 70 percent.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
It looks like the system will not be generating charging from the braking. That's ok less parts.
Did you see something documenting that there would not be regenerative braking? This would surprise me since the F-150 hybrid has regenerative braking as well as all other Ford hybrids that I am aware of.

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Did you see something documenting that there would not be regenerative braking? This would surprise me since the F-150 hybrid has regenerative braking as well as all other Ford hybrids that I am aware of.
I thought I had read it somewhere. If the other models had that feature it would make sense that The Ranger would come with it.

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Comparing to what's on the market buy Ford

the Escape PHEV packs a 14.4-kilowatt-hour battery that should provide 37 miles of electric range on a full charge. It takes 3.3 hours to charge on a 240-volt Level 2 charger. The Escape easily returns a 44MPG fuel economy in the city, 37 on highways, and combined efficiency of 41 MPG. These are outstanding and class-leading numbers, The 2021 Ford Escape PHEV is offered in a 2.0L inline-4 turbocharged engine,. The engine itself makes around 250 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque. and it is paired to a 88 KW electric motor,

HEV uses a gas and electric motor, with regenerative braking. It does not need to be plugged in.

PHEV uses a gas and electric motor, with regenerative braking. It needs to be plugged in.

EV vehicles have an ingenious and quite effective regenerative braking system. The regen system, however, generally has the effect of slowing down the car too fast. And as such, there should be a proper mingling of the regen braking as well as the mechanical braking just so levels of comfort are maintained, and the braking feels natural.

I am a little concerned about the vague feel in the transmission on PHEV vehicles, trying to optimize fuel economy.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Feel is subjective and only you can determine the feel you're comfortable with.

I'll just say that my wife's 2020 Escape Hybrid (not plug-in) is wonderful. She regularly gets mid to upper 40s mpg. And if I'm driving it I can eek out around 50mpg with my light foot. If they put something similar in the new Ranger that would be great.
At this point probably the only thing that would spur me to trade my 2019 is if they come out with a hybrid Ranger that significantly improves the MPG - if they came out with a hybrid that had a crew cab and a 6' bed it would be pretty much a slam dunk for me.....

We have a 2016 C-Max Hybrid and it has worked out well for us as well, getting in the low to mid 40's typically. Technology keeps getting better and better.

Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I keep going back and forth. One minute I'm hoping for a manual 6g Ranger (since the Bronco has one ready and waiting), the next I say I'll go with a hybrid Ranger. haha

Either way, I won't trade my 2019 XLT in for anything until it's time for it to go. And I'll probably go with a manual (especially in green) if they have. If not, I'll get the hybrid, if they have it.

Definitely not holding out hopes for a manual, but a guy can dream. haha
I love the 10 speed - I like manuals, but my knees can't take a manual in daily driving anymore. I'm really looking forward to seeing what is officially announced for the 6g model. Given how much I love my 2019, the only thing that would really convince me to trade it in would be significantly better mileage - it works great for everything else I need . The 6 foot bed would be an added bonus - it seems like they really need to add that as an option on a crew cab to be competitive.

I think there is hope for some synergy with the Bronco (making a manual somewhat more likely) since they will be assembled on the same line.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What Ford PHEV's are capable of, 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid charging a Tesla with on board Generator

For Science: Fuel consumption of the 7.2 kW Pro Power Onboard generator in the 2021 Ford F-150 hybrid - EV Pulse
Wow - that is pretty cool. I had never even thought of using the onboard generator that way. It could be used as an emergency generator for the house as well if you have a cutoff switch installed.

Hopefully the new Ranger will have this as well. This would be a killer feature.
Sponsored