Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger (Saber)
Occupation
Logistics
Vehicle Showcase
Any suggestions for a removable roof rack for the new Rangers? I am not looking to spend the time or money in putting something permanent on the roof, but would like to be able to haul my 10' kayak and leave bed space available for camping gear when I go out for a weekend.

Has anyone tried anything yet, could use some reviews/suggestions. I would like something that can be left on for long periods of time, but is easily removed as well. Additionally i would like to avoid something that is going to damage the paint.
Sponsored

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I’ve got a Thule that I had for my Focus, I just need to purchase new pads for it to fit the Ranger.

That’s on and off with lockable feet and has kayak, rack, bicycle, and other attachments.

I’ve got my bike, both of my teenage sons, and their friends to the extra space is nice to get three bikes out of the bed.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Heres mine, I had the Thule bars and 480 foot pack for a few trucks, since the Ranger is new to North America but not the rest of the world I was able to get a fit kit from Europe to match these older feet to my truck instead of having to get a whole new set up. Euro fit kit 1665 works on our Ranger, both Thule and Yakima make setups to fit if you are going new.

20190529_162830_resized.jpg

j_slate

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge... until I can get a Ranger when I graduate
Occupation
Structural Engineer
3DC27243-0F9A-4C9D-9E97-3D1ECD58B6B1.jpeg
98C9CC1A-6538-4C7B-8F98-D63DB711E41A.png
The Yakima Overhaul has base plates that stay mounted to the bed rails making the rack itself removable in less than a minute.
https://www.yakima.com/overhaul-hd

It’s a pretty penny but it’s height adjusts from 19” all the way to 30”. It has an off-road rating of 300 lbs, on road rating of 500 lbs, and a static load rating of 800 lbs.

Nofosrfcstr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 sport
Heres mine, I had the Thule bars and 480 foot pack for a few trucks, since the Ranger is new to North America but not the rest of the world I was able to get a fit kit from Europe to match these older feet to my truck instead of having to get a whole new set up. Euro fit kit 1665 works on our Ranger, both Thule and Yakima make setups to fit if you are going new.

20190529_162830_resized.jpg
I'd like to set this up on my Ranger. Would it be possible for you to take some pics of how it's mounted to the roof?

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to set this up on my Ranger. Would it be possible for you to take some pics of how it's mounted to the roof?
Both yakima and thule over the roof options mount the same way. You have crossbars that are mounted to a generic clamp/holder. The clamp is then paired with a vehicle specific kit/footpack that is essentially a rubber base and coated "hook" that cams in between the door and the roof.

Here's a link to an install video for thule.

Nofosrfcstr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 sport
Both yakima and thule over the roof options mount the same way. You have crossbars that are mounted to a generic clamp/holder. The clamp is then paired with a vehicle specific kit/footpack that is essentially a rubber base and coated "hook" that cams in between the door and the roof.

Here's a link to an install video for thule.

This was a big help, thank you very much! I've got a rack on order now. Much appreciated.

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Thule bars and 480 foot pack ... I was able to get a fit kit from Europe to match these older feet to my truck instead of having to get a whole new set up. Euro fit kit 1665 works
Todd, can you share where you got the Euro fit kit 1665 from?
Also, how long are your Thule bars?

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
LEt me see what I can find, ebay I believe

https://www.ebay.ca/usr/drbcarspares?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

This is the seller I used and he was fine with shipping it overseas,, but that was almost a year ago so I dont know if he will still have them. Lots of Rangers in Oz as well, so that could be a source, google Thule fit kit 1665 and see what comes up, it fits euro/Oz spec Rangers and Mazda B50.

My bars are 56" as thats what I had, but I dont think you,d want to be much shorter.

Since I had all this already and the old style 480 feet, I decided it was the best way to go for me, If I was starting from scratch Id likely get the new kits that are readily available over here.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Thanks Todd.
I would also go with the new fine looking Evo Wingbar style.
However, with a few older style on Craigslist at $100 the new price of around $500 is less attractive.
I'll see if I can find the fitting kit.
Sponsored