Remote Transmission Dip Stick Aftermarket Support?

Would you get in line to buy one?

• Total voters

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
It's interesting how the looms are slightly different between the trucks, I tried to track model, year, nothing really correlated, it's some production variance at the vendor for the looms.

So, interesting story about Ford and wire looms, I knew a guy who worked with a automotive contractor, Ford paid to have all it's wire looms edited to see if they could shorten the amount of wire in vehicles, it took months he said, every model got dissected and all the loom drawings got reworked, saved some outrageous amount of wire.

He said it was a whole parking lot full of cars with the looms hanging out of them.

Kinda of a meaningless bit of trivia.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I believe there is one cold reading that is necessary, especially when changing out the pan to a new deep pan AND a new filter....
If, like me, your pumping the old fluid out from the OE pan, when cold, and also installing a new filter, it would be nice to get a ball park # of qts to use to fill a COLD trans with a new deep pan AND a filter...
Remember, when changing the filter your gonna have fluid left in it, so when installing a new filter, you need to know how much fluid to add to bring it up to a level the will submerge the new filter......you don't want to start to drive if the fluid in the pan is to low.
I have read in several posts that the member added 9 qts to a deep pan and new filter....which seem about right, figuring 6 qts from the old OE pan, a qt that replaced the fluid in the old filter, and around 2 qts for the xtra capacity of the deep pan==9 qts.
Steve, when I did my fluid and filter change, I pumped out as much as possible (with the electric pump) into a marked bucket...7 quarts came out (including what was in the sump and filter), 7 quarts went back in...

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Steve, when I did my fluid and filter change, I pumped out as much as possible (with the electric pump) into a marked bucket...7 quarts came out (including what was in the sump and filter), 7 quarts went back in...
That was with the OE pan and new filter ???
Than with the new deep pan with xtra 2 qt capacity, adding around 9 would be about right.
I'll probably start off with 8 and add a bit at a time. Right now my fluid, per the Fitzstick is right on the money, and of course I will measure what I pump out....should give me a starting # for fluid needed.
I picked up my filter this morning, and have everything ready to go....this coming weekend will be the swap time.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
That's why you see in the notes, the cold check will be about 1/16" off until it warms up, I should not get so specific here, other stick builders just got a freebie data point.
Not necessarily, I suspect expansion rates differ by diameter and hose composition. And it takes a great deal of time to determine that expansion rate. Multiple testing cycles, both hot and cold, promptly removing, measuring, and installing both dipsticks during each cycle. Cold cycle easy enough... Hot cycle not so simple a task, and certainly not risk free (think burns).

Frankly, I doubt anyone will go to that level of testing... and another reason to purchase your product.

- T

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Than with the new deep pan with xtra 2 qt capacity, adding around 9 would be about right.
I'll probably start off with 8 and add a bit at a time. Right now my fluid, per the Fitzstick is right on the money, and of course I will measure what I pump out....should give me a starting # for fluid needed.
I picked up my filter this morning, and have everything ready to go....this coming weekend will be the swap time.
What deep pan are you referencing? My old style PPE deep pan documentation states 1.75 quarts additional capacity. Not sure about the new style PPE pan or the competition.

Last edited:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not necessarily, I suspect expansion rates differ by diameter and hose composition. And it takes a great deal of time to determine that expansion rate. Multiple testing cycles, both hot and cold, promptly removing, measuring, and installing both dipsticks during each cycle. Cold cycle easy enough... Hot cycle not so simple a task, and certainly not risk free (think burns).

Frankly, I doubt anyone will go to that level of testing... and another reason to purchase your product.

- T
Yes, everything will expand differently, when I was measuring the expansion, I wondered how much one of those Econoline dipsticks must expand, those things are like 4.5' long.

And Yes, that was the goal, an aftermarket dipstick with factory looks, markings and function, just bolt it in.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
What deep pan are you referencing? My old style PPE deep pan documentation states 1.75 quarts additional capacity. Not sure aboutr the new style PPE pan or the competition.
Mishimoto Deep Pan...their info indicates 2 xtra quarts....but it may be a bit less. I'm going to start with 8 qts and add more as needed, up to around 9 qts.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That was my case...I'd go by what you can extract and put that back in...you may get more or less...

Last edited:

Junior Blue

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightening Blue Ranger Lariat Crew
Yes, everything will expand differently, when I was measuring the expansion, I wondered how much one of those Econoline dipsticks must expand, those things are like 4.5' long.

And Yes, that was the goal, an aftermarket dipstick with factory looks, markings and function, just bolt it in.
Mike
Add me to the list. I'ld like to install one of these sticks in my '19 Lariat 4x2
Thank You
Pete

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is the list, you just added yourself!!

Thank you very much for your interest!

Mike.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Look what I just got! :inlove:

20231206_112621.jpg

Thanks Mike!

LM3929

First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired Fire fighter, Emergence Vehicle Tech, Commercial Vehicle Tech
how can I buy one of your dipstick kits?

Lorne m

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
how can I buy one of your dipstick kits?

Lorne m
Lorne, just say "add me to the list". Mike will add you to his list. As units become available, Mike will send out a PM with payment/shipping instructions.

I'm hoping to to get a PM with the next batch that he makes available.
Sponsored