Remote start inconsistent - Truck seems to be asleep

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
So I use the remote starter some mornings to get the dew off the windows, and start the oil moving before I get outside.

Most mornings it seems that the truck does not respond to lock or unlock requests, and won't remote start.

This morning, I tried 3 times with my key, and thinking that the battery might be getting low, I tried my second key (it's only been used 3-4x). Truck didn't make a single noise.

After failing with the second key, I went back to the primary key, and it started right up.

Now I notice if I walk out by the truck that it will make the telltale beep-ish noise, and everything works fine after that.

Could it be going to sleep due to a low battery or something? And if so, how would I tell short of testing the battery?

This is only after sitting overnight, so it's not hitting the "deep sleep" mode mentioned in the FordPass App or manual.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Mine only seems to work if I make a slight pause between pushing lock and then hit the start button twice, not too quickly there either.

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might be too quick on the trigger. I'll slow it down and see if that helps.

Thanks!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Mine only seems to work if I make a slight pause between pushing lock and then hit the start button twice, not too quickly there either.
I literally hit the lock button then slide my finger down and double click the start button and have had no problems. I've had many remote starts from factory to aftermarket and this one is the most responsive by far.

So I use the remote starter some mornings to get the dew off the windows, and start the oil moving before I get outside.

Most mornings it seems that the truck does not respond to lock or unlock requests, and won't remote start.

This morning, I tried 3 times with my key, and thinking that the battery might be getting low, I tried my second key (it's only been used 3-4x). Truck didn't make a single noise.

After failing with the second key, I went back to the primary key, and it started right up.

Now I notice if I walk out by the truck that it will make the telltale beep-ish noise, and everything works fine after that.

Could it be going to sleep due to a low battery or something? And if so, how would I tell short of testing the battery?

This is only after sitting overnight, so it's not hitting the "deep sleep" mode mentioned in the FordPass App or manual.
Just a thought but did you plug anything to the 110 outlet to eliminate the start/stop? I know everything should shut down after 20 minutes but maybe there's something still drawing power?

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I literally hit the lock button then slide my finger down and double click the start button and have had no problems. I've had many remote starts from factory to aftermarket and this one is the most responsive by far.

Just a thought but did you plug anything to the 110 outlet to eliminate the start/stop? I know everything should shut down after 20 minutes but maybe there's something still drawing power?

Nope, only thing I have connected is a Kenwood transceiver direct to the battery. It draws nothing when off, and even if left on, it shuts off after 60 mins. I'm guessing I'm just too fast on the trigger, or my battery has a dead cell.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I've been trying to start mine with the key remotely double pressing the Start button and it wasn't starting for me. The press "lock" then Double pressing "Start worked just fine

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been trying to start mine with the key remote it wasn't starting for me. The press "lock" then "Start-twice" worked just fine
Yep, I know the process as it's has worked fine for a while. Recently, it started going to sleep or something and doesn't seem to be consistent anymore.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I know the process as it's has worked fine for a while. Recently, it started going to sleep or something and doesn't seem to be consistent anymore.
Wasn't suggesting you were doing it wrong. Was just mentioning I was having problems getting it to remote start from the fob and the Lock-Start sequence fixed it.

Fordstanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1969 ProStreet Mustang, 94 Lightning, 2019 XLT Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue using the App. I was thinking it is the WiFi connectivity or the App itself but maybe there is something else causing this. Never had this feature before so not sure if this is normal.

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can see the app behaving oddly since it's relying on the cellular network to communicate a command to the truck. I'm sure the truck is checking for commands on regular intervals instead of receiving push notifications.

This is literally 15' from the truck while watching it through the window. There's no reaction until about 5 or 6 tries in, sometimes more.

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
How is the reception of the FOB in general for locking, unlocking, or panic alarm? When walking in the parking lot to your truck can you press lock twice and get a horn chirp from a good distance away?

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I have the same issue using the App. I was thinking it is the WiFi connectivity or the App itself but maybe there is something else causing this. Never had this feature before so not sure if this is normal.
I noticed last week it won't start via the App. I took my truck in this morning for other work, and mentioned to them that the App start won't work.

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is the reception of the FOB in general for locking, unlocking, or panic alarm? When walking in the parking lot to your truck can you press lock twice and get a horn chirp from a good distance away?

Well, my truck is stuck in dark car mode (I have no idea why... buy I kind of like no beeping when I'm in a campground getting something from the truck at 3AM) so it doesn't beep, or flash any lights on double lock.

I can say that it definitely works from 1200' at least because I've seen it work from that far. It's just a lazy ass in the morning, and won't remote start until like the 14th press.

I sort of discovered today that I might be pushing the lock/remote start buttons too fast, so I'm going to try and make a mental note to slow it down a bit.
Sponsored