Redarc mount

Jda1981

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Has anyone fabricated a more rigid mount for the Redarc brake controller. I’m not a huge fan of leaving it hanging off of a existing hole by one or two plastic tabs. I’m probably way over thinking things but I’m thinking a aluminum plate just give it some rigidity. I’ll post some pictures of where I’m thinking as soon as this rain lets up.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jda1981

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So I decided to make a plate out of some 18 gauge steel and I’ll post some pictures soon as I’m done but I’m working in between rain storms.

Side note if I ever meet the engineer or Ford bean counter that decided to make those brake controller wires so short things are going to get ugly. Would it really have cost that much to put a plug from the F150 or even enough wire to make the splice without so much trouble.

OP
OP

Jda1981

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
0679A062-A999-407E-ACA2-B1C9B29973A1.jpeg
674F4B3B-D0ED-42A9-9BC0-73458B70471C.jpeg
F2C02B21-5F77-4041-9553-749992268666.jpeg

I wish I had seen your fuse panel idea earlier.

I just used a little sheet steel from TSC and made a 4x4 square and rounded of 2 corners. Then I drilled it for the controller + 2 additional mount holes that I ended up not using. I drilled the little bracket behind the fuse block to match and bolted her in. It’s super rigid.

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
So I decided to make a plate out of some 18 gauge steel and I’ll post some pictures soon as I’m done but I’m working in between rain storms.

Side note if I ever meet the engineer or Ford bean counter that decided to make those brake controller wires so short things are going to get ugly. Would it really have cost that much to put a plug from the F150 or even enough wire to make the splice without so much trouble.
no kidding! another inch or two would not kill them! BTW... I'll post my install location tomorrow in the event others would like to see the option I used.

20190919_153121[1].jpg

I found 2 perfectly spaced holes in the horizontal cross member directly under the steering wheel (slotted screws) and mounted it there. No modifications to the to the unit were necessary.

Last edited:

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
no kidding! another inch or two would not kill them! BTW... I'll post my install location tomorrow in the event others would like to see the option I used.
Have not installed mine yet but have located the wires getting ready. Just cut some of the tape Ford has on the wiring harness & wires seem to be plenty long.

DSCN7867.JPG

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There's no need to fab up any brackets for it. I just used double sided tape to mount it to the back side of the fuse panel cover.

IMG_7586.jpeg
With it mounted on the fuse panel cover does Redarc have to recalibrate itself if you open the panel cover for any reason? Instructions state that it should not move once it is mounted & learns braking.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I believe there's a nice little metal bracket for it right up behind the glovebox. The Redarc install documents showed it (at least the ones I was reading in March did).

It's a flat piece of metal with pre-existing holes for what I believe is mounting the "factory" brake controller in the Australian model.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
With it mounted on the fuse panel cover does Redarc have to recalibrate itself if you open the panel cover for any reason? Instructions state that it should not move once it is mounted & learns braking.
That's a good question. I'm not really going to worry about it too much honestly. If I have to lower the dash panel for any reason, when I put it back in place, the brake controller will be back to where it was, so if there is any difference in brake controller position, it should be very minimal.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
IDK how the RedArc works, but the Prodigy P3 learns so fast there isn't even a calibration setting. My guess is they are using the same general principals and have decently accurate and quick accelerometers in them for this purpose.

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch, 2013 Lincoln MKX, 1977 Datsun 280Z, Various Can Am 'Toys', Mahindra Tractor
Not sure if this is helpful but I mounted my controller box on the metal ledge under the steering wheel and I put the controller knob by my shifter. Note the plastic panel around the shifter needs to be taken out (put your shifter in drive before unhooking the battery). Also, you will need to trim a couple of supporting plastic ribs to create a flat surface on the back of the panel. I put the controller box on the ledge at the suggestion of the Redarc technical support guys from Australia. I had a heck of a time trying to bolt it to the flat panel by the accelerator pedal so I put it on the ledge instead. Zip ties are good enough to hold it down

71rj30LrwHL._CR204,0,1224,1224_UX175.jpg
71AMR8NAjcL._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX175.jpg

Cali64

First Name
Olaf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger

I couldnt agree more no reason why they are cut that short. Very annoying.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Note the plastic panel around the shifter needs to be taken out (put your shifter in drive before unhooking the battery).
Does it just pop off, or is there more to getting it off?