Recommended snow chains or cables?

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat (White Platinum)
Hello there.

We are up in the mountains about 10 days a month this time of year, and snow is an issue. I have a 2019 Ranger Lariat. Could you recommend a good set of chains/cables? I have read that you are only to use them on the rear tires with the Ranger, but don't really know what chains to go with. I believe that the quality of roads I travel at times means socks are not a good option.

Thanks!

d1rewolf
Sponsored

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat (White Platinum)
Get some DuraTrac tires and just put it in 4X4. If you get that stuck, you shouldn’t have been there. I went through a 2’ section in the mountains. The front skid plate works nice because it packs it right down.
Thanks! I'd prefer to not buy new tires, as I have a lot of life on my old ones. When I eventually do replace them I'll look to do so with DuraTrac. However, in the meantime, are there chains or cables you'd recommend?

BK553

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
A lot of mountain pass roads require snow chains or cables during snow conditions, it's a good idea to have them. I had some from Auto-Trac (from amazon) that were fine.

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I've used both on cars and trucks in the CA mountains and would highly recommend chains. Had them on my (2WD) pickup and never had any problems in the snow. The cables would sometimes break, and when mine did I went to the chains.

Shipley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
The owner‘s manual specifies the Ranger needs chains that are not self tightening and meet “Class S” clearance specs.

The Class S restriction really seems to limit the options. It seems there is massive clearance in the rear wheel well. Is it really that important to have Class S chains?
Sponsored