First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RANGER XLT
Occupation
IT
Has anyone’s rear window glass shattered out of no where?? I was sitting in a parking lot about to leave and I heard a bang. No one was around and I was in a location that no one could have hit the rear window with anything. Super puzzled by this whole situation.
BFFD75F1-AE00-48A9-8E76-C0D380DD5A0E.jpeg
FFC28D6A-57F0-4323-8345-CB65113095A4.jpeg
70D42ABC-010C-48CF-A266-877FBDEEFBEB.jpeg

15F40D42-22B1-4DE1-A3AC-3E2DAE78F2E6.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
BuzKilington

BuzKilington

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RANGER XLT
Occupation
IT
never happened to me
but its not unheard of

new enough for warranty I hope
I was wondering if I should call Ford first and see what they say. I may just do that. Yeah it’s only got 3,400 on it. So bummed.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
It was all the mods.

But seriously, that’s a first - I hope it gets taken care of either by Ford or by insurance. I also hope there’s replacement glass available.

?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Has anyone’s rear window glass shattered out of no where?? I was sitting in a parking lot about to leave and I heard a bang. No one was around and I was in a location that no one could have hit the rear window with anything. Super puzzled by this whole situation.

Bizarre. Never heard of it on a car, but We have a large custom window in my wifes office, and she was sitting there one day and the window just cracked. Must have been stressed some how.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I would definitely call Ford about that. Ford has very crappy glass I have found out over the years. I am having my front windshield replaced due to moisture and some weird cracking on the top middle. They are replacing it. I have 5000 miles on now. My previous Ford the Fusion had very bad glass too as it looked spider webbed sort of. All 6 windows were the same. I could not clean or rub it out. It was hard to notice but I sure did. I never complained about it however.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I would definitely call Ford about that. Ford has very crappy glass I have found out over the years. I am having my front windshield replaced due to moisture and some weird cracking on the top middle. They are replacing it. I have 5000 miles on now. My previous Ford the Fusion had very bad glass too as it looked spider webbed sort of. All 6 windows were the same. I could not clean or rub it out. It was hard to notice but I sure did. I never complained about it however.
My windshield also has the beginning of delamination on both top corners. It doesn't extend in more than an inch on either corner, but it's definitely there.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Tweaked or stressed when it was installed, or someone's kid testing his BB ot pellet gun :) I had a windshield in an Ford Opal explode like that on the Autobahn, and as they didn't use laminated safety glass back then the entire windshield shattered and fell in my lap.

OP
OP
BuzKilington

BuzKilington

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RANGER XLT
Occupation
IT
Tweaked or stressed when it was installed, or someone's kid testing his BB ot pellet gun :) I had a windshield in an Ford Opal explode like that on the Autobahn, and as they didn't use laminated safety glass back then the entire windshield shattered and fell in my lap.
I really would believe the BB thing if I wasn’t parked up against a building backed in and if I saw anything showing a BB impact. This for sure is an experience lol. Im am very grateful that it is staying in “one piece” and not all in my rear seat.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I kind of like it, it's like the privacy glass they put in bathrooms. lol

Seriously I hope they warranty it for you because this should never happen. As Jesse said there most likely was a small stress already in it and driving it and hitting bumps just made it weaker. Most likely sitting in the sun heated it up and it popped. Good luck!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Definitely give them a call. Even if it is not technically covered, they may want to take care of it for you for reputational reasons.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I've read stories about exploding sun roofs, but this is the first case of this I've seen. I guess anything's possible.
I had a sunroof shatter but it was hit by a rock. Driving down the highway with the sunroof popped up and BANG. Luckily I had the inside door closed and it caught all the glass. Scared the $#%^ out of me and didn't know what it was at first. Then I heard the wind, slid open the inside door a little and saw sky. Nowhere to pull over at that point and nothing I could do about it so I continued on to work. Got out of the car and saw a dent just above the windshield and another chip just in front of the sunroof. Insurance covered it.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I will be taking the truck in on Monday to have them look at it. I pray they cover it and have the glass. Just will have to re tint it now and get a new ranger5g sticker ?
Luckily you had it tinted already or you would be cleaning up glass for awhile . Window film really helps stop all that flying glass in an accident . Over the period of 20 years that I had the shop I witnessed 2 auto glasses shatter for apparently no reason . One was when a customer and I were discussing window tinting his car and it shattered when we walked about 20' away . Scared the heck outta us , lol . I said I'm glad that happened before we worked on it . The next was several years later when another customer was paying for their tint and we heard a loud pop outside . His '94 Firebird rear window just exploded but the tint held it in place . I had to pay for that one of course because we had just tinted it . We had just opened the rear hatch and slammed it shut before we walked inside so there must have been a stress crack at the edge or something that we aggravated .

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That’s a bummer for sure. I can think of 1 of 2 things. As mentioned a BB gun. Even a ricochet is enough to do it. The projectile might be in the bed still. The other could be the headrest itself. When I turned mine into folding by doing the mod I noticed when I had the cover off a metal plate in a U shape attached to the back of the headrest. The intention of it appeared to be for when in an accident it would break the back window instead of your skull doing it. Wonder if that was touching window would cause what happened.
Sponsored