First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
So all i have seen are threads for people looking for stubby antennae’s. I am curious about going the other way. Radio reception by me sucks because of mountains (so does satellite depending where you are and management already has shut down paying for radio) truck will never be in garage and would like better FM reception. Has anyone done this or seen it done and would it make a difference?
Sponsored

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
I wouldn’t know about the ranger but on my KW I used a CB whip with a coax/adapter for my am/fm and it seems to get decent reception but I am usually on xm

OP
OP
rltriumph

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
I wouldn’t know about the ranger but on my KW I used a CB whip with a coax/adapter for my am/fm and it seems to get decent reception but I am usually on xm
Was thinking a cb mount also. Reception here is spotty due to the mountains. Wife told me on way home from picking up truck it was either xm or spotify. I listen to spotify at work all the time its a no brainer.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
So all i have seen are threads for people looking for stubby antennae’s. I am curious about going the other way. Radio reception by me sucks because of mountains (so does satellite depending where you are and management already has shut down paying for radio) truck will never be in garage and would like better FM reception. Has anyone done this or seen it done and would it make a difference?
I thought the FM in my Colorado was bad until we got the Ranger. Holy crap does that suck. Reception on my 08 Edge was fantastic. They truly don't make them like that anymore. If you figure something out, let me know! There was one guy on the Colorado forum that used the antennae from an old Chevelle. Adapted it to the Colorado radio and he said it worked well. So, there is probably some hope.

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
No ridicule here. I used to live in the foothills, ~2500' elevation. Not flat and not high enough to overcome the terrain changes. I was only 50 miles from Sacramento yet could not pick up most FM and AM signals. Sirius was spotty too. A longer antenna definitely would have helped.
Alternatively have you looked into finding an antenna with higher gain instead of size?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for improved performance as well found some longer F150 antennas. I see you need to watch for a female vs male interface.
On my old CJ5 I installed a 6 ft fiberglass whip CB/FM antenna. Worked great. When parking in the garage I would bend it over and hook to the other side with a bubble.
Looked good on a jeep, not sure this would look good on a Ranger. Not to mention drilling holes in the body!

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
No - It might help, but if the antenna is pulling in a crap signal your boosting signal and noise.
I don't park in the garage EVER, so going to look for something
Yes it may end up looking ridiculously long, but will see if it improves stations
we'll see ?‍♂

Last edited:

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
No - It might help, but if the antenna is pulling in a crap signal your boosting signal and noise.
I don't park in the garage EVER, so going to try THIS.
Yes it may end up looking ridiculously long, but will see if it improves stations
we'll see ?‍♂
I was always told these work well...

ce20c6ef008e13f712bc90a719389b8de5679190_1.jpg

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, I think its the wrong thread

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I don't park in the garage EVER, so going to try THIS.
we'll see ?‍♂
Just be mindful of these if you park in a garage. Don’t ask me how I know ?‍?

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Nothing on Am/Fm I want to hear. Haven’t even tried to tune it in since I bought the truck. I use XM, Pandora and/or Audible.

DoctorsTARDIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
No ridicule here, I mean, a longer antenna may LOOK worse, but if you're actually need the thing for its function who is anyone to judge. If you find one that is excessively long, just bend the end of it into a hook and tell everyone you're a really big fan of that scene in Back To The Future where Marty... goes... back to the future.