John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Re: Raptor Grill from Stage 3: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/VT-19RRG-2019-Ranger-Vics-Trading-Raptor-Style-Grille.html

OK, so this is a mini rant regarding the whole start to finish getting this install done.
<rant-on>

First, weeks ago I looked at the factory grill to see what was involved taking it off to install one of these grills. I watched 2 videos I found. One of which was of a guy just pointing out what to do with music in the background. The other by Stage 3...
All in all, Stage 3 was probably the best to get the idea.
The one in the musical, did not point or show any info regarding the 2 behind the headlight. Stage 3 did mention it.

So, I said, ok... from what I learned, shouldn't be bad. one of the members here made me aware on the sides location. Even knowing, they are a bummer to get too. The guy on Stage 3 made everything look simple. Tell my hands that. (My hands look like I fought a pit bull)..

Upon getting ready to remove grill, the tab behind the passenger side headlight was gone. Mind you this is the first I tried to remove the grill. Most of the ones on the bottom were cracked. The driver side was the only one undamaged The grill looks like maybe the manufacturer forced it in. These tabs are pathetically wimpy and obviously not meant to get screwed with too often. This leaves me with a factory grill with no tabs on the bottom to hold it in place. so many were damaged, So I have to hope this raptor grill holds out.

So last night, the grill finally came in. I also ordered some Raptor lights from the guy on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Ford-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

So, here is my beef. They claim the grill is abs plastic... Got to wonder about that. Anyway, they give no instructions which if you are mechanically inclined or just intuitive, you can figure out what to do. My biggest beef are the crap screws and post stands they mount on. They give you these tiny Philip flat head tapered screws with matching washers. The posts and mounts are plastic. Where the screw goes into the post mount is recessed and plastic. If you put the washer on screw first, it will not recess. If you put it on the bottom, which is a pain, it may not sit right. Just the washers, they also do not let the screw go in far enough to grab enough. One way or another, if you tighten down ever so easily, the taper on the screw head will spread the plastic hole and it will ruin the mount.
They give you 2 mounts that are the ones that bolt to the top of the frame. The posts are long and do not look like they will last under vibration. In fact, the one side, the top of the posts sheared off and the mount just came apart. So I had to find my own screws that were just a tad longer to screw it back on. I got a feeling I should be picking up some JB Weld for Plastic today.

Now today, I start over. Screws I thought holding the letters on were tight enough, are not. You got to hope, every time you take the top shroud off, it doesn't stress the grill tabs and posts. I have to remove the shroud again, check all the mount points and then install the lights, which incidentally, get mounted to one of those screws holding on the top grill tabs.

If you have done this enough like the guy on Stage 3, yes it may become easier. But who the hell wants to mess with it more than once. Ugh. BTW, the pic below the screw here shows where the light bracket gets mounted. You guessed it. Has to mount with those crappy screws and plastic mount. I told the guy who made the lights that these plastic grills, that the mounts are pathetic. Hope it holds on without causing more vibration eventually destroying those plastic posts.
What say you? I'll be calling Stage 3 today to report my issue. If need be, maybe they'll replace the grill. Seems everything that breaks on these grills happen to be permanently attached to the structure. The light is well made. Don't suspect problems with it.
</rant-off> ...for now.
Screw-Flat-Head-6-x-1-2-Key-II_1.jpg

tab1andlightbracket.jpg
Sponsored

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I personally liked the musical. :bandit:

Edit: my bad for not showing the two tabs near the headlights. Mea Culpa!

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I agree about the two hidden hard to reach side tabs on factory grill...PIA to get off. Don't remember having issues with the screws though I got mine from Con Joe and not sure if all knock offs are the same. I had no issue other than "F" was on held on with one screw so I glued the other edge. Apart from that, I worry about the vertical bars that brace the letters...looks very week and if someone were to lean up against my grill, they very likely break. Would be nice if someone could make a mold of this knock off and cast it entirely out of aluminum:shock::like: Ya it'll cost a grand:)

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Sounds like a trip to the hardware store, to get yourself more fitting fasteners. The OE Ranger Raptor grill seems to sell for $500-$600. Would expect to have a little run around for something that trying to take it place for less than half the price. Hope you're able to get it sorted out.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Re: Raptor Grill from Stage 3: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/VT-19RRG-2019-Ranger-Vics-Trading-Raptor-Style-Grille.html

OK, so this is a mini rant regarding the whole start to finish getting this install done.
<rant-on>

First, weeks ago I looked at the factory grill to see what was involved taking it off to install one of these grills. I watched 2 videos I found. One of which was of a guy just pointing out what to do with music in the background. The other by Stage 3...
All in all, Stage 3 was probably the best to get the idea.
The one in the musical, did not point or show any info regarding the 2 behind the headlight. Stage 3 did mention it.

So, I said, ok... from what I learned, shouldn't be bad. one of the members here made me aware on the sides location. Even knowing, they are a bummer to get too. The guy on Stage 3 made everything look simple. Tell my hands that. (My hands look like I fought a pit bull)..

Upon getting ready to remove grill, the tab behind the passenger side headlight was gone. Mind you this is the first I tried to remove the grill. Most of the ones on the bottom were cracked. The driver side was the only one undamaged The grill looks like maybe the manufacturer forced it in. These tabs are pathetically wimpy and obviously not meant to get screwed with too often. This leaves me with a factory grill with no tabs on the bottom to hold it in place. so many were damaged, So I have to hope this raptor grill holds out.

So last night, the grill finally came in. I also ordered some Raptor lights from the guy on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Ford-Ranger-Raptor-Grille-Grille-Light/174047247484?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

So, here is my beef. They claim the grill is abs plastic... Got to wonder about that. Anyway, they give no instructions which if you are mechanically inclined or just intuitive, you can figure out what to do. My biggest beef are the crap screws and post stands they mount on. They give you these tiny Philip flat head tapered screws with matching washers. The posts and mounts are plastic. Where the screw goes into the post mount is recessed and plastic. If you put the washer on screw first, it will not recess. If you put it on the bottom, which is a pain, it may not sit right. Just the washers, they also do not let the screw go in far enough to grab enough. One way or another, if you tighten down ever so easily, the taper on the screw head will spread the plastic hole and it will ruin the mount.
They give you 2 mounts that are the ones that bolt to the top of the frame. The posts are long and do not look like they will last under vibration. In fact, the one side, the top of the posts sheared off and the mount just came apart. So I had to find my own screws that were just a tad longer to screw it back on. I got a feeling I should be picking up some JB Weld for Plastic today.

Now today, I start over. Screws I thought holding the letters on were tight enough, are not. You got to hope, every time you take the top shroud off, it doesn't stress the grill tabs and posts. I have to remove the shroud again, check all the mount points and then install the lights, which incidentally, get mounted to one of those screws holding on the top grill tabs.

If you have done this enough like the guy on Stage 3, yes it may become easier. But who the hell wants to mess with it more than once. Ugh. BTW, the pic below the screw here shows where the light bracket gets mounted. You guessed it. Has to mount with those crappy screws and plastic mount. I told the guy who made the lights that these plastic grills, that the mounts are pathetic. Hope it holds on without causing more vibration eventually destroying those plastic posts.
What say you? I'll be calling Stage 3 today to report my issue. If need be, maybe they'll replace the grill. Seems everything that breaks on these grills happen to be permanently attached to the structure. The light is well made. Don't suspect problems with it.
</rant-off> ...for now.
At the end of the day, it fits, looks good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Have a beer or two or three and mend your wounds. We've all been through it and enjoy the look of our Rangers with a Raptor like grille!

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I do like the look of the raptor grill but something about the stock grill keeps me wanting to stick with it. I think itā€™s actually a pretty sick grill. Someday Iā€™ll probably get tired of it and want to switch.

E28BBB25-5FF9-4AD5-8513-6F858AB341AA.jpeg

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I do like the look of the raptor grill but something about the stock grill keeps me wanting to stick with it. I think itā€™s actually a pretty sick grill. Someday Iā€™ll probably get tired of it and want to switch.

digging the two tone hood!! did the same to my F250... Vinyl?

OP
OP
BHunted

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
At the end of the day, it fits, looks good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Have a beer or two or three and mend your wounds. We've all been through it and enjoy the look of our Rangers with a Raptor like grille!
Iā€™m more pist that the original grill has broken clips. Anyone know if there is a way to replace them? Otherwise, got a factory grill that canā€™t be used or sold.

RARE5.0

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew Fx4 1988 Mustang Notch 5.0

What are the specs on your truck? Lift tiresm

HotPepperRedRanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2015 Ford Edge 2012 Toyota Camry

I like the stock look also. Hope I can salvage the stock grill as I swap it out with a Raptor grill in the morning. Sounds like removal is a PIA, will find out and decide if I want to change it out again later on.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
What are the specs on your truck? Lift tiresm
Fuel Shoks 17" wheels
BFG KO2 285-70/17
Icon Billet suspension with front coilovers set to 2.5" lift.

Last edited:

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m more pist that the original grill has broken clips. Anyone know if there is a way to replace them? Otherwise, got a factory grill that canā€™t be used or sold.
Depends. show some pictures of the damage area. Personally, i'd like a Lariat grill as long as it's a sport. Some more than others can Jerry rig the heck out of something to make it work.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Depends. show some pictures of the damage area. Personally, i'd like a Lariat grill as long as it's a sport. Some more than others can Jerry rig the heck out of something to make it work.
I agree, my Lariat FX4 has the sport grill and I like it. I plan to wait until Ford releases a NA Raptor and I can order an OEM quality grill. It may be a while but if it fits, it will probably be worth double the cost. Not in a rush.
Sponsored