• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Raptor; bad vvt cam phaser at 1200 miles

Tr1tium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4runner trd pro
Yesterday I noticed my raptor made a nasty clatter sound on cold start. This sound stops after about 5 seconds. I drove close to 10 miles and in that drive i heard nothing similar to the clatter sound. I was at the gym for about an hour and a half and started up and sure enough it made the clatter sound again, but when I turn it off and start it back up it doesn’t make the sound. So apparently it only happens when cold starting. It has 1200 miles on it and I have absolutely babied it for those miles. And now it has a bad VVT actuator. Sweet.. this is my first Ford.
Sponsored

AlpineBike

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
That’s what happens when lazy UAW workers “strike” and Ford gives in and gives them more $.

Quality only gets worse and worse!

I hope you’re able to get your new truck repaired as quickly and painlessly as possible. Please let us know how it pans out.

OP
OP
Tr1tium

Tr1tium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4runner trd pro
That’s what happens when lazy UAW workers “strike” and Ford gives in and gives them more $.

I hope you’re able to get your new truck repaired as quickly and painlessly as possible. Please let us know how it pans out.
Yeah, I’m probably out after this. This is my first Ford and so far hasn’t been a good experience. I will likely sell it as soon as it’s fixed. I’ve bought so many new cars through the years and I’ve never once had a engine issue at such low mileage.

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Powerboost King Ranch, 2024 HPR Ranger Raptor
This problem has been going on with ford since the 2000's maybe earlier. After all these years someone there should have been able to design it correctly.

yoopercharged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford SVT Raptor

It's a known design flaw that has occurred in the Explorer ST, Bronco Raptor, and multiple Lincoln products with the 3.0L. Last time I checked, mechanical engineers weren't members of the UAW.

Sponsored

AlpineBike

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
It's a known design flaw that has occurred in the Explorer ST, Bronco Raptor, and multiple Lincoln products with the 3.0L. Last time I checked, mechanical engineers weren't members of the UAW.

Do we know that this is in fact a design flaw and not an assembly error?
Is it anything at all like the phaser failures in the 3.5EB? 2.7EB?
Not being sarcastic, genuinely curious.

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I know its frustrating and all but selling it might be extreme. My wife's 2018 3.5L expedition developed the cam phaser early on. Ford did the repair, took about a week at the time, a number of the days was waiting on parts. They gave us a brand new F150 as a loaner. 50,000 + miles later still running like a top. zero issues since.

yoopercharged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford SVT Raptor
Do we know that this is in fact a design flaw and not an assembly error?
Is it anything at all like the phaser failures in the 3.5EB? 2.7EB?
Not being sarcastic, genuinely curious.
I don't believe Ford has acknowledge that there is a design flaw in the same way they did with the 3.5L. So I guess I am just assuming, but as we know, Ford has struggled with cam phaser design for decades.

You've actually got me curious now. I'm going to do some digging.

OP
OP
Tr1tium

Tr1tium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4runner trd pro
And this is what drives me crazy Ford has been in business for over 100 years and they’ve been building turbo engines since 2011. You would think they would figure something like this out.

AlpineBike

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
I know its frustrating and all but selling it might be extreme. My wife's 2018 3.5L expedition developed the cam phaser early on. Ford did the repair, took about a week at the time, a number of the days was waiting on parts. They gave us a brand new F150 as a loaner. 50,000 + miles later still running like a top. zero issues since.

Which further leads me to believe that it’s an assembly error from lazy union workers vs bad engineering/design…

Kinda like my brand new Transit work van coming from the factory with the rear diff under-filled by more than 1 quart!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tr1tium

Tr1tium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4runner trd pro
I understand that, but I think that would just make me neurotic, knowing that they have to crack open the head and get right into the meat of the engine. Gives me zero confidence in the longevity of this vehicle

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, our 2004 5.4L F150 ticked all the way up till 230000 miles and never crapped out.
Yep my son in laws 5.4L F150 was same way. The ticking never bothered him, never had it fixed, I forget the exact mileage, but it was in the 100's of thousands miles, always ran like a top. Eventually sold it to a guy buying it for his son's first vehicle. It's not an end of the world, engines gonna fail or blow up from what I've seen and experienced.

Zackattack2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gmc canyon
Occupation
Tech
I’m honestly just on this fourm for posts like this. The 3rd gen Colorado rollout was a mess in terms of reliability, it’s been crickets here…it’ll be curious to see how this plays out.

I’m in the market for a ranger in like 3-4 years, hopefully after a refresh so we shall see
Sponsored