Ranger vs Gladiator

samd1351

First Name
Sam DePriest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150 (company truck), 2016 Cherokee, 2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Looking at the either the Ranger or Gladiator to replace a company F-150.

What do I need to know about the Ranger before I make the decision. I love the new Ranger look, but the Jeep looks loke a blast.

The Ranger would be my dd, most days. Nice days, I'm jumping into the 'stang.

1) Any major issues with the Ranger that would piss me off after dropping 39K on a truck?

2) What's the "proper" level kit? 1", 2", 2.5"? And would 33s work with a level kit?

3) Plan would be for mostly dd duty, with some off-road action. Nothing extreme, just fun stuff. Would an FX4 need any additional mods, other than maybe tires?

4) Does anyone have a frame of reference between the Ranger and Gladiator?

Thanks
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the either the Ranger or Gladiator to replace a company F-150.

What do I need to know about the Ranger before I make the decision. I love the new Ranger look, but the Jeep looks loke a blast.

The Ranger would be my dd, most days. Nice days, I'm jumping into the 'stang.

1) Any major issues with the Ranger that would piss me off after dropping 39K on a truck?

2) What's the "proper" level kit? 1", 2", 2.5"? And would 33s work with a level kit?

3) Plan would be for mostly dd duty, with some off-road action. Nothing extreme, just fun stuff. Would an FX4 need any additional mods, other than maybe tires?

4) Does anyone have a frame of reference between the Ranger and Gladiator?

Thanks
You'll find a lot of comment Here and Here that'll cover some of the quetions

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My only comment would be that for a DD, I think the Ranger is a lot better fit. I think using the Gladiator as a DD would be somewhat tough.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
After watching an F350 have 2 episodes of death wobble within 10 mins on the freeway this weekend, I wouldn't DD a vehicle with a solid front axle if I could avoid it. Had seen that come up when researching Gladiators. Scary as hell to see in person.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
After watching an F350 have 2 episodes of death wobble within 10 mins on the freeway this weekend, I wouldn't DD a vehicle with a solid front axle if I could avoid it. Had seen that come up when researching Gladiators. Scary as hell to see in person.
Any vehicle not maintained will have issues. I drove my JKU wrangler for 87,000 miles for eight years as a DD. Never had an issue with death wobble or wandering. To write off all solid front axle vehicles because of what you read on the internet or seeing one porly maintained truck is extreme.

OP, if your going to primarily stay on the asphalt the ranger will suit you. If off-roading is your thing like Moab trips and challenging trails then get the rubicon gladiator. If your talking non rubicon gladiator then a FX4 will out perform a gladiator in all on and off road comparisons.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Well everyone on here apparently chose the Ranger! :D

But only you can really decide.

Drive them both and keep your expectations realistic on how much you'll actually be off road.

And of course there's the TFL video where the Rubicon Gladiator got stuck in a certain spot and then a Ranger motored right through it using Trail Control. :sunglasses:

And there's also the C&D comparison test where a Ranger with 1000lbs of cement in the bed outran an empty Gladiator ?

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
I always hate how the gladiator was 10 inches longer with nothing to show for the added length

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Is the company paying for your vehicle? Get what makes you most happy. And what works best for you.

here are 2 low mileage rubicon’s I saw while getting oil changed. Lowest price $55991 2020 with 3768 miles. That’s a significant chunk of change. I like the rubicon gladiator, but it was out of my price range. it looks like at 39k you are looking at XLT FX4?

F5A77907-FDB2-45A9-B60F-67ED8187AF16.jpeg

61BCB2BB-E75F-4318-950B-12ECF0904309.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

samd1351

First Name
Sam DePriest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New company is not paying for my new ride. 56k is out of my league.

Going to drive a Ranger today. 46K is awful steep for a Ranger. It is a Lariat, but that just might be too much.

And SWMBO loved the jeep. So.... We'll see.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
If possible, try this package. XL FX4 with STX trim. I think it is the best bang for your buck, and would handle the trails just fine. I went for the Lariat, but my old butt needed the leather, and heated seats. my 2 cents.

D05EB9FB-E21A-4701-81AE-3024938DDE6D.png

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

samd1351

First Name
Sam DePriest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If possible, try this package. XL FX4 with STX trim. I think it is the best bang for your buck, and would handle the trails just fine. I went for the Lariat, but my old butt needed the leather, and heated seats. my 2 cents.

D05EB9FB-E21A-4701-81AE-3024938DDE6D.png
That might work, except it's white. And I just can't drive another white truck. Been driving white F-150s for 20 years and it's time to get away from the white.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
10-4 on the STX. I also got the STX Special Edition Package, which included 18" wheels unique to the package, dual climate control, and the 8" Sync 3 screen. I had the dealer add heated seats, which work very well.
Basically turned out to be an XLT, but without a mirror in the passenger sun visor, and thousands le$$.

Attachments

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Gladiator:
(in ancient Rome) a man trained to fight with weapons against other men or wild animals in an arena.

Ranger:
a keeper of a park, forest, or area of countryside.

From a naming perspective one has a clear advantage, and when Caesar crossed the Rubicon it signified the change from Republic to Empire. Whereas a Lariat is nothing more than a loop of rope, but I still like mine, albeit a "limp" name.

When it comes to names Ford could take some lessons from Chrysler.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Gladiator:
(in ancient Rome) a man trained to fight with weapons against other men or wild animals in an arena.

Ranger:
a keeper of a park, forest, or area of countryside.

From a naming perspective one has a clear advantage, and when Caesar crossed the Rubicon it signified the change from Republic to Empire. Whereas a Lariat is nothing more than a loop of rope, but I still like mine, albeit a "limp" name.

When it comes to names Ford could take some lessons from Chrysler.
Actually, Gladiator goes back to Willys
1962 Willys Jeep Gladiator (later J20).
Unknown-1.jpeg
Sponsored