Ranger Turbo Mods

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I apologize ahead of time if there are already questions like this on here but I didn't see any. I'm a powersports mechanic but I have had fairly limited experience with turbos just a few turbo snowmobiles. Is it possible to adjust the waste-gate on the Ranger's turbo to create more boost? Are there any performance parts out or will the parts for the 2.3 Mustang work? I have the Turbosmart BOV but alone its not going to really do anything except make a little noise.
Also has anyone tried the down-pipes or exhausts that are out yet? Down-pipes often have a great hp increase depending on the ability to improve on the stock one. I remember the 7.3 powerstroke aftermarket down-pipes make a pretty good difference.
I think 350hp and 400+ torque would be fairly easy to obtain with this engine and be a whole lot of fun. Maybe its just me but it seems like the ranger falls on its face in the higher rpm range maybe its the twin scroll turbo IDK.
Sponsored

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@RCMUSTANG Probably has the most performance mods on the site currently, I’m sure he could tell you about benefits of some of the current after market items. Right now AFE seems to be leading the charge with down pipes, exhausts and charge pipes. A bigger intercooler will help also, Ford performance has some 2.3 Mustang cams but not sure if they will work

OP
OP
Indy650

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
@RCMUSTANG Probably has the most performance mods on the site currently, I’m sure he could tell you about benefits of some of the current after market items. Right now AFE seems to be leading the charge with down pipes, exhausts and charge pipes. A bigger intercooler will help also, Ford performance has some 2.3 Mustang cams but not sure if they will work
Ya a bigger inter-cooler would be great the stock one is tiny and there seems to be quite a bit of room for a bigger one. Aluminum charge pipes would be much better than the stock rubber also.

Reactions: Doc

RickyST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Seeing as how livernois and 5 star tuning have both made over 300whp on a stock truck on 93 octane I think the only thing needed to hit or get close to the 350 mark would be a catless turboback and an e30 tune.

You might be able to tighten up the wastegate actuator but I wouldn’t. You would really need a tune for that and I’m sure it has tamper paint on it so if something went wrong and you took it to the dealership they would know.

OP
OP
Indy650

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Seeing as how livernois and 5 star tuning have both made over 300whp on a stock truck on 93 octane I think the only thing needed to hit or get close to the 350 mark would be a catless turboback and an e30 tune.

You might be able to tighten up the wastegate actuator but I wouldn’t. You would really need a tune for that and I’m sure it has tamper paint on it so if something went wrong and you took it to the dealership they would know.
I am tempted to get a down pipe but the catless one is useless if you want to drive on road and the one with a cat states that it could throw a CEL. Not worth the risk for 600 bucks. Seems they could make a kit that welds onto the stock cat that flows better than stock. Then again I haven't looked at the stock setup. I know the high flow cats are part of the power gain on the aftermarket pipes but many down pipes can be quite restrictive not even counting the stock cat. Some are flat or oval in spots ext...

OP
OP
Indy650

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
https://www.spdperformance.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=47_299&product_id=1716&fbclid=IwAR1Fw8OPKBh6c1Zt3OqRyaaAMm_UykffmgngMSAjlvRJ9gQKBnr1KzRPaQM

Got this off another member @Andy . Installing today if weather holds up along with my leveling kit. Andy did say you could finally hear the turbo spool with this on
cool I'm excited to see the outcome hopefully it doesn't trigger a check engine light. Not being able to hear the turbo does kinda suck but it is only about the size of my palm so it's no surprise.... I installed the turbosmart blow off valve and I can sometimes hear that which sounds kinda cool and it literally took 5 minutes if that to put it on.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Ya a bigger inter-cooler would be great the stock one is tiny and there seems to be quite a bit of room for a bigger one. Aluminum charge pipes would be much better than the stock rubber also.
Aluminum sucks for charge pipes (for moderate <30psi boost) as aluminum conducts heat. The air will pick up extra heat as it travels into the engine bay after it goes through the FMIC.

AFE has a set of silicone charge pipes that are wider, and eliminate some of the sharp bends.

OP
OP
Indy650

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
hmm i was thinking aluminum would help pull heat out of the air because its a good heat conductor. I guess I didn't add for the engine bay heating the pipes. Im a powersports mechanic so my experience is with motorcycles which the pipes get cooled by passing air and snowmobiles where cold air comes through the cowling to help cool.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

Torque is the same on all three tunes.
Regards

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
hmm i was thinking aluminum would help pull heat out of the air because its a good heat conductor. I guess I didn't add for the engine bay heating the pipes. Im a powersports mechanic so my experience is with motorcycles which the pipes get cooled by passing air and snowmobiles where cold air comes through the cowling to help cool.

Under hood temps are always higher than ambient, and once the aluminum heat soaks, it's going to pass into the charge air no matter what you do.

Aluminum pipes look better though :)
Sponsored