First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I think the OP was asking about the bison package which adds a couple inches to the ground clearance, along with a few other enhancements:

The truck's stance is still 3.5 inches wider than a standard Colorado's, and it still stands two inches taller. Its Multimatic Dynamic Suspensions Spool Valve dampers remain untouched. Instead, AEV focused on protecting the truck's body and powertrain.

Beefy stamped-steel front and rear bumpers and five hot-stamped boron-steel skid plates are at the heart of the Bison package. Shielding the pickup's oil pan, fuel tank, transfer case, and its locking front and rear differentials, the new skid plates are stronger and more extensive than the ZR2's aluminum units. The front bumper is designed to accommodate a winch (not included), and the outer portions can be replaced if needed.

And then there is this - a nice looking engine cover - r u listening Ford ? Fuel economy suffers in the ZR2, epa rating of 18 mpg highway , I think 17 mpg overall.

1616868676129.png
Its just a ZR2 with bumpers and skid plates essentially. Your article is comparing a Bison with a standard Colorado. Width and ground clearance are the same on the ZR2 and Bison or even slightly less on the Bison due to extra weight
Sponsored

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Its just a ZR2 with bumpers and skid plates essentially. Width and ground clearance are the same or even slightly less on the Bison due to extra weight
ok - let me ask you this - you mention the tremor has 6.5" ground clearance up front - but the Ranger FX4 AWD is listed as 8.9" ground clearance - isn't the listed ground clearance supposed to be measured at the lowest point ? 6.5" doesn't seem like much clearance. thanks

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I've watched some ZR2 videos on youtube (since i've run through all the new ranger stuff i can find), and one thing thats concerning about the zr2 and bison is the longevity of those multimatic shocks. Seems to be a common issue for them to fail/leak after 15-20k, and for a vehicle like that where most of the added cost goes towards specialty equipment like that, its just unacceptable. Even if the first replacement is under warranty, doesn't bode well for the long run of the truck. But your mileage may vary

CoreyHendo

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic Grey Ranger Lariat 501A, FX4, Sport, Tow
....To not even be able to get things like intelligent access, push button start, LED headlights and such on a $45k-$50k truck in 2021 is ridiculous....
This was my EXACT reaction to driving a ZR2 and why I ultimately didn't buy one and went with the Ranger.

I didn't find the interior on the ZR2 to be way worse than the Ranger. The Ranger has hard plastics (so does the ZR2), old Sync 3, and carryover items from Fords that are a decade or more old. The ZR2 has plastic trim that comes up the sides of the seat bottom. If you're a bigger person, you could flatten the seats and that plastic will be uncomfortable. I'm likely above average (230lbs), but not big enough width wise for it to bother me.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
This was my EXACT reaction to driving a ZR2 and why I ultimately didn't buy one and went with the Ranger.

I didn't find the interior on the ZR2 to be way worse than the Ranger. The Ranger has hard plastics (so does the ZR2), old Sync 3, and carryover items from Fords that are a decade or more old. The ZR2 has plastic trim that comes up the sides of the seat bottom. If you're a bigger person, you could flatten the seats and that plastic will be uncomfortable. I'm likely above average (230lbs), but not big enough width wise for it to bother me.
I tried to give Chevy a chance but between the the powertrains and the lack of amenities I stayed with Ford.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I looked very closely at the ZR2 before getting my Ranger.

Even comparing the FX4 to the Bison, you can get an equal or superior package in the Ranger for less $$$.

The Bison package is a $5750 option so start with that amount.

The big differentiator for the ZR2/Bison is the front locker, which is available from ARB for the Ranger at around $1k, plus $250 for the compressor and ~$400 for install so ~$1650 (plus you now have the compressor for other chores like airing back up).

Now go to the suspension where you can get a complete aftermarket suspension setup starting at $1k for the Eibach kit and going up to whatever you want to spend. Note that the Eibachs have a lifetime warranty too so no concerns about long term failures..

Then add <$1k for a full set of skidplates from the vendor of your choice (ARB, Shrockworks, 589, etc.)

So get your best deal on a Ranger and then add ~$4k for front locker, skidplates, and suspension. Now you still have $1700 for tires and wheels if you desire (the Bison comes stock with 265/65/17, same size as the Ranger though admittedly a better tire than the Hancraps).

Given those additions I'd put it against a Bison any day.

While there is certainly something to be said about just buying everything with the factory warranty, the only thing in the list of aftermarket additions that may even be a slight concern is the ARB locker. Everything else either has its own warranty or a warranty is not really needed (skidplate warranty?)

Oh wait, you need to add $40 for the tailgate damper to put it over the top :LOL: (the Canyorado twins have a factory damped tailgate)

Just some caffeine infused musings about why I would still take the Ranger over the Canyorado twins.

OP
OP
Gman89

Gman89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lexus CT200h
Occupation
NDT Tech
:inspect:Thanks for all the replies. Now I’m just stuck deciding between the velocity blue or cactus grey! Lariat or XLT!:inspect:

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
:inspect:Thanks for all the replies. Now I’m just stuck deciding between the velocity blue or cactus grey! Lariat or XLT!:inspect:
I've been on the fence with these two trucks for a while now.

I like the Silver and Blue on the Ranger. Tremor package looks great.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
And then there is this - a nice looking engine cover - r u listening Ford ?
Why is everyone complaining about an engine cover? If slow wheeling off road in warm weather without a lot of air movement, all it does it help to retain heat.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Why is everyone complaining about an engine cover? If slow wheeling off road in warm weather without a lot of air movement, all it does it help to retain heat.
so does the hood, maybe Ford can decontent that next in the interest of enhanced engine cooling for the those who off road slowly, but in lieu of that I'll be more mindful of my speed when off roading in warm weather.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
so does the hood, maybe Ford can decontent that next in the interest of enhanced engine cooling for the those who off road slowly, but in lieu of that I'll be more mindful of my speed when off roading in warm weather.
See, Ford is behind the curve on this technology.

Chrysler has been building vehicles and Jeeps for years that automatically de-content as you drive.

Jeeps will shed unnecessary parts on a whim, all for your benefit because less weight = more MPG.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Velocity blue!! I thought I would love the cactus grey, but I just think it looks super weird with the magnetic trim on it. Velocity Blue is what i originally wanted