Ranger Ride over rough roads?

John62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
New to the forum and was curious if anyone went from a Colorado to the new Ranger? Looking for comparison as I have a 2018 4x4 V6 Lt, so wanting to compare the ride to a similar 4x4 ranger, guessing XLT?

My background, I have always had a Ranger,my first a 1988, then just recently got rid of a 2000 4x4 XLT with 250,000 miles, and bought my first Colorado 4x4 v6. At the time I got the Colorado, the Rangers were not out yet, and wasn't crazy about a 4cyl turbo, so opted for the v6 in the Chevy.

I have no complaints with the Chevy engine, runs very good, but the suspension drives me nuts over bumpy tar patched, cracked, and missing top layers of paved roads. Unfortunately my daily 50 mile trip takes me over this 2 mile mine field road in my township, where I probably drive this section, 3 times daily, and it just drives me nuts, as I don't remember my ranger with 250,000 mile to be as bad on these roads.

I have no complaints with the Chevy on smooth roads and highways, but roads like I described just drive me nuts with its ride.So hopefully looking for someone who had a 4x4 v6 Colorado, and now a comparable Ranger to compare the ride. Not interested in how the ranger rides on smooth roads and highway as I'm sure it's as good as the Colorado, just neglected roads like I described? At some point I'm wanting to test drive one on these roads to compare myself, but was curious of others opinions that might know? Thanks
Sponsored

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would not depend on another's subjective view of ride quality, especially trading in a late model vehicle.

You should take a 4WD Ranger on an extended test drive with and without the FX Package. Then you will know if it's right for you or not.

OP
OP

John62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
I would not depend on another's subjective view of ride quality, especially trading in a late model vehicle.

You should take a 4WD Ranger on an extended test drive with and without the FX Package. Then you will know if it's right for you or not.
True, but that's why I said hopefully someone who went from a Colorado to a Ranger, where they would know if there was a noticeable difference or not?

I do plan on test driving one when I get some time, but will not be soon. And hopefully they let me drive it a ways to these same roads to make an honest comparison?

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
New to the forum and was curious if anyone went from a Colorado to the new Ranger? Looking for comparison as I have a 2018 4x4 V6 Lt, so wanting to compare the ride to a similar 4x4 ranger, guessing XLT?

My background, I have always had a Ranger,my first a 1988, then just recently got rid of a 2000 4x4 XLT with 250,000 miles, and bought my first Colorado 4x4 v6. At the time I got the Colorado, the Rangers were not out yet, and wasn't crazy about a 4cyl turbo, so opted for the v6 in the Chevy.

I have no complaints with the Chevy engine, runs very good, but the suspension drives me nuts over bumpy tar patched, cracked, and missing top layers of paved roads. Unfortunately my daily 50 mile trip takes me over this 2 mile mine field road in my township, where I probably drive this section, 3 times daily, and it just drives me nuts, as I don't remember my ranger with 250,000 mile to be as bad on these roads.

I have no complaints with the Chevy on smooth roads and highways, but roads like I described just drive me nuts with its ride.So hopefully looking for someone who had a 4x4 v6 Colorado, and now a comparable Ranger to compare the ride. Not interested in how the ranger rides on smooth roads and highway as I'm sure it's as good as the Colorado, just neglected roads like I described? At some point I'm wanting to test drive one on these roads to compare myself, but was curious of others opinions that might know? Thanks
I went from a 2015 Z71 Colorado to a Ranger Lariat with Sport package (not FX). I was very satisfied with the Colorado, but wanted to go back to a Ranger (and I trade very 2 to 3 years and I'd had the Colorado for 4 years, so time to trade). Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference although I believe the Colorado was a tiny bit smoother on highways. On bumpy, patched roads, I can't really tell any difference. To get a truly smoother ride over bumpy roads, you'll probably need to go to an F150. Short wheelbases are by nature going to be a little bumpier.

OP
OP

John62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
I went from a 2015 Z71 Colorado to a Ranger Lariat with Sport package (not FX). I was very satisfied with the Colorado, but wanted to go back to a Ranger (and I trade very 2 to 3 years and I'd had the Colorado for 4 years, so time to trade). Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference although I believe the Colorado was a tiny bit smoother on highways. On bumpy, patched roads, I can't really tell any difference. To get a truly smoother ride over bumpy roads, you'll probably need to go to an F150. Short wheelbases are by nature going to be a little bumpier.
Thanks for the opinion, I just honestly can't remember my 2000 ranger being that bad on the same roads and that was with 250,000 miles, and my Colorado is brand new.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The first Ranger I test drove had the FX4 option, I felt the ride was too stiff for me. The second one I drove didn't have that option and the ride was softer, so that's the one I bought.

But, these are trucks, they are not built for a luxury ride. I could have easily lived with the FX4 option if I had to but I had a choice.

The FX4 option is for off road, which I don't do anymore. My 4 wheeling now days is driving through a farm field to go hunting. I don't need a stiff suspension or tires that make lots of noise on a freeway.

So, pick your options for what you intend to use the truck for.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I've only had my FX4 Super Crew for a couple of weeks and bought it to be my main driver. I am very happy with the ride and when comparing it to my 05 Ranger Edge, I find it much smoother and quieter on rough roads. I did not test drive a Colorado before buying my new Ranger.

If you test drive any Ranger, make sure the tire pressures are correct since they are set high for transport and dealers tend to not adjust them back. That makes a big difference in ride quality. I think you really need to drive several since your Colorado is so new.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

This.

If I've learned one thing from reading reviews and forum postings, "Ride Quality" is highly subjective. I think the only way for you to be sure is to test drive on on similar roads and compare.

One thing I can tell you is that when I did my test drive I drove my 2005 FX4 Ranger to the test drive, so it was easy to compare the rides of both. The 2005 was WAY "truckier" than the 2019. I really like how my new Ranger drives since it is now my daily driver. I do a lot of driving of potholey forest service gravel roads, and I think my new Ranger handles those better than my old one did.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I find the Ranger is jittery over a series of small bumps and the rear is harsh over pothole type hits but nice on a smooth road.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a 2013 Escape 4wd to the Ranger and I had to get use to the ride. The ride is much stiffer and in off road use can be a little harsh especially for passengers. But on road the ride is very nice and I have no complaints. The F150 does have a softer ride but in the volumes it sells in that's to be expected most people who buy F150's don't take them off road.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a super crew 4x4 FX package. My experience on a rough road at a moderate speed it eats the road up very decent ride. On a normal road with normal humps & bumps it lets you know your driving FX package. Rides like a truck. O it is a truck thank God.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I have a super crew 4x4 FX package. My experience on a rough road at a moderate speed it eats the road up very decent ride. On a normal road with normal humps & bumps it lets you know your driving FX package. Rides like a truck. O it is a truck thank God.
Likewise...

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Had a 2015 Colorado Z71 2wd before the Ranger XLT 2wd. While driving through a field of dips and whoops, I'd say both drove the about the same. The Ranger does seem to throw me around a bit more but it could be because it's new and the suspension hasn't settled in, I'm just guessing.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Recently did a 50 mile High Desert trip with a lot of washboard and smaller rocks & bumps. I was impressed...only felt the washboard at about 15-20 mph...at all other speeds it just ate it up.

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I traded my 2017 Colorado WT for the Ranger Sport XLT. Being both are 2wd, I can one say, the Ranger has more power, handles better, smoothly, it doesnt have that hard truck chassis movement of jerking you side to side on curbs, bumps, speed bumps etc. It is also quieter than the Colordado. Cabin on the Ranger is a bit bigger and has more options, trims and bells than the WT model Chevy, for almost close to the same price right now.
Sponsored