Ranger Raptor Wheels Design flaw? Clean them well!

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

If you have seen my introduction pictures. You have noticed that I am having a lot of fun with my EU-spec Ranger Raptor and not shy in pushing it off track. So here is my first contribution and I hope it is in the correct section.

Several times I noticed that my wheel balance would be off after a day or so. And after having a closer thought and look I found the problem.

Mud collects on inside of the rims. And when parked it collects in the bottom part, where it dries and sticks. Causing out of balance wheels and vibration on roads.

I have added some pictures which show the collected mud, and after cleaning it can also be see that there is a sort of a raised ring on the inside which traps the collected mud. A ring, which I assume, is there to strengthen the rims.

So make sure to pay attention to clean the rims well.

Hopefully I can soon show a planned mod to add a 30EUR front camera to my Raptor, among some other cheapo, but practical mods.

20200417_151046.jpg

20200417_151114.jpg

20200417_151856.jpg
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
That’s surprising that they have that rib there. I always seem to collect some here during the winter weather, but never that much!

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Power wash when you get home from off road?
Remove wheels, clean and ceramic coat them once a year!

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Happened all the time with my stock XJ/TJ wheels. Those were in production for decades unchanged. Simply clean as quick as possible, and remember the off-road rule #2: Don't let mud dry; anywhere.

OP
OP
Raptor-EU

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Thx for the reply. I didn't know if other rims had the same raise. And I did clean my car. But just missed a part on 1 wheel. So I got curious if it was normal. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
late to the party. But most wheels are actually like that. Waxing the inside helps debris from collecting and makes it easier to clean.
Sponsored