Ranger Raptor Wheels + 285/70/17, HELP!

Mr. Boots

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have the Ford Performance Fox Kit on my truck. I know that a 265/70/17 will fit on a set of wheels and I won't have to do anything with the intrusion bars for that fitment. I would like to go 285/70/17 but I didn't think the Ranger Raptor wheels would support that tire size without spacers due to backspacing so close to the spindle. Is this incorrect? I know they are only 55mm offset so not much farther out than my Lariat stock 18's. This is all so confusing to me lol. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Ford Performance Fox Kit on my truck. I know that a 265/70/17 will fit on a set of wheels and I won't have to do anything with the intrusion bars for that fitment. I would like to go 285/70/17 but I didn't think the Ranger Raptor wheels would support that tire size without spacers due to backspacing so close to the spindle. Is this incorrect? I know they are only 55mm offset so not much farther out than my Lariat stock 18's. This is all so confusing to me lol. Any help is appreciated!
You’re likely going to have more issues than just backspacing. 285s are better suited to a 3” lift, modified crash bars and wheels with less offset or spacers. Have a look at this thread on 275s and you’ll see what I mean.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ko2’s-in-275-70r17.10913/post-218267

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
You’re likely going to have more issues than just backspacing. 285s are better suited to a 3” lift, modified crash bars and wheels with less offset or spacers. Have a look at this thread on 275s and you’ll see what I mean.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ko2’s-in-275-70r17.10913/post-218267
I had Toyo OC AT2 285/70's on factory sport wheels with only a 2.5" lift, crash bars still installed. Now I had paper thin clearance on full lock, but I did have clearance.

Problem people run into is every manufacturer has slightly different specs. So some will work, some will not.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I had Toyo OC AT2 285/70's on factory sport wheels with only a 2.5" lift, crash bars still installed. Now I had paper thin clearance on full lock, but I did have clearance.

Problem people run into is every manufacturer has slightly different specs. So some will work, some will not.
Yeah, I’ve heard some folks are getting lucky with those Toyos.

It’s a real crap shoot with the variance it specs between manufacturers. Some people get lucky, some, not so much. If I hadn’t pushed my bars back with my 275s, I would have been paper thin too. Still, I’m installing ReadyLIFT beams. I wouldn’t want to be braking hard in a turn to avoid an issue and catch those bars as I compressed. I enjoy doing the work so it’s all good.

btw - your new side-mounted LEDs on the ten-foot look great.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I’ve heard some folks are getting lucky with those Toyos.

It’s a real crap shoot with the variance it specs between manufacturers. Some people get lucky, some, not so much. If I hadn’t pushed my bars back with my 275s, I would have been paper thin too. Still, I’m installing ReadyLIFT beams. I wouldn’t want to be braking hard in a turn to avoid an issue and catch those bars as I compressed. I enjoy doing the work so it’s all good.

btw - your new side-mounted LEDs on the ten-foot look great.
Thanks. I hope sometime in near future I can move to flush mounts just to get a better integrated look.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I hope sometime in near future I can move to flush mounts just to get a better integrated look.
That would be cool. I saw a thread here where someone put flush mounts beside their rear plate. I don’t recall the brand or where they were bought but I liked the look.
Sponsored