First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Looking to purchase 2020 Ranger XLT with 302 and tow pkg. I need to carry two 10 foot kayaks and two adult bikes. Any suggestions on reasonably priced items. The Yakima Overhaul HD Truck Bed adjustable bed rack with cross bars is $800-$1000. Seems overkill for $200 kayaks. Can one just throw 10 foot kayaks in the bed for shorter 5-10 mile trips?

Thanks

Ron
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

This is the setup we had for our pair of 14' kayaks (before we got the topper). Yakima cross bars on top of the cab. Easy to use. Easy to take on and off. Cheaper than the bed racks. Plenty solid.

IMG_20190610_213111450_HDR.jpg

This is the setup we have now. Not necessarily what you're looking for, but a great setup for us now.

IMG_20200604_190258357_HDR.jpg

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Looking to purchase 2020 Ranger XLT with 302 and tow pkg. I need to carry two 10 foot kayaks and two adult bikes. Any suggestions on reasonably priced items. The Yakima Overhaul HD Truck Bed adjustable bed rack with cross bars is $800-$1000. Seems overkill for $200 kayaks. Can one just throw 10 foot kayaks in the bed for shorter 5-10 mile trips?

Thanks

Ron
I carry 2 10 foot kayaks in the bed constantly.

I put a carabiner on the nose of each kayak and run a strap through those that attaches to the hooks in the bed. The nose hangs off the truck so the way I strap it pulls them back into the bed of the truck. Then I run a strap across the middle to keep them against the floor. Throw a flag on and away I go.

Ive used this method for trips that were over 100 miles and have had zero issues.
For bikes I use a hitch mount bike rack.

Dangerpete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Army Safety
This is the setup we had for our pair of 14' kayaks (before we got the topper). Yakima cross bars on top of the cab. Easy to use. Easy to take on and off. Cheaper than the bed racks. Plenty solid.

IMG_20190610_213111450_HDR.jpg

This is the setup we have now. Not necessarily what you're looking for, but a great setup for us now.

IMG_20200604_190258357_HDR.jpg
Any issues with not running a bow tie down? I use a Yakima rack over the bed to haul my 14 footer and am always concerned about the bow not having a good tie point

Deleted member 1634

Any issues with not running a bow tie down? I use a Yakima rack over the bed to haul my 14 footer and am always concerned about the bow not having a good tie point
We used bow tie downs when we had them above the cab. Ran them down to the front tow hooks. Definitely felt we needed them in that situation. On the topper they're so solid I don't feel we need them. I can grab a kayak and rock the whole truck with it. Applying more force than any wind ever would. And with them lying flat, they're less of a sail and more aerodynamic, which helps a lot.

Rwils31

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Toyota
My wife and I have 2 9.5ft kayaks and use 1 tie down and a rope to secure. Haven’t had any issues at all.

A702FD8F-A5A6-4541-AC9E-0729102DDCD0.jpeg

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I have 2 9.5ft kayaks and use 1 tie down and a rope to secure. Haven’t had any issues at all.

A702FD8F-A5A6-4541-AC9E-0729102DDCD0.jpeg
I do the same thing with my 10'. Use 1 rope through the front grab handler of the kayak. And another through the center grab handles. Only thing I would recommend is getting some large plastic clear bra that you can cut to protect the tailgate. I got a rock ding likely from when I had the tailgate down which is the only way I could see how it happened. To protect the paint. But granted I drove 6 hours like that and on a dirt road.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with putting them in the bed is then you can't use a hitch bike rack. But depending on your tonneau situation, you could use a Yakima Bedrock style cross bar to put your bikes above your bed.

Or you could probably strap your bikes in to the bed leaning to the sides and interfering with the kayaks. One thing I found after having the bikes & kayaks on the roof of my old escape... when it's a PITA to transport them, I don't go as often. Which is why I eventually mounted a hitch and bought a hitch bike rack for the Escape... and it's why I changed from a vertical stacker style to a rear roller style for my Overhaul rack. It now takes less than 10min for us to load and strap down both kayaks.

@Dangerpete - I recommend always using bow/stern lines. Every single horror story about kayaks coming loose on the highway starts the same exact way as yours. Also keep in mind that it's not just wind force, its what happens if you end up in an accident. Bow/Stern lines are the only fore/aft secure they have.
Sponsored