Advertisement

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
how do you define final assembly?
Well, any assembly consists of a number of steps. The final steps are...the ones done last.

Fact is that it seems that Ford is being cagey about this issue.
They really aren't.

At the very least they are releasing contradictory information, or some technicality has been applied.
Nope. It's really simple, and already explained more than once.

I gather that the window origin paper is absolute proof and is infallible in your estimation?
Correct. There are significant penalties for mislabeling, and there's no way the lawyers would let them screw it up. Also, from a purely practical standpoint, there's no way ford would miss the chance to label it of US origin if they could, so they could brag about it.

Do you know which plant? In spite of previous accusations, I have no dog in this fight.
I am merely trying to clear up the controversy and seek the truth.
There is no real controversy. This is really, really, really simple. Again: the country of origin rules mandate that ford take the total cost of the engine, which includes parts & labor, and assign the costs to the countries where the money was spent. So we know that at best the US component is less than half. In reality there can be multiple origins, and the one that makes the top billing is the one with the largest percentage. So it could be something like 50% mexico, 49% kazakhstan, and 1% US (where the entire US contribution is pulling the engine out of a box and putting a "Cleveland" sticker on it). There is zero controversy, no reason for confusion, and no conspiracy behind acknowledging that two things are true: the final assembly of the engine is in Cleveland, and that all of the work on the engine that's done in the US accounts for less of the engine's cost than the work done in Mexico. I honestly do not understand what could possibly still be in question. It sounds like you want some kind of validation to say that the part done in the US is more important and/or matters more, even though it accounts for a minority of the engine's cost. That's entirely subjective, and if you want to decide that it's a US-built engine by that definition than good news--there are no rules covering your personal definition so you can consider yourself validated. Similarly, as long as ford does some final assembly to the engine in cleveland, there's nothing to stop them from saying it was made in cleveland even if all they're doing is screwing together a couple of complete assemblies that come in a box from mexico. It's unlikely that you'll get ford to tell you what specific steps are done in cleveland and which steps are done elsewhere--and it doesn't matter, because your ford warranty covers the truck, regardless of where specific pieces of it came from.

Advertisement

Doc

First Name
Doc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
Do you know which plant? In spite of previous accusations, I have no dog in this fight.
I am merely trying to clear up the controversy and seek the truth.
My TC was assembled in Valencia, Spain. Ford has earned my business, regardless of country of origin.
Most others have never even come close.
Dunno, just said Mexico on the engine..
Regards

Floyd

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
Dunno, just said Mexico on the engine..
Regards
Thanks, now that does add something to solving the mystery.:like:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
It's really simple to mess with statistics and change the answers to match what you're looking for. My guess is most of these lists, and the manufacturers, are doing just that.

For an example, a local official where my camp is was trying to ban out of state owners from coming. Her reason, there was a 25% increase in Covid-19 cases from week one of June to week two of June in the county. Locals were insane about it, pissed off and angry that out of staters were getting them sick. I pointed out that there were 4 cases the first week and 5 the second, so while the statistic was correct the rest was bullshit.

Harry’s Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if I am wrong but this 2.3 engine was first in the Ford Mustang SVO?

Floyd

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
Correct me if I am wrong but this 2.3 engine was first in the Ford Mustang SVO?
You have the displacement correct, starting in 1984 the 2.3L turbo was offered in the Mustang SVO.
It was also offered in the Turbo Thunderbird, in the MustangGT turbo, the Mercury Capri, and in the Merkur XR4Ti.

Of course that engine was a derivative of the venerable 2.3L (Pinto) engine Built in Lima Ohio,
All Cast Iron, single overhead cam and EEC-IV. not related to the EcoBoost 2.3L

Actually the first 2.3L Turbo(not SVO) was offered in the 1979 Mustang,(not EEC-IV and only 132HP)

Last edited:

El Renno

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand how the ranger can lead the list while nothing else from Ford is even on the list
I think it's due to the fact that they had to re-engineer quite a few of the parts from the global vehicle to make it suitable for the American market. A lot of the interior carries over. The exterior, not so much.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement