Random shutdown

Wngsprnt50

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Today while highway driving I pulled out to pass a car. Pre collision kicked in to warn, then the engine died, all the traction control warnings, hill start assist, high coolant temp,airbag warnings, etc. Cycled thru over and over. Unable to restart while moving. So I pulled over to shoulder, shut truck down and restarted fine. No issue. Had torque running at the time so I looked at coolant temp highs and it was only 201. Probably gonna need to chat with dealer on this one, but thought I would toss it out on the off chance anyone else has witnessed this.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Today while highway driving I pulled out to pass a car. Pre collision kicked in to warn, then the engine died, all the traction control warnings, hill start assist, high coolant temp,airbag warnings, etc. Cycled thru over and over. Unable to restart while moving. So I pulled over to shoulder, shut truck down and restarted fine. No issue. Had torque running at the time so I looked at coolant temp highs and it was only 201. Probably gonna need to chat with dealer on this one, but thought I would toss it out on the off chance anyone else has witnessed this.
Had torque running????????

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not good...
Electrical glitch and they probably won't find it unless there's a code..
I had a '16 Acura RDX that brake mitigation came on after the light turned green and I moved up about 20ft and stopped it. No one in front of me and I then was hit in the rear.

I went right to the dealer and they checked what they could and found nothing. Notified Acura, had a case number in case it happened again. I turned it off around town.

Last edited:

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
@Hounddog409
I imagine he is talking about the phone app called Torque. It is a great app, I also have it. You can see all kinds of real time info on the vehicle in customizable gauges on the phone screen.. Read and clear codes, plus a bunch of other neat stuff.

@Wngsprnt50 are you able to put the Torque app screen on the main display in the truck? I should get mine in a few weeks so cannot test in person. I believe that can be done with the Waze app but think phone needs to be connected via USB cable.

Sorry to hear about the weird shutdown. Hope it is a one-off. My Jetta did that once long ago. It was really damp and rainy at the time, figure a drop of water got somewhere it should not have.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
@Hounddog409
I imagine he is talking about the phone app called Torque. It is a great app, I also have it. You can see all kinds of real time info on the vehicle in customizable gauges on the phone screen.. Read and clear codes, plus a bunch of other neat stuff.

@Wngsprnt50 are you able to put the Torque app screen on the main display in the truck? I should get mine in a few weeks so cannot test in person. I believe that can be done with the Waze app but think phone needs to be connected via USB cable.

Sorry to hear about the weird shutdown. Hope it is a one-off. My Jetta did that once long ago. It was really damp and rainy at the time, figure a drop of water got somewhere it should not have.
Waze works with Android Auto (through USB cable) as well as Torque Pro (4.95). It does look pretty cool.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Sweet, thanks Mike. It is good to know those apps work well with the truck display. I have the paid version of Torque Pro. Helped me diagnose plenty on my car and friends.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Sweet, thanks Mike. It is good to know those apps work well with the truck display. I have the paid version of Torque Pro. Helped me diagnose plenty on my car and friends.
All those things ONLY work if you have SYNC-3. Us cheep skates that only have SYNC are not able to do that.

OP
OP

Wngsprnt50

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it was the Torque app. Lots of good info from it. I haven’t tried to put the app on screen yet, but have heard it will work.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Had a similar experience last month. Got all the same warnings but didn’t lose any power. Warnings cleared after a restart and draining a bit. Brought t to dealer who kept it and test drive it, read codes etc. but couldn’t find what caused it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Yes it was the Torque app. Lots of good info from it. I haven’t tried to put the app on screen yet, but have heard it will work.
What obd reader are you using?

Tom2870

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 Lariat SuperCab, 1970 VW Beetle
Occupation
Retired
I had the same problem occurr with my Lariat SuperCab 2WD that WNGSPRNT50 experienced. Mine occurred after I shut off the engine for about 5 minutes and tried to restart it, nothing happened when I pushed the Start Button, no sound, nothing, except "check engine" light was on and the left digital dash stated displaying the same error messages as WNGSPRNT50 experienced. I tried to start it several times with no success, no sound, nothing and then called to make arrangements to have it towed to the dealer. After waiting 30 minutes I tried it again and it started, and I drove it to the dealer. The dealer has had it for 11 days now. Prior to this problem I had the "check engine" light come on twice.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem occurr with my Lariat SuperCab 2WD that WNGSPRNT50 experienced. Mine occurred after I shut off the engine for about 5 minutes and tried to restart it, nothing happened when I pushed the Start Button, no sound, nothing, except "check engine" light was on and the left digital dash stated displaying the same error messages as WNGSPRNT50 experienced. I tried to start it several times with no success, no sound, nothing and then called to make arrangements to have it towed to the dealer. After waiting 30 minutes I tried it again and it started, and I drove it to the dealer. The dealer has had it for 11 days now. Prior to this problem I had the "check engine" light come on twice.
11 days????????

Seems excessive. I hope you've been getting updates?

Tom2870

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 Lariat SuperCab, 1970 VW Beetle
Occupation
Retired
11 days is long time, but I would rather have the truck in the hands of the dealer than be on the Interstate in heavy fast traffic and have the engine shut down.The dealer is great. They are checking all the error codes it threw and trying to get it to do it again. They have been in communication with Ford about the problem and are awaiting Ford's recommendations. I have no problem with the dealer.

OP
OP

Wngsprnt50

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it happened again tonight. This time I not only video'd the dash warnings but had my obd reader hooked up and caught a code. P068A. Some research points to a possibility of a low voltage condition that kills the ecu. It restarted ok and on the way home I tried to recreate the conditions while monitoring. Voltage dropped to 12.0 volts under hard acceleration but did not kill it. Does seem pretty low for system voltage while driving a new vehicle but will get with mechanic tomorrow and see what the thresholds are.
Sponsored