First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Marketing Strategist
Decided since the local drag strip opened up I would take my son down to run his Mustang. Figured I would see how the truck is running and get some data logs for my tuner.

The first run I had my son in the truck and was just explaining how the whole process works and what to do to make a pass. No power braking for launch. Got a 14.5 which I thought was little slow for how well the truck pulls.

Let the truck cool down while riding with my son for his first pass. After that I hopped back in my truck to have a chance to concentrate and make a better run. This time I power braked it to about 2k rpms and ended up with a 13.9

Hopefully be able to go back down and take some air out of the tires and get the launch down better. Definitely now trying to decide what my first mechanical modication will be. Thinking either intercooler hard pipes or catless downpipe. Still trying to figure out which one would be most beneficial.

Updated with easier to view YouTube video link.

Sponsored

Last edited:

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
That's a better time than my 2001 Mustang Bullit (stock) did on the same track back in the day. Amazing performance from today's vehicles and they're more efficient at the same time.

OP
OP

BJMartin

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing Strategist
nice run

but i have to ask....hows the corona in your area? public events like that are still not happening anywhere I know of.
Pretty much everything here has re-opened. My son and I stayed in our vehicles the whole time except to switch when riding together. We also parked at the end of the pits so that there wouldn’t be people around. Video was taken by a friend that sent it to me while on my way home.

OP
OP

BJMartin

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing Strategist
So that’s with a tune only?
impressive ????
is that a 4wd too?
Tune only, 35psi in the stock tires, and 2wd. I really think if I dropped them to about 25psi and raised my rpms at launch I could have dropped a few more tenths.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

BJMartin

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing Strategist
You have to tell us what your son ran.
Slooooooowwwwww. Car has 200k miles on it, tune wasn’t in it because my SCT fried again (switching to HP Tuners like what I have on my truck), only other mod is headers. This was the first time he’s even pushed the pedal to the floor. Good news, he likes it! Bad news, that means it’s going to cost me to help him build it the right way.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
nice...my 97 cobra with gears an exhaust change wouldn't break 13's. My best was 14.02 at 100.4 The gears were done before I got it an I'm pretty sure they were 4.10's. I would hit the rev limiter at about a 1000 feet in third gear. I tried it both ways shifting into 4th an leaving it in 3rd an banging the rev limiter an it ran the same. I was gonna blow that thing up getting a 13.99 lol

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

BJMartin

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing Strategist
I know how you feel. My original '07 Mustang would run 13.07 @ 107 all day long, but no matter what I did I couldnt break into the 12's. 3.31 gears was killing me, with a good tire it would bog down too much and with a street tire it would spin them. So damn frustrating.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
drag racing does funny things to a person. My one friend had a stripped down fox body with a 75 hp shot of N2O an one day he ran 12.15, 12.15, 12.17 at test an tune....I said man you got a perfect bracket car an he said yea but I'm gonna put a 125 shot on it to run 11's lol

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
drag racing does funny things to a person. My one friend had a stripped down fox body with a 75 hp shot of N2O an one day he ran 12.15, 12.15, 12.17 at test an tune....I said man you got a perfect bracket car an he said yea but I'm gonna put a 125 shot on it to run 11's lol
Its never enough... lol. My wife mad since i turned my $1,000 commuter Civic into a $20,000 sleeper that i can no longer drive to work, gets 7MPG on E85, but I hit an 11.9 last season. My Ranger is now my commuter vehicle.
Sponsored