Radio/Head Unit Thermal Break

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
Today popped up a new minor issue.

My LCD (5inch) radio screen stopped working...just a black screen..no reverse camera....nothing....however the radio continued to work fine ..volume...tuning..Bluetooth streaming...etc etc. I thought I accidentally turned the screen off but toggling the screen on/off button did nothing .

I had my heat on high and it was very hot inside the truck.

I pulled over to turn the truck off and let sit for a min and turned back on and still nothing on the screen just black.

I continued driving and turned heat off and set climate control to fresh air ..as it's about 24deg F outside it didn't take long for the cab to get chilly ...within 30 min of driving with fresh cool air circulating I pressed the screen on/off button and the screen came back on with no further issue.

I will continue to monitor this as im curious if I reached some form of thermal limit with my heat on
Sponsored

OP
OP
MagneticRanger

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
I thought about that for sure....but again it was Heat full on 3/4 max speed....almost sweating warmth!

I'll have to be observant in the future as more cold winter weather will be in the forecast eventually

I cant imagine you did.
My reasoning is that a hot summer day in the lower 48 would be shutting of screens constantly

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Today popped up a new minor issue.

My LCD (5inch) radio screen stopped working...just a black screen..no reverse camera....nothing....however the radio continued to work fine ..volume...tuning..Bluetooth streaming...etc etc. I thought I accidentally turned the screen off but toggling the screen on/off button did nothing .

I had my heat on high and it was very hot inside the truck.

I pulled over to turn the truck off and let sit for a min and turned back on and still nothing on the screen just black.

I continued driving and turned heat off and set climate control to fresh air ..as it's about 24deg F outside it didn't take long for the cab to get chilly ...within 30 min of driving with fresh cool air circulating I pressed the screen on/off button and the screen came back on with no further issue.

I will continue to monitor this as im curious if I reached some form of thermal limit with my heat on
100 degree temps here in SE Alabama thru October, no issues with this.
Sponsored