Questions before buying my Ranger

MichMan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 2010 Ford Explorer
I am likely going to buy a 2019 ranger to take advantage of year end incentives, but had a few questions for you all.

1) Since the Ranger has been on the U.S. market for 10 months now, is it safe to assume most known production and engineering glitches have been resolved by now?

2) If I had my dealer install "remote start" to a Ranger that didn't have factory remote, would it be the same "app controlled" version as the factory installed, or just a simple key fob wifi version? and is this fairly intrusive to the electrical system to install, or does the dealer simply activate something? (I've always felt factory installed stuff will work better/last longer then dealer installed)

3) I will probably buy an A.R.E. cap for my truck, and use it primarily for carrying camping equipment and towing a recreational trailer. Is the factory spray in bed liner, or utility bed liner compatible with an A.R.E. box or should I buy a truck without a bed option?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I am likely going to buy a 2019 ranger to take advantage of year end incentives, but had a few questions for you all.

1) Since the Ranger has been on the U.S. market for 10 months now, is it safe to assume most known production and engineering glitches have been resolved by now?

2) If I had my dealer install "remote start" to a Ranger that didn't have factory remote, would it be the same "app controlled" version as the factory installed, or just a simple key fob wifi version? and is this fairly intrusive to the electrical system to install, or does the dealer simply activate something? (I've always felt factory installed stuff will work better/last longer then dealer installed)

3) I will probably buy an A.R.E. cap for my truck, and use it primarily for carrying camping equipment and towing a recreational trailer. Is the factory spray in bed liner, or utility bed liner compatible with an A.R.E. box or should I buy a truck without a bed option?
In regards to question 1: I was apprehensive to buy the 2019 Ranger and was going to hold out for the 2020. After reading a ton of info posted on this site I felt that there were issues with some vehicles but they seemed to be sporadic like the injector problems which seems to be just a defective batch. With that said I bought mine in July and have had zero issues so far. They have not changed anything for the 2020's except for a couple colors and added the Fx2 package.

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
They have not changed anything for the 2020's except for a couple colors and added the Fx2 package.
One other change is that Sync 3 and the Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC) is now standard on the 2020 XLT.

brun0

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 CC
just read that ford had a recall of 19500 pickups for a "poor" HVAC motor design leading to it potienally smoking and catching fire. considering the 2020s havent made there appearance yet, its safe to say ford will fix the issue for the next model year.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
just read that ford had a recall of 19500 pickups for a "poor" HVAC motor design leading to it potienally smoking and catching fire. considering the 2020s havent made there appearance yet, its safe to say ford will fix the issue for the next model year.
It almost sounds like another bad batch as it was only trucks produced for a relatively short period. My truck, built in March was not part of the recall.

From this thread: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ranger-vehicles-hvac-blower-motor-issue.4727/

Build Dates: August 1, 2019 through September 27, 2019

So it only affects trucks built for about two months. Quoting the recall itself:

the HVAC blower motor may have been built with an improper clearance between
It does appear by the wording ("built") that there was a bad batch of motors. Not a design flaw.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It almost sounds like another bad batch as it was only trucks produced for a relatively short period. My truck, built in March was not part of the recall.

From this thread: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ranger-vehicles-hvac-blower-motor-issue.4727/

Build Dates: August 1, 2019 through September 27, 2019

So it only affects trucks built for about two months. Quoting the recall itself:

It does appear by the wording ("built") that there was a bad batch of motors. Not a design flaw.
Hi Rob,

Agreed that it appears to be a bad batch of motors. There may be a redesign to prevent the clearance issue, but it is not considered a "flaw" just because there is an improvement. I was involved in a few legal cases where the plaintiff tried to use the strategy of the old design being flawed because Ford made a change. It is a loosing strategy as it is not a crime to make an improvement. Do not know if the motor is built in house or is supplier built. Ford has strict guidelines for suppliers wrt process changes to ensure the change does not impact component quality, but some suppliers make changes without the validation Ford requires and thus gets in trouble. If very grievous, the supplier looses the part sourcing to another company. Also, if it is the suppliers fault, they pay for the recall, but Ford takes the hit in the press.... And life goes on...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang

1. I think you’d be good to go! I’m happy with my 2019 and I waiting a while to let things get sorted out and bought a July build in August.
2. I’m pretty sure it’s a key fob that they would set you up with. You could just use Fordpass and save the extra cash though!
3. I don’t think the spray in would interfere, but I’d recommend Line-X over the factory spray-in as it’s a much better product with better coverage and warranty!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

Agreed that it appears to be a bad batch of motors. There may be a redesign to prevent the clearance issue, but it is not considered a "flaw" just because there is an improvement. I was involved in a few legal cases where the plaintiff tried to use the strategy of the old design being flawed because Ford made a change. It is a loosing strategy as it is not a crime to make an improvement. Do not know if the motor is built in house or is supplier built. Ford has strict guidelines for suppliers wrt process changes to ensure the change does not impact component quality, but some suppliers make changes without the validation Ford requires and thus gets in trouble. If very grievous, the supplier looses the part sourcing to another company. Also, if it is the suppliers fault, they pay for the recall, but Ford takes the hit in the press.... And life goes on...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
It is stuff like that that I will miss when you leave, Phil. Interesting info and relevant to the current recall.

I've learned SO much about Ford since I ordered my Ranger and joined here.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

For #1 - My truck was build in March and other than a slightly leaky mirror turn signal light, it has been flawless for me. I couldn't be happier and it has exceeded my expectations.

I can't really speak to #2 and 3. If I were getting a spray in liner, I'd probably opt for a LineX or similar aftermarket spray in. It seems as though they are better than the factory spray in liners. I had a LineX on my last Ranger and it held up REALLY well. I abused the bed a lot and the liner did a GREAT job of protecting it.

My brother got an SnugTop cap but he didn't have any spray in liner - he ended up getting a BedRug (as did I). It looks REALLY nice.

Don't know if that helps or not....

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I have no remote start on my two buttom xlt key. but use the ford pass every day to remote start mine works flawless and from inside a building half block away!! and I can schedule a start!! ask your dealer if you need the "factory" installed one.

Deleted member 1634

1) I think it would be safe to assume that most production issues are worked out. After 20,000+ builds you tend to catch most production problems. Engineering glitches are harder to find as some of them don't show up until years later as lifetime/fatigue problems. But that would be true of pretty much any year vehicle you get. Mine was built early this year and has had no issues whatsoever!

2) As I understand it, any and all Rangers have the ability to be remote started via the free Fordpass app. No need to have a system installed at all. That's definitely the way I would've gone, but mine came with the fob start option as part of a package. The app certainly has more range (the world theoretically) if both the truck and your phone have cell signal.

3) If the topper you're going to get just clamps onto the bedrails like most of the do, then you should be fine with a spray-in liner. I have an aftermarket spray-in liner and have both my tonneau and cargo bag clamped to the bedrails just fine.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Hey, Paul, just speaking from personal experience (with the 2019 Lariat FX4), I have had absolutely no "production and engineering glitches" since taking delivery in August. (The only issue we have is with the suspension system, which we find too bouncy, but in the meantime, Ford Performance has released a Ford-branded Fox suspension upgrade to take care of that.) I know that there are aftermarket remote start options, but if you can swing it, the factory installed option really works great. You can start the vehicle remotely using either the fob or your phone (via Ford Pass). We especially love starting it remotely while it waits for us in an overheated parking lot on a summer day because it lets the air conditioning cool the vehicle before we get to it; looking forward to doing the same thing with the heating in winter.
Sponsored