Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
Hi Phil,
I live in Sierra Vista AZ, not far from Green Valley just one problem a mountain range between us.

My question is
If I change my own oil (which I have done for years) and have a turbo or engine failure of some sort will Ford refuse to fix the problem under warranty?.

The dealer here in Sierra Vista says Ford will turn the warranty repair down because Ford or some other oil change place didn't do the work. Years ago they weren't this fussy. I know I will do the work more carefully than a quick lube place. I save receipts for oil and motorcraft filter purchases.
Sponsored

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
The dealer here in Sierra Vista says Ford will turn the warranty repair down because Ford or some other oil change place didn't do the work. Years ago they weren't this fussy. I know I will do the work more carefully than a quick lube place. I save receipts for oil and motorcraft filter purchases.
I realize I am not Phil, but that isn't even legal. Auto manufacturers cannot reject warranty claims due to maintenance being performed by someone other than the dealer.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hi Phil,
I live in Sierra Vista AZ, not far from Green Valley just one problem a mountain range between us.

My question is
If I change my own oil (which I have done for years) and have a turbo or engine failure of some sort will Ford refuse to fix the problem under warranty?.

The best thing you can do is keep record of when you do your own oil change. If younget an inspection sheet of sorts and fill it out when you do the service. When it comes to warranty time foe engine or turbo failure then you will want to show them that. That by itself will back you and Ford wont have any issues.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil,

My question is

Hi Mark,

I have always changed my own oil. I document the mileage and the receipts for oil and filter. Ford to my knowledge will honor the worranty...the dealer is flat wrong...probably trying to drum up business. I have never had a warranty problem with a vehicle that the dealer did not honor. Why this disinformation from the dealer exists. If you wish, call Ford Customer Care and ask the question, document the call, the person and the date. and complain that the dealer stated this warranty would be disallowed. The owners manual to my knowledge does not say that DYI is strictly prohibited. The Magnuson Moss warranty act is on your side. The dealer would have to prove you caused the problem... Are there more than one Ford Dealer over there? If so, try the other dealer. Been through Sierra Vista a few times and do not recall more than one Ford dealer, unfortunately.

Please feel okay to change your own oil. I do the same as I know when it is done, it is done right!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
The dealer here in Sierra Vista says Ford will turn the warranty repair down because Ford or some other oil change place didn't do the work.
Being lied to by that dealer really makes me angry. The person you spoke with had to know he was lying. For absolutely sure, I would contact the Ford Motor Company and complain.

OP
OP
SAZ Ranger

SAZ Ranger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
Thanks to P.A. Schilke, Dahveed and the rest of you. Makes me feel better about doing my own oil changes again.

May last car 2015 Fusion which was very comfortable and trouble free was so close to the ground it was hard to get under and do anything. The Ranger is easy.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I put everything I do to my truck in the service history part of the ford pass app. Using that for my records and to help me remember when I did what. After the last couple issues I had from the dealer I am not going back to them unless I absolutely have to.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I put everything I do to my truck in the service history part of the ford pass app. Using that for my records and to help me remember when I did what. After the last couple issues I had from the dealer I am not going back to them unless I absolutely have to.
Same. I’ve started to document all of mine there as well. Ford or the dealer should be able to see those records any time the vehicle is in for service.

GySgt.Elliott

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Medical device manufacturing, Retired USMC
Hi Phil,

I think you knew my father in law. He worked for the Duralast trophy truck race team that Dan Smith and Dave Ashley drove for. He also lived in Green Valley before he moved to Texas a few years ago. PM if any of this rings a bell please.
Sponsored