Question about the FX2 Package

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
I'm seeing mixed messages about what is included in the FX2 package.
Specifically the front skid plate.
Ford said in the original release it was part of the package.
On the order guide it doesn't.
Question for you guys, Have any of you seen a 2020 yet with the FX2 package and if so does it have the skid plate or the regular air dam?

From the Ford Media Announcement;
Aimed at more urban markets, the FX2 Package rides on 17- or available 18-inch off-road tires to add even tougher styling to two-wheel-drive Ranger.
A front underbody guard and air dam-delete provide even more distinction, while shielding the underbody and improving approach angles.
Adding to Ranger’s two-wheel-drive capability, the FX2 Package includes an electronic-locking rear differential and off road-tuned suspension for increased traction and performance off-road. Ford’s off-road cluster screen adds to the FX2
experience inside, where drivers can see pitch, roll and yaw in real time.

From the Ford Order Guide;
★ FX2 PACKAGE (912)
Availability:
● Opt. on XL Mid (101A)
● Opt. on XLT and Lariat
Not available with:
● 4x4, XL Base
● Black Appearance Package (76J)
Requires:
● 4x2
● STX Appearance Package (76F) (101A only)
Includes:
● 4x2 “FX Off-Road” bodyside decal
● 17” Off-Road OWL Tires (TGT)
● 18” Off-Road OWL Tires (TFP)
● Electronic-Locking Rear Differential
● Off-Road Screen in cluster
● Off-Road tuned suspension
Optional Equipment:
● LT 265/65 R17 A/T OWL Tires (TEW)
Sponsored

Attachments

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger XLT 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I would think that the 'front underbody guard' is the skid plate that 'shields the underbody and improves the approach angle'. Why not just say skid plate? dunno.

OP
OP
DannyL

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
I would think that the 'front underbody guard' is the skid plate that 'shields the underbody and improves the approach angle'. Why not just say skid plate? dunno.
I don't know but that isn't my question.

My question is.....
Does the FX2 package include the front skid plate??

One Ford source says Yes and the other doesn't say one way or the other. Just makes no mention which would make one believe it is NOT included

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger XLT 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know but that isn't my question.

My question is.....
Does the FX2 package include the front skid plate??

One Ford source says Yes and the other doesn't say one way or the other. Just makes no mention which would make one believe it is NOT included
I would be surprised if it didn't as the idea behind that package is giving the 2WD some off road capability so I would think it does but I certainly can't prove it

OP
OP
DannyL

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is what I found if anybody is interested
The FX2 Package does have a plate but it is not as big as the unit Ford puts on the FX4.
The 2 pics below show the difference
The top pic if the FX4 skid plate.
The 2nd pic shows what should be referred to as a bash plate
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Here is what I found if anybody is interested
The FX2 Package does have a plate but it is not as big as the unit Ford puts on the FX4.
The 2 pics below show the difference
The top pic if the FX4 skid plate.
The 2nd pic shows what should be referred to as a bash plate
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
I don't know why Ford would go through the trouble of manufacturing 2 different plates for this purpose, the 4x2 plate does not appear to be adequately secured to be much good. Why not just stamp out 1 plate and use it on both? I am reasonably certain that the frame attachment points are identical.
Hopefully, I'll take delivery of my 2020 S/Cab with the FX-2 package today and report back.
For what it's worth, I was seriously considering removing the FX-2 decals on the bed, lest Ranger 4x4 owners see it and say, "Well bless his heart, there goes a 4x4 wannabe"...lol.

OP
OP
DannyL

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know why Ford would go through the trouble of manufacturing 2 different plates for this purpose, the 4x2 plate does not appear to be adequately secured to be much good. Why not just stamp out 1 plate and use it on both? I am reasonably certain that the frame attachment points are identical.
Hopefully, I'll take delivery of my 2020 S/Cab with the FX-2 package today and report back.
For what it's worth, I was seriously considering removing the FX-2 decals on the bed, lest Ranger 4x4 owners see it and say, "Well bless his heart, there goes a 4x4 wannabe"...lol.

LOL I hear ya! I don't care though.
I'm ordering a Lariat supercab FX2 myself in Feb.
We are going to have rare trucks! There won't be a lot of these at least for a while.
YES please report back! I would be most interested in how you like you truck. How it rides and more!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LOL I hear ya! I don't care though.
I'm ordering a Lariat supercab FX2 myself in Feb.
We are going to have rare trucks! There won't be a lot of these at least for a while.
YES please report back! I would be most interested in how you like you truck. How it rides and more!
Indeed, I've only seen 2 S/Cabs here in Hawaii so far, all others, of course, have been S/Crews.
Hopefully, my "Rapid Red Tri-Coat" will be unique here for awhile.
Keep you posted bud...

OP
OP
DannyL

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed, I've only seen 2 S/Cabs here in Hawaii so far, all others, of course, have been S/Crews.
Hopefully, my "Rapid Red Tri-Coat" will be unique here for awhile.
Keep you posted bud...
Rapid Red! Sweet!
I'm going with white platinum tri-coat
I'm moving to the Keys and there is white coal dust and sand everywhere,plus it rains a lot. It won't show the water spots nearly as bad as any other color and it will be cooler in the hot year round sun.

Here are a couple more pics I found showing the difference.
first 2 are FX2 and the 3rd is FX4
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG

Last edited:

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I think the FX2 is more for pre-running (High Speed Off roading) and the FX4 is made more for off roading (OverLanding). So I can understand why they went without all the skid plates.

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The whole reason I ever considered the fx2 was for the skid plate. My Fusion and before that my Monte Carlo made it down all the dirt roads my truck needs to traverse, but I had to be real careful to watch for rocks. The skid plate would have been nice, especially since the roads are getting worse. FWIW the Fusion has some sort of plate under the entire thing.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The whole reason I ever considered the fx2 was for the skid plate. My Fusion and before that my Monte Carlo made it down all the dirt roads my truck needs to traverse, but I had to be real careful to watch for rocks. The skid plate would have been nice, especially since the roads are getting worse. FWIW the Fusion has some sort of plate under the entire thing.
I understand where you're coming from. But also take in consideration that your truck is going to be sitting a lot higher off the ground than both the fusion and the monte carlo.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I understand where you're coming from. But also take in consideration that your truck is going to be sitting a lot higher off the ground than both the fusion and the monte carlo.
Yeah, and I got the fx4 package. I’m just saying I’d be annoyed if I ordered the fx2 and got that puny plate

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rapid Red! Sweet!
I'm going with white platinum tri-coat
I'm moving to the Keys and there is white coal dust and sand everywhere,plus it rains a lot. It won't show the water spots nearly as bad as any other color and it will be cooler in the hot year round sun.

Here are a couple more pics I found showing the difference.
first 2 are FX2 and the 3rd is FX4
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
The first pic shows much better attachment of that plate, Thanks.
All my previous and special ordered Ford pickups were dark metallic blue, I purposely held out until Ford announced the 2020 models in hope that the would offer this color, which they did not.
So, I shot the moon and ordered the red, must be mid-life crisis...lol
Here's a shot of my '00 SuperCab in "Deep Wedgewood Blue metallic" which I just sold last month.
1.jpg

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
for futer referance- the FX2 plate is just a piece if cosmetic plastic. Yes really. Pulled mine and added the 4x4 skid plat, requires changing to 4x4 tow hooks with required brackets for the skid plate, and the trans skid plate. also the FX2 shocks are horrific. do either the Bilstien of Eiback upgrade. FX2 package is still worth it for what you get, incl locking rear diff.
Sponsored