Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer puts these on all their new vehicles. It's a big selling point, whatever. I'm sure they charge a bunch for it. I'm told they don't usually put them on ordered vehicles but mine slipped through somehow.

I didn't get charged for mine, and it's a very good thing. I have requested that they send me the connectors to put it back to factory. This is really shoddy work. This is the kind of stuff that some of us refer to when we don't like the dealer doing our oil changes, etc.

IMG_0476.JPG
Sponsored

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
my mazda I bought 5 years ago had that. came stock.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I am not a fan of those to begin with much less if it was added to my truck without me asking for it.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My dealer puts these on all their new vehicles. It's a big selling point, whatever. I'm sure they charge a bunch for it. I'm told they don't usually put them on ordered vehicles but mine slipped through somehow.

I didn't get charged for mine, and it's a very good thing. I have requested that they send me the connectors to put it back to factory. This is really shoddy work. This is the kind of stuff that some of us refer to when we don't like the dealer doing our oil changes, etc.

IMG_0476.JPG
That hack job looks inexcusable, if they are doing this, they should use proper T-connectors?

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Holy crap, that looks like something I would do, I call it hillbilly engineering and I am that hillbilly. On the safety side I would not mind my brakes flashing a bit , I converted my bike to all led and the brake flashes 3 times then goes solid and flashes again if the brake light stays on for a time. It was all plug and play so even I could do it right.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_0476.JPG
That pic makes me cringe because I would do that before being properly taught. And these folks are supposed to be professionals. If they added these to every vehicle, they should have a proper pigtail made up for each model.

I like to make a proper pigtail/jumper with the correct connectors if at all possible. I have done that with all my bikes. That way it can be returned to stock condition and no splicing repairs are needed. Also if auxiliary lighting is done, like bed lights, it will have it's own circuit/fuse (and relay if needed).

I am wanting to add a flasher (and LED bulb) to the hi-lamp, but will try to find the part number of the connector (plug) to make a pigtail.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Is it just me or are there bare wires coming out of the connector of the yellow (orange?) wire that couples with the red positive wire? Looks like a scary short to ground possibility. I would not be happy with the dealer doing this to my truck.

OP
OP
dmeyer302

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me or are there bare wires coming out of the connector of the yellow (orange?) wire that couples with the red positive wire? Looks like a scary short to ground possibility. I would not be happy with the dealer doing this to my truck.
Yep that’s what you’re seeing.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A pulsing lamp does little to prevent rear-enders. Rear enders are caused by the driver behind NOT PAYING ATTENTION.....Those of us who ride bikes know this already

Examples.

If people cannot see a friggin school bus with all kinds of flashing lights, they won't see a little pulsing brake light

bus rear end.png

scoolbus.jpg

Car reaschoolbus.jpg

firetruck.jpg

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
A pulsing lamp does nothing to prevent rear-enders. Rear enders are caused by the driver behind NOT PAYING ATTENTION.....Those of us who ride bikes know this already

Examples.

If people cannot see a friggin school bus with all kinds of flashing lights, they won't see a pulsing brake light LOL

bus rear end.png

scoolbus.jpg

Car reaschoolbus.jpg

firetruck.jpg
I for one am glad the Ranger doesn't have those pulsing brake lights. For some reason I find them annoying. I was wondering whether or not it had it. Glad it doesn't in its stock form.

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
I would rather have the pulsing light then not, been riding bikes since I was 18 and have had my share of close calls. All 3 lights on the back of my bike pulse and serve as brake lights. Now for these idiots, you could have had a high school band out there playing the saints go marching in and they still would have rear ended the vehicle ahead. Part of my former job was teaching safe driving and following distance was my pet peeve, distracted driving was a close second. People just do not pay attention.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
What you are seeing is the red 12V+ input for the flasher connected to the 12V+ from the wire harness. The yellow is the 12V+ output from the flasher to the light. The black wire is the ground.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I for one am glad the Ranger doesn't have those pulsing brake lights. For some reason I find them annoying. I was wondering whether or not it had it. Glad it doesn't in its stock form.
I agree and disagree with you:LOL:. I like them and if they annoy you....they are doing thier job. But I hate the ones that continually pulse after the initial pattern and while you have the brake depressed.. Those are annoying to me. The brake lights on my Wing and the trailer I pull with it pulse....but only pulse for one pattern and becomes static unless I let off and reapply the brakes. And there is a certain pattern shown to be most effective. Fast pulses and then slow to static. The fast gets your attention and then it slowly pulses to static. I think the whole cycle lasts about 5 seconds. This is the flasher I use. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-controllers/brake-light-strobe-module/195/845/

Fortunately the Goldwing comes with alot of lights in the rear versus other models. Now if you wanna talk about the lights in the front....I have alot of them too!!:like:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmeyer302

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_0476.JPG
Time for an update. I asked my dealer to fix this, way back when I posted this originally. Fixing it isn't a problem for me, but I didn't want to let them off the hook. Not surprisingly, my salesman didn't give a flip since the truck was out the door. Well those award-winning connections came apart and I was finally forced to fix it myself. I took the pulsing module out and soldered the connections. Then I typed up an invoice and mailed it to the dealer for an hour of labor for fixing it. I was hoping to get their attention one way or another.

You'll never believe this...

They paid it!!! :crackup:
Sponsored