Pulled at around max capacity, ~1,800 miles

EastSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I was pretty much right at (maybe a smidge over) max capacity. 2,100 pound trailer, then around 5,500 for the tractor with the loader and backhoe. It towed fine, Illinois to California. Had the factory brake controller installed. On the wide open roads 70mph was comfy, 60mph on some of the biggest hills that I-80 had. 40mph for anyone that knows the Sherwin grade (Bishop to Mammoth).

All in I love this truck. Great mileage and super nimble in town and it was able to do a beast of a job pulling this thing around. The factory brake controller with the adapative cruise control (and tow mode) was great.

bigtow.jpg
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Factory suspension height?
Looks good with a load on it.

OP
OP
EastSide

EastSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Factory suspension height?
Looks good with a load on it.
Yeah, the only adjustment I've made since buying it is the brake controller. I tried to get the center of gravity for the tractor right over the axles (without it going too far off the back) and the trailer and my hitch both have adjustable heights. It was surprisingly comfy, as comfy as towing can be anyway.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I just had the FORD TBC installed. How did the adaptive cruise control work in tow mode? For some reason i thought it would be disabled in tow mode.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Any temp issues? Did you manually lock out any gears? Did you have it to the wood on that sherwin grade? What was your mpg towin that much? On 87 octane?

Wow many questions, Curiosity killed the cat. ?

OP
OP
EastSide

EastSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I just had the FORD TBC installed. How did the adaptive cruise control work in tow mode? For some reason i thought it would be disabled in tow mode.
Yeah I felt a little stupid giving it a go but with that many miles there were times I could try and it worked. When the hills showed up or I went through construction zones I went back to manual control but the car-spacing feature was probably better than what I could do.

OP
OP
EastSide

EastSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Any temp issues? Did you manually lock out any gears? Did you have it to the wood on that sherwin grade? What was your mpg towin that much? On 87 octane?

Wow many questions, Curiosity killed the cat. ?
No temp issues, although I could smell some hot metal of some type on the sherwin grade. The engine temps never went above 1/2 way even with the AC on and it being ~95F in Bishop.

I didn't even bother with the mpg. Gas is so cheap outside of California that I just went for it and tried to ignore the price tag. It was either tow myself or pay $3-$4 a mile for someone else.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I've been curious how the adaptive cruise control would work with towing. Did you have any situations where the adaptive braked hard and if so how did it handle?

Bullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I'm still a newbie with my Ranger.
I know this truck is capable, but that takes quite a 'set' to attempt that drive. Not that it couldn't (obviously) do it. I'm just used to driving an '05 F150 with 220,000 miles and lack of great compression. I'll get there eventually with little blue. Heck! I've just recently allowed my wife to eat a cookie in it :LOL:
Good to hear it's capable!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
What kind of great mileage with such a load?
I tow a little less than that, but with much more wind load and I get 10-13 on relatively flat roads in Michigan.

Did a similar tractor/flatbed with a blade and brush hog instead of a backhoe and it felt "bumpy" on my short trip, but not unmanageable. I've got the Fox shocks all the way around now, and waiting for a nice day to try (again) to install the sumo springs to decrease my squat in the rear. (I installed the fox 2.0" level, F-R rake is now 1.75-2" instead of 3+)
Sponsored