PSA For you folks that are removing / modifying the crash bars to install bigger tires.....

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
i still don't understand the connection to the warranty
a warranty involves parts not meeting the life expectancy the manufacturer assumed would be a standard.
a crash has zero to do with warranty items. and it would be very limited on what warranty items may be affected installing/removing crash bars. perhaps you can let me know which parts you think would be affected.
yes though, i agree liability take new ownership with a multitude of mods, just as i have suggested to anyone who personally removes their crash bars, lifts their truck or installs heavy steel bumpers.
The warranty itself isn't the issue it is the fact that ford is directly ordering the modification and selling it as a new fully backed and up to standard vehicle and the warranty is evidence of that

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
let me use my best bud Adam as an example.
If him and I was out for soda pops and foot long hot dogs, and on our way back to shoot pool in his basement we got in a wreck (lets not point fingers at this point, because we don't know all the details of the wreck), but yeah, Karen pulled a u turn at the worst possible time. The injuries sustained by me involved a broken ankle....I would sue his ass for everything. I would want him living in a cardboard box suffering immeasurable financial pain while I recovered and hopefully my obvious trauma and lifetime limp wouldn't hinder my abilities to be a world cup skiing champ. Our friendship suffers as well, and we are no longer buds.
Adam wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court (pun intended) he would simply have to concede guilt as he knowingly removed his crash bars, a known safety device. I never knew he changed his trucks dynamics, I never signed a waiver releasing him from liability. He has no data to supplement his claim that there's no risk to anyone. His anecdotes would mean nothing to a judge in the case, and I'm sure he has no money to do numerous crash tests on his own dime to tip the judicial scales in his favor.

So, those who are willing to take the risk on mods that alter the factory product, do so. it's your dime. your choice. your culpability.
just be kind, and if you offer me a ride, please let me know of the potential dangers I face so I can make an informed decision if I feel its safe to ride with you or not.
I'll concede that there isn't much out there laying the groundwork for this kind of lawsuit specifically, but you all aren't stupid...you know there's a first for everything.

one day a clear concise example of an offset crash without crash bars will present itself to us to create more fodder for discussion.
Good points...but if you jumped into my truck and believe it hasn't been altered in the slightest, the court would be questioning your sanity lol... ?

Last edited:

Dhass68

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Brake and Suspension mechanic

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
The warranty itself isn't the issue it is the fact that ford is directly ordering the modification and selling it as a new fully backed and up to standard vehicle and the warranty is evidence of that
I think you are missing part of the discussion and warranty has nothing to do with the crash worthiness of a vehicle. Models like the Ford Raptor are classified as a performance variant and do not undergo the same level of independent testing from NHTSA or IIHS. Although all vehicles still have to be certified to meet minimum government standards. Due to costs not every vehicle sold goes through testing, and IIHS buys the vehicles they test.

Does Ford explicitly state on the sticker that the Raptor has the anti-intrusion bars removed in order to get those larger tires in the wheel wells? No, but does the crash rating reflect that, Yes.

Are you going to pay a higher premium on a vehicle with a lower safety rating, Yes. There is a reason IIHS tests vehicles and it's not entirely altruistic to promote vehicle safety. They have a monetary interest.

If you remove the bars without informing your insurance, is it possible you could be denied coverage in the event the adjustor notes that they have been removed, Yes.

Is it possible you could get sued by a passenger, in todays litigious world, Yes.

Again, just make informed decisions and calculate your own risks. It's your truck, do what you want.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Every mod you make could/does affect your vehicles performance in a crash situation. What would that offset impact look like if the truck was leveled 3" in front? What impact do the aftermarket bumpers have on impacts? Could they transfer more of the impact to the passengers since they don't give? Would a bigger heavier tire increase stopping distance causing you to hit something you may have stopped in time for with the stock size/weight tire still on? Did you lose control pealing out because of the extra 50 HP from the performance tune? I don't think one Ranger on this Forum would pass a in depth review looking at every change from stock. We'd all get our insurance claims denied.

The safest thing to do is leave it the way it came from the factory but what's fun about that? There would be about 3 members on here if we did that.

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
In my accident the crash bars weren't involved.
But relying on the aluminum firewall to prevent injuries is probably wishful thinking.
I tried to salvage the Husky floor mat from the passenger side and couldn't remove it due to the firewall being crushed down on top of it.
20220124_171942.jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
In my accident the crash bars weren't involved.
But relying on the aluminum firewall to prevent injuries is probably wishful thinking.
I tried to salvage the Husky floor mat from the passenger side and couldn't remove it due to the firewall being crushed down on top of it.
20220124_171942.jpg
Details? Why did the bar not help anything?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
The impact was higher than the bar.
I realize that it's there to control the tire, but just wanted to point out that the firewall isn't much protection, unlike older vehicles.
So older vehicles are much safer and more structurally sound huh..

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
With the exception of posting my fun video above I'm staying out of this discussion at this point on account of 0 new information regarding the validity of Ranger forward intrusion beams.

RP, I reinstalled the passenger side ones so we can start going out for White Claws again.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
RP, I reinstalled the passenger side ones so we can start going out for White Claws again.

awesome....I tried the mango ones, and i got blackout drunk on three of them. wanna get a 6 pack with me?

You're like best buds now. Before you know it the two of you will be going camping together.:shock:o_O

M SPEC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 05 &10 Subaru STI, 911, LC +2
Occupation
ER Nurse/Nursing Instructor Retired
I just became aware of this issue because of this forum, so first off THANKS. I recently purchased a used 2021 Tremor from my dealership. While painting my brake calipers (actually my wife has always been our brake caliper painter) I noticed the square tube ending with just a bolt through it and didn't think much about it at the time...until now! Obviously the previously owner removed the crash bars in order to fit the 1" (approximately) wheel spacers which brings me to my two questions. Can the bars be replaced without removing fenders ( I saw in the instructions for the aftermarket one you cut the bars to remove them...so my guess is no not an easy replacement job. Question two: do the 1" spacers on stock wheels and tires necessitate the removal of the bars or is this a case of overkill?
I would appreciate any input members have on this issue......Thanks!
Sponsored