Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Have to pay extra.... that’s why all Canadians have a broken hockey stick in the garage
All this time, I thought that stick was only for clearing the snow blower chute - who knew?!

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not going down that damper road again, but seriously, only one letter difference in damper and diaper for a reason. I will be man enough to say I have one on my tailgate for convenience sake only of course, as I do have biceps.
However, the hood doesn't have dampers, it has struts....right? The struts don't help you lift the hood if you are weak, (as many on here are), but it just keeps the hood up, and you can't close it by letting it fall using it's own weight, so really, you are using strength to close it as well, thereby, it can't be called a damper in my humble opinion.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
If you aren't a damper user, either join the club, or get out of here! :crackup:

After installing my damper, I noticed the tailgate was no longer lined up when closed. I took it off and back on and off again, and still couldn't get it. Finally, I discovered it wasn't due to the damper at all. I simply had not used enough force to close the tailgate. So keep in mind, the damper is only for opening, and not closing.

The good news is the strength lost from the damper is regained by closing the tailgate with some umph!
@Bludrok - Perhaps this is because your dampener is installed upside down and somehow changes the geometry of the dampener closing? Found a pic of your install in your build thread.
2250E8D5-3490-4C0C-8916-BCB69F875E7F.png

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
@Bludrok - Perhaps this is because your dampener is installed upside down and somehow changes the geometry of the dampener closing? Found a pic of your install in your build thread.
Maybe, I will check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
So ... I changed it. Didn't make a difference, but I dont like how the cable goes with it like that. It looks to have a much higher chance of getting caught. So then I put it back.

Here is my proof: ?
20210525_141912.jpg

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
It's true the cable gets pinched (possibly) with the cylinder up. Not sure about cylinder down. One thing to look for on both installs if if the cable gets hung up on the mounting bracket on the gate. If it does, then there is a possibility of will kink.

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
It's true the cable gets pinched (possibly) with the cylinder up. Not sure about cylinder down. One thing to look for on both installs if if the cable gets hung up on the mounting bracket on the gate. If it does, then there is a possibility of will kink.
Nope, it doesn't because the cylinder isn't there to catch on.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Nope, it doesn't because the cylinder isn't there to catch on.
For clarity, you're saying cylinder up forces the cable to the right which then causes it to hang up on the bracket? Don't mean to be argumentative, but I think there may be a possibility the cable could still hang on the bracket with cylinder down since it's going to be tighter in that area.

But, I don't know, I haven't tested it myself. But, if it works for you, then you do you. :)

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
If It hangs, I will report back. I was saying i think there is enough clearance without the cylinder there that it won't hang.

I appreciate feedback either way. I am not one to think I know it all, or have all the answers. ?

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I'm not going down that damper road again, but seriously, only one letter difference in damper and diaper for a reason. I will be man enough to say I have one on my tailgate for convenience sake only of course, as I do have biceps.
However, the hood doesn't have dampers, it has struts....right? The struts don't help you lift the hood if you are weak, (as many on here are), but it just keeps the hood up, and you can't close it by letting it fall using it's own weight, so really, you are using strength to close it as well, thereby, it can't be called a damper in my humble opinion.
Exactly! I tried to convince Dave (@AzScorpion) the hood has struts (not dampers) but he was not buying it.
Sponsored