First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Field Engineer
I have recently acquired a 2019 Ranger Raptor. Its a wonderful vehicle. Since I am rather new to proper 4WD in general (or rather RWD), and the Raptor in particular I would love some insights into how to use it to its fullest, especially on smooth and semi-smooth curving dirt roads and snow-covered roads, both at relatively high speeds, ideally with some controlled drifting. I have read and re-read the user manual regarding driving modes, when to use 4HI 4LO etc. and the general gist I perceive is that one would go in RWD 95% of the time, and only use 4HI when very slippery, and then not really to improve traction in turns, but rather forward traction. That makes me wonder about the Grass/Gravel/Snow mode. Does anyone use it? For what speeds? Also the Baja mode seems interesting as the handling seems to improve somewhat and the automatic transmission gets more sporty. But I wonder why the manual recommends 4HI for Baja mode, as I thought high speed turns in 4HI are not really a good idea. It also seems there are multiple configurations for the Anti-spin (TCS) system, only available through the driving modes, such as "winter" for the Grass/Gravel/Snow mode, or Baja for the Baja mode. Does anyone find these TCS settings to significantly affect the handling of the car?

In general all sorts of insights and tips are very welcome! Thanks!

Here is a shot of the typical roads I go on. I have the BF goodrich all terrain. When snow arrives I will switch to Hakkapelita spiked tyres.
Bomvei_Sve_Raptor (2) (0;00;31;26).jpg
Sponsored

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Welcome!

I drive pretty similar roads here in neighboring country. That sort of road is pretty much RWD road on summers and 4WD HI on winters.

You can use 4WD HI on those roads also on summer, but the car just turns less and breaks the surface on tighter turns. On asphalt the road surface doesn't break, instead your tires or drivetrain will.

4WD low + diff lock you need in muddier conditions where the traction is far less. Like these..

DSC_0461.JPG

Diff lock you also need in situations where two of the wheels are in air or slipping. That just forces both wheels to rotate at same speed on the back.

For winter the Hakkapeliitta studded works wonders and from my personal feeling they're something like 700% better suited for snow and ice than the stock tires. Plus the use less gas, minus is that they stop working when there's enough snow...

I was able to drive similar road with 40cm snow with the stock tires. Never got down to the ground so it wen't just over the powdery snow.

Might wan't to check this for the 4WD explained.

This is pretty much the snow/ice test:

Drive modes I've not tried that much. Mud mode seems to take out the anti-slip and let's you roll the wheels with enough momentum that the mud between the grooves in the tire start to self clean and give your traction back.

OP
OP

TheWeaver

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Field Engineer
Welcome!

I drive pretty similar roads here in neighboring country. That sort of road is pretty much RWD road on summers and 4WD HI on winters.

You can use 4WD HI on those roads also on summer, but the car just turns less and breaks the surface on tighter turns. On asphalt the road surface doesn't break, instead your tires or drivetrain will.

4WD low + diff lock you need in muddier conditions where the traction is far less. Like these..

DSC_0461.JPG

Diff lock you also need in situations where two of the wheels are in air or slipping. That just forces both wheels to rotate at same speed on the back.

For winter the Hakkapeliitta studded works wonders and from my personal feeling they're something like 700% better suited for snow and ice than the stock tires. Plus the use less gas, minus is that they stop working when there's enough snow...

I was able to drive similar road with 40cm snow with the stock tires. Never got down to the ground so it wen't just over the powdery snow.

Might wan't to check this for the 4WD explained.

This is pretty much the snow/ice test:

Drive modes I've not tried that much. Mud mode seems to take out the anti-slip and let's you roll the wheels with enough momentum that the mud between the grooves in the tire start to self clean and give your traction back.
Thanks for sharing! That snow traction video is great stuff! I am gonna go out there and test stuff, will get back to this! Are you saying the stock tyres are better than the studded in deep snow?

OP
OP

TheWeaver

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Field Engineer
" Since I am rather new to proper 4WD in general (or rather RWD), and the Raptor in particular I would love some insights into how to use it to its fullest, especially on smooth and semi-smooth curving dirt roads and snow-covered roads, both at relatively high speeds, ideally with some controlled drifting. "

I cant wait for the pics and videos

fm8t031cbwalrsuxq6wh.gif
Yeah? I actually tried posting a video but there were limits on file size. I'll figure another way. In the meantime here is a shot of her doing some creek crossing ?
20210731_115653.jpg

20210731_223028.jpg

Ground clearance acceptable?

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Thanks for sharing! That snow traction video is great stuff! I am gonna go out there and test stuff, will get back to this! Are you saying the stock tyres are better than the studded in deep snow?
Yes, but only marginally and when it's deep enough that the pressure from the tire is not anymore compacting the snow against the road. This comes down to larger traction surface due to larger and deeper grooves on the stock tire over the Hakkapeliitta. For any plowed road, 10-20cm snow/slush or icy roads you'll get better results from the Hakkapeliitta.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Try to find an off-road group to join. Online or talk to the guys at the local off-road parts suppliers. Testing your limits is safer and more fun, when you know you can get home at the end of the day.

Slow and steady wins the race. Take your time, leave your pride at home. Use a spotter, get some recovery gear. Have fun, be safe, don't fret over breakages, post videos.

Youtube is your friend 4WD 24-7 is my favorite 4wd entertainment and education channel.

GreyThumper

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor, a BMW R1200GS, a BMW R1150R
One of the first things I did after I got my Raptor was take an off road class. You get a clearer idea of the capabilities of your vehicle, with the relative safety of controlled conditions and experienced intructors. Frankly, I got to try things with the Raptor that I wouldn't have tried on my own. It's amazingly competent even at slow rock crawling, which arguably, it's not mainly designed for.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Yeah? I actually tried posting a video but there were limits on file size. I'll figure another way. In the meantime here is a shot of her doing some creek crossing ?
20210731_115653.jpg

20210731_223028.jpg

Ground clearance acceptable?
Those boulders in the center of your last picture, look mean, maybe it's a good idea to invest in a rear diff protection if you would do this kind of terrain often.
Sponsored