Problems with apple carplay or something else

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have always thought when plugging in my iPhone XR sometimes would pull up carplay and sometimes it wouldn't. Thought it was me doing something wrong. It now seems it never works. Here is what I have done to try and figure it out.

1. Switched cables. Still doesn't work
2. Tried a whole variety of plug in steps changing the order in which I pulg things in - no hlpe.
3. Gone through all the settings and think it is set up the correct way.

The USB port sometimes charges the phone (and carplay does not come on) and sometimes it does not charge the phone.

So, what did I do or what do I do to get this feature back I mostly use the carplay feature to listen to iheart radio when the antenna reception is bad. I do realize I can connect via bluetooth but really want to understand why carplay is not working.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pikens

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Systems Admin
iPhone 11 pro here. I have found through some troubleshooting that if I wait for the system to start and then plug in my phone it seems to work almost everytime. I would randomly get issues if I plugged my phone in first and then started the truck. I could even unplug and plug it back in and it still wouldn't see the phone as plugged in but would work via bluetooth. Hope that helps.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iPhone 11 pro here. I have found through some troubleshooting that if I wait for the system to start and then plug in my phone it seems to work almost everytime. I would randomly get issues if I plugged my phone in first and then started the truck. I could even unplug and plug it back in and it still wouldn't see the phone as plugged in but would work via bluetooth. Hope that helps.
Tried that as well. Sometimes the cable shows that it is charging, and sometimes it doesn't. Rarely (like one in 100 tries) does carplay come up. What is going on here. Used to work 100% of the time flawlessly

Mark

Pikens

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Admin
Tried that as well. Sometimes the cable shows that it is charging, and sometimes it doesn't. Rarely (like one in 100 tries) does carplay come up. What is going on here. Used to work 100% of the time flawlessly

Mark
Hmm... Well I would say to double-check your carplay settings in your phone to ensure it is enabled.

I found some basic troubleshooting steps you can try:

• Toggle on Allow CarPlay While Locked in your iPhone’s CarPlay settings
  • Reset the infotainment system
  • Verify Siri is on or toggle Hey Siri off and back on
  • Use a different USB port or cable (or both)
  • Disable any Screen time restrictions on your iPhone
  • Check that both WiFi and Bluetooth are enabled under Settings > WiFi and Settings > Bluetooth
  • Toggle Bluetooth off and on or turn off Bluetooth entirely when in your vehicle
  • Delete old Bluetooth connections no longer used
  • Remove any vehicles from CarPlay settings that you no longer use or need
  • Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS
  • Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car’s manual for more information.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
So I am in the truck and carplay is on the truck screen. This has not happened in a long time.

Is there some setting somewhere I might have screwed up. This is driving me crazy. I had thought there was an actual app to download on the phone but can't find it anywhere. I can't even find anything carplay related on the phone

Am I going crazy?

Mark

Last edited:

Pikens

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Admin
It used to be called Carplay and was an app but they have changed it to settings. You can find it by searching carplay under settings.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Also make sure your charging port isn't clogged with pocket lint. I had horrible problems getting my phone (Android phone with USB-C interface) to connect to the truck until I used a straight pin and a flashlight and dug out the pocket lint. That allows the cable to seat fully and get a reliable data connection (let alone power).
Sponsored