First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
When filling up my truck with gasoline the auto shutoff to the nozzle at pump does not shut off once the tank reaches full capacity. Instead it keeps on pumping gas and floods the side of my truck! Anyone else have this issue??
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I tend to have the opposite problem.
Mine shuts off too early and I have to play with it to get it to completely fill.
Sometimes I can add an extra 2 gallons to the tank (I know its in the filler neck) after it shuts off.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
When filling up my truck with gasoline the auto shutoff to the nozzle at pump does not shut off once the tank reaches full capacity. Instead it keeps on pumping gas and floods the side of my truck! Anyone else have this issue??
No, I haven't had that problem.

Does it happen every time or sometimes or rarely? Are you using the same pump when this happens or even the same gas station? Do you have to hold the pump when filling? If this happens using the same pump or station, I would see if it occurs at other stations. If it does, then you need to take it to the dealer for warranty service.

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Can't say I've ever had this issue. Do you always fuel at the same station? That might be the problem.
When I first the title to your post I thought you were gonna say the auto shut-off kept shutting off before it was done fueling. My mom had a 2013 Escape that always had this problem. It would fuel for maybe two seconds and shutoff. Costco was the worst but she had it other stations too. We always attributed it to the Capless Easy Fuel.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience this has more to do with the pump then it has to do with the vehicle. Unless you do have an older vehicle with a stopped up vent tube that can make the pump click off quite a bit. But if it overflows without stopping that’s the pump but not your truck.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Can't say I've ever had this issue. Do you always fuel at the same station? That might be the problem.
When I first the title to your post I thought you were gonna say the auto shut-off kept shutting off before it was done fueling. My mom had a 2013 Escape that always had this problem. It would fuel for maybe two seconds and shutoff. Costco was the worst but she had it other stations too. We always attributed it to the Capless Easy Fuel.
Fuel inlet hose just above the tank was probably collapsed or crimped.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
In my experience this has more to do with the pump then it has to do with the vehicle. Unless you do have an older vehicle with a stopped up vent tube that can make the pump click off quite a bit. But if it overflows without stopping that’s the pump but not your truck.
The vent tube on the pump nozzle can clog and make it hair trigger. try putting the nozzle in only 1/3 of the way and/or use the middle detent instead of wide open.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
As others have said it’s the pump. If it isn’t the pump it’s the user.
There are a lot of factors you didn’t say so it’s a stab in the dark.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
My wife's Jeep Wrangler did that. We went to a couple different pumps... did the same thing at each pump.

Turns out there was an issue with the charcoal canister that the gas vapors vent through as the tank was filling up. Took it back to the dealership and they fixed it.

All modern fuel systems have a gas vent via a canister. Might be what yours is doing also.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Michelle,

Yep....happened to me once when the truck was brand new. I was mystified as this is totally unacceptable to Ford. So next time I when to a different pump...no problem. I even crawled under the truck with a flashlight and inspected for a kinked vent or some other assembly problem...Nope...all was well.... Then noticed the suspected pump had a new nozzle with a different color protective rubber bumper.....It was the pump handle...not the truck....

What I would recommend is to have the dealer inspect for a problem before your next fill up and to also select a different pump at the same station if you can do so...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
Hi Michelle,

Yep....happened to me once when the truck was brand new. I was mystified as this is totally unacceptable to Ford. So next time I when to a different pump...no problem. I even crawled under the truck with a flashlight and inspected for a kinked vent or some other assembly problem...Nope...all was well.... Then noticed the suspected pump had a new nozzle with a different color protective rubber bumper.....It was the pump handle...not the truck....

What I would recommend is to have the dealer inspect for a problem before your next fill up and to also select a different pump at the same station if you can do so...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thank you so much!
Sponsored