Premium fuel?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
One more new guy question. Reading the manual for my new truck (hit 150 miles today) I see that Ford recommends premium fuel for hard use, etc. When I’m driving in 85 degree heat, I’m feeling a bit of rumbling that reminds me of an old Miata running on the knock sensor. I still have 3/4 of the dealer’s full tank of regular unleaded, but intend to fill with 93 octane when it gets to 1/2 tank., just to see if there is any difference. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of opinions here but I go with 93 Premium Shell or BP.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
One more new guy question. Reading the manual for my new truck (hit 150 miles today) I see that Ford recommends premium fuel for hard use, etc. When I’m driving in 85 degree heat, I’m feeling a bit of rumbling that reminds me of an old Miata running on the knock sensor. I still have 3/4 of the dealer’s full tank of regular unleaded, but intend to fill with 93 octane when it gets to 1/2 tank., just to see if there is any difference. Has anyone else experienced this?
Welcome new guy.

Let's re-read the owners manual:

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended." <-- (notice that period at the end of the sentence)​
It then says it's most noticeable in hot weather and towing a trailer.​

Who wouldn't want best overall vehicle and engine performance?

The more you read and learn about these direct injected turbocharged 4 bangers.... the more you come to realize the benefits of using top tier fuel with at least 91 Octane. Without 91 Octane the computer has to work it's magic, making changes, and all of those changes are detrimental to performance.

At just over 7,100 miles our FX4 SuperCab is averaging over 25 mpg ... always on 91 octane or better.

Page 140 and 141 87 - 91 Octane.jpg

Last edited:

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Nothing but 93 in mine. Small price to pay to help the engine and get better performance.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
It seems like there might be some sort of a consensus here, LOL. I need to burn off some fuel so I can fill up with the good stuff. Some high-compression engines tolerate low-octane fuels better than others. I‘m accustomed to buying premium for the BMWs, so this is nothing new. Thanks for the input. It’s what I suspected.

stevensc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired seller of Sugar Cane Equipment
I use 87 octane. usually from the station at Walmart. The truck runs fine (as did the Tacoma before it) in my opinion
I don't push it, most of my driving is on rural roads. I have towed my 17' Boston Whaler again no problem. The last couple of months have been very hot so have been running the A/C with no problems even while towing the Whaler. I am in South Louisiana so no hills or mountains!
Steve W

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
When I had my truck at first i was running 87. When i read the manual I decided to go with 91 to see what would happen. To say the least I was impressed!! I got better response and power!! I also got better MPG(1-2 at best)!!! If you ask me it is well worth the price difference to go to premium fuel!!

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
After dealers fill up when I picked up new truck, went with Shell 93 and will keep using it. Higher than hell temps in Florida = higher octane.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I usually fill up with 87 because under $30 a tank. it drives great with it and still average 22.3MPG. every now and then I do fill up with the good stuff when towing or hauling heavy things and it helps. I'm used to cars and trucks driving on premium only. my last 4 cars were premium only or they ran horrible. It's nice to not sell my arms or legs to take a trip so I'm enjoying that now

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
First; ok yes I know that feel. I had both from 10/15-5/16
Screenshot_20200709-223654_Gallery.jpg

To answer the real question:
For what it's worth, I've filled mine up with 93 every time, minus three fill-ups I did for research purposes. The car I sold and previously drove before my '19 required 91, so in my experience, the added fuel cost is unnoticeable.
During the three times I ran 87 (two times back to back and once independently) I tried my best to drive the same style. On all three tanks I got an average of 1.3mpg less, slower throttle response and harsher transmission shifting. Personally, I think the extra $10 a fill-up over 87 is worth it. Still gets pretty great mpg for a truck this size anyway. If that's what it takes to keep it running more efficient and cooler, I have no problem with it.
Sidenote: it's been 100° in Houston for the last three weeks. The remote start is an absolute lifesaver.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I am coming up on one year's ownership, with the first six months filling up with 87 and the rest, until now, with 93. I started out trying to save money on gas, but after reading the manual and following the debate on this forum, I decided to upgrade in order to get that "... best overall vehicle and engine performance...." The truck runs great. I am only getting 19.0 MPG, but I blame that on the leveling lift, Sport mode, and the fact that I really like punching the turbo.... When the Ford Performance Tune arrives, the performance will no doubt get even better--the MPG, not so much!

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Considering the 10:1 compression ratio and turbo, I'm impressed at the engineering that went into the motor to enable it to take 87 octane at all. I never notice any alarming issues when I used it but in town, stop and go driving wasn't satisfying at all, especially considering my investment in the truck. I'd add that I sprung for ethanol-free 87 once - it was about as expensive as premium - and I'm pretty sure the truck ran really well.

93 octane is expensive and I wanted to justify it, perhaps if gas mileage improved enough to make up for the cost - but it doesn't. 91 would be ideal according to Ford, but the only station I found with it is out of the way, 89 is the more common mid grade. 93-94 are expensive and while the performance is rewarding, it doesn't make financial sense for me.

I too am in South Florida, heat and humidity are ever present. 89 actually runs well, the slight mileage increase still doesn't quite offset the per gallon cost but it's my primary compromise. I bought the SCT/BDX tuner and pestered Torrie at Unleashed Tuning to build me an 89 octane tune while eliminating the auto-start and lifting the speed limiter (admittedly the stock tuner will let you install a canned tune for 87 plus those options but after Doc's glowing review I spent extra) and right now I get really impressive performance on mid grade, the bonus being improvement in the transmission shifting not being so annoying. I wish I could say the gas mileage got better but haven't been able to verify the difference since I can't keep my foot from mashing the accelerator 'randomly.'

I'd live to get custom metal badges to attach to the gas door in case I ever loan the truck to a trusted family/friend that says something like 'This vehicle has been custom engineered to use Minimum 89 Octane Fuel.' Without the tune 88 octane 15% ethanol let the truck act different under boost but the gas mileage dropped immediately. If I get the urge I may spring for the 94 octane/88 again one day on the tune, but it won't be for saving money.

Last edited:

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you're towing or pulling hard, premium is best for performance & heavy loads where boost comes into play. It will run on 87, just not as well. With premium, the fuel economy is typically better (2-3 mpg), more power is available & it will be happier in general.
Sponsored