First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
We were going home today from a camping trip towing our Tab 400. I had the cruise engaged with the trailer tow system on as well. All was going really well when we met a white 18 wheeler on this two lane road. The truck was not crowding the center line so I had no reason to expect anything. The Pre-collision system freaks out and disables the cruise and the tow system. I also noticed a reduction in power for the remainder of the trip. The little wrench appeared on the gauge cluster with the note “See Service Manual” of which the owner does not have. After we got home and let the truck set for about 30 minutes I started it up and all is well now and the little wrench is gone. Next towing adventure I will remember to shut the Pre-Collision system off which should hopefully cure this issue. I have noticed more than once that the Pre-collision system will give false alarms too. Not sure it is a good system to have since I have had it actually give a warning and apply brakes for no legitimate reason.

Really like the transmission program for towing though. It uses all the gears really well and will shift down to help slow the vehicle on declines, at least until the Pre-collision system freaks out and disables everything.

6AD87296-623F-4742-A620-98BB0B86AE33.jpeg
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

That's an interesting occurrence. I've had the collision assist go off a handful of times, always warranted, and it's never gotten into the braking part of the mode since I'm usually aware and react right as, or very shortly after, the alarm goes off. I've even had it go off while towing a couple of times, again always warranted. But the system didn't freak out, disable the tow mode, or give me the "Powertrain Issue" wrench. Sounds like maybe you have some weird settings or an issue with your programming.