Power outlet issues

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Have a strange one. My ranger ac power outlet doesn’t seem to like usb c wall chargers. When plugged into a device - power to the device seems to cycle on and off repeatedly. The outlet itself maintains power. It seems to be the charger is trying to figure out current and it’s turning on and off repeatedly. It eventually settles down and charges as expected but not before 10 or so on / off power cycles. As I mentioned, the power outlet seems perfectly operational and the wall charger I am using works perfectly in other vehicles - like my explorer - and inside my house. I’ve also observed this behavior across multiple brands of chargers / cables - including Apple oem.

any ideas what might be going on?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it might be related to my model of phone. It does it on both mine and my sons iPhone 13 but not on my wife’s iPhone 12 or any of our other Apple devices. It’s just so strange that this does not occur in my other ford vehicle.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Unfortunately the AC plug doesnt put much power out so some deviced wont work off of it. If I remember correctly its 150 watts wich is only 1.5 amps at best. A pain but it is what it is.

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately the AC plug doesnt put much power out so some deviced wont work off of it. If I remember correctly its 150 watts wich is only 1.5 amps at best. A pain but it is what it is.
That’s true. But this is a cell phone charger and it draws very little. Either way I likely won’t be relying on this very often going forward.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Again it just depends. Some wall chargers for cell phones will pull quite a bit. Others may not. My jump pack from Harbor Freight would charge just fine off of it but I cant speak for much else since I used the cig ports for charging the phones.

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya. This is really a weird one. It works just fine on certain devices. Perhaps my newer phone draws more than my wife’s older phone.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
some new phones can pull a LOT of watts comparatively speaking. and some of the usb-c chargers are hungry to accomodate. I have an Anker 2-port usb-c international charging block I bought for my europe vacation, and that thing draws 60w. and some go quite a bit higher. IIRC, Apple has some that are super power-hungry to feed the fast charging mode.

It may be that the block is trying to figure out how much juice it can feed to whatever device is plugged in.

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that’s it. I’m using an anker nano 20w fast charger trying to feed an iPhone 13 Pro. It’s almost seems confused about what it’s trying to do. Eventually it does figure it out - also seems to help if I plug into an older device first and then immediately into my phone.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I believe this Ranger 120V outlet is not pure sinewave but modified sinewave... Sort of a square wave. Might have something to do with this anomaly...

Best,
Phil

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity - what color should the LED light be? Mine shows solid Amber. However the LED on the outlet on my Explorer is solid green.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Out of curiosity - what color should the LED light be? Mine shows solid Amber. However the LED on the outlet on my Explorer is solid green.
Depends on what the manufacturer chose for the vehicle. If i remember correctly my 2019 had an amber light but it has been a while

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Folks,

I believe this Ranger 120V outlet is not pure sinewave but modified sinewave... Sort of a square wave. Might have something to do with this anomaly...

Best,
Phil
Phil nailed it. Some devices are more sensitive than others.
Sponsored