Potential issues with lifting/leveling the front end?

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
From what I know there are 2 ways to lift/level a vehicle with factory length struts.

#1. A longer spring or a spring preload collar. This effectively takes up the up the top-out travel to raise the height but maintains the overall stroke travel of the shock. Over rough terrain you risk toppling out the suspension more, since you have less travel when your wheel falls into a hole or you bounce over a big rock and the front wheel comes off the ground.

#2. Strut spacer. This is just a spacer on top of the strut which keeps the same up and down travel (and overall stroke) as before, just moves it down relative to the truck body. Since itā€™s just a spacer to raise the truck it will allow the suspension to drop down more than before, i.e. when the suspension tops out the wheel will drop down more than before. And more than it was designed to.

Iā€™ve done both on an older Escape which caused problems. The primary issue is the angle of the CV joints are increased which isnā€™t good for their life. This is more of a problem with the strut spacer since they allow the wheel to extend down more. But in both cases the truck is riding higher so the CV joints are at a greater angle. I had a 1ā€ strut spacer in my Escape which took out 2 CV joints. That was primary front wheel drive so maybe itā€™s not as big an issue with a truck thatā€™s primary rear wheel drive? The longer spring didnā€™t seem harm the CV joint but it was very annoying to have the suspension top out all the time driving on rough roads. It was also very noisy when it did.

So what long term effects are there to leveling a Ranger with a 2ā€ front end lift? I think thatā€™s the lowest they have right now. Whatā€™s the best way to go, collar or spacer?
Sponsored

OP
OP
T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you guys are lifting your trucks and no one knows about this?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I went with Eibach Pro Lift...super happy with them...over 10 thousand miles so far. Milage will drop due to fat tires and lifted front causing diminished aero...

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
your post is why I went with BDS's 3.5" kit, yes its higher, but it includes a diff drop to correct CV geometry.

OP
OP
T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
your post is why I went with BDS's 3.5" kit, yes its higher, but it includes a diff drop to correct CV geometry.
I'm not sure how you drop the differential but this is what their website says: Finishing out the front of these 3.5" systems is a small differential relocation to help further improve CV axle operating angle. Can someone explain how this is even possible?

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure how you drop the differential but this is what their website says: Finishing out the front of these 3.5" systems is a small differential relocation to help further improve CV axle operating angle. Can someone explain how this is even possible?
By physically cutting off the differential mounts and installing new lower mounts.

OP
OP
T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BDS uses a combination of strut spacers and spring collars on the 2" kit as they recognize this problem -

The issue with most other kits is they increase the overall length of the strut assembly maxing out ball joints and causing the CV shaft/boot to operate at an extreme angle leading to premature wear/failure of the components. To get around this apparent issue the BDS kit uses a 2-piece design with a smaller top mounted steel strut spacer in combination with a preload spacer.

So what they have is a compromise. With this you'll lose less top out travel and have less suspension drop than either option by itself. So I guess the answer to my question of which is best for a 2" lift is both.

I wonder how tall the strut or preload spacers are (1'?) and if they will sell them separate for those who want less than a 2" lift. Strut spacers are easy to install, preload not so much so that decision is easy.

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Vehicle Showcase
This for all the reasons stated most importantly the diff relocation to correct the geometry. I haven't flexed the suspension very much yet but after 2500 miles I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
The diff relocation drops the differential down to stay on the same level as the tires so cv angle stays the same. Common on all IFS front ends. Look at lifted Chevys and F-150ā€™s, they look kinda funny up front cause the diff stays so low.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
It's more of a "calculated risk" rather than just pure ignorance. I have a Daystar 2 inch level and Eibach 1 inch blocks in the rear. Looking forward to see if a company comes out with a front differential drop kit, to get the halfshafts back to level. With a 2 inch level, they are not that badly far out of stock geometry though. No issues after 5,000 miles with Load range E 32's. I like the stance and ride much more now compared to how it was stock.

What will be interesting to see is what will be available in the coming year(s) for a long arm/long travel suspension kits.

Last edited:

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Of course some of us know about this but these 2-3ā€ lifts arenā€™t enough to cause immediate issues. It wonā€™t be too long before CVs are readily available and theyā€™re not expensive enough for me to care. If they only last 20k miles with my current geometry then thatā€™s fine, Iā€™ll buy and install a new set while I drink some beer in my garage. Not really a concern for me.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Of course some of us know about this but these 2-3ā€ lifts arenā€™t enough to cause immediate issues. It wonā€™t be too long before CVs are readily available and theyā€™re not expensive enough for me to care. If they only last 20k miles with my current geometry then thatā€™s fine, Iā€™ll buy and install a new set while I drink some beer in my garage. Not really a concern for me.
Hi Tyler,

I just shuddered when I saw that the frame mount for front diff was cut off and brackets were bolted to the frame... That said, I am way too old to be changing out my own CVs more than once in the life of the vehicle...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if it's not as big an issue since trucks are rear wheel drive, the the CV joints are not under stress most of the time like a front wheel drive (my old Escape).

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if it's not as big an issue since trucks are rear wheel drive, the the CV joints are not under stress most of the time like a front wheel drive (my old Escape).
??
Sponsored