Pop ups

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Is it just me, or has anyone else started getting TONS of pop up ads?
Very annoying, scroll, delete, scroll, delete.
Not just a few, I'm deleteing a couple each page I read...
Sponsored

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Use Ghostery.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I use AdGuard for IOS with my IPad and it works on this site and most others. It’s not 100% on YouTube but it gets most of them.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x2
I don't get any pop-ups in the traditional sense, just the standard embedded google tracking crap ads that are more or less unavoidable on forums (or the web at large.) The bottom corner video embedded stuff is the most annoying.

My guess is that there'd be no Ranger 5G without them, so I'll just x it out if it bugs me. For a while on mine it was showing a German ad for the 6G Ranger, which at least didn't feel too out of place.

I assume that there are ad blockers that can filter that stuff out, but honestly the ads bug me less than having some random 3rd party program or browser extension running all the time.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
….but honestly the ads bug me less than having some random 3rd party program or browser extension running all the time.
I’m an IPad user and ads cause most websites to load slowly, so I block what I can.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I use that plus - an extremely powerful nuclear option called NoScript.

PC based web browsers only. For those that use a tablet or phone, well your options are limited because the entire ecosystem of those was designed to invade your privacy, collect your data, feed you ads, and monetize you. ?

With Noscript I control all the extra programs that websites run and limit them to the ones that are useful to me. You would NOT believe the crap that some web sites are running.

Noscript.jpg

Example from one of the worse pages. Almost 30 scripts dragging it down. Program from tastelesstrucks.com? Never been there and this is a web site about mixed martial arts hahah.

Once you disable all the extra crap that tries to run on a web page, Overlays that pop up over content you're trying to look at are gone, automatic playing videos stop playing, Those kind of videos that relocate to the corner and hang over your web page stop, animations are gone, sounds are gone. Basically all distractions stop.

The down side - and why I call this the nuclear option - some web pages suddenly break and they don't work right until you strategically unbreak them by allowing specific scripts. It does take a little patience to set up initially. But once you do, Noscript remembers and you will never have to fix them again.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I don't get on phone, just my laptop.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Is it just me, or has anyone else started getting TONS of pop up ads?
Very annoying, scroll, delete, scroll, delete.
Not just a few, I'm deleteing a couple each page I read...
So....to resurrect an old thread...all of a sudden I'm getting these damned ads in the bottom corner of my phone whenever I click on an individual thread. I've changed no settings on my phone and am very particular what I do click on when it comes to reading things on here. Hell, I don't even shop from my phone!
Why all of a sudden do they pop up in the corner?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So....to resurrect an old thread...all of a sudden I'm getting these damned ads in the bottom corner of my phone whenever I click on an individual thread. I've changed no settings on my phone and am very particular what I do click on when it comes to reading things on here. Hell, I don't even shop from my phone!
Why all of a sudden do they pop up in the corner?
Just a thought but are you updated with the latest software update? I know there's several pop up blockers like the one Rob mentioned in post #5 if you have an iPhone. I use my laptop and I rarely use my phone to post or do much online. I find it's to hard to scroll and see on that smaller screen.
Sponsored