Polishing questions

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Hey everyone. After much deliberation, I've decided that I am going to save myself $1500 plus and ceramic coat my Ranger on my own. I've been going over all the steps about cleaning, decontaminating, clay bar, and etc. before actually applying the ceramic coating. However, the biggest questions I have regard the polishing process.

I will inspect my paint more closely after my next wash, but last I checked, it is not going to need a lot of paint correction. As a result, I've decided that I will use Menzerna 3500. The one subject that I can't find very good info on though, is what surfaces should I polish and what surfaces should be protected from the polishing process or from getting any polishing material on?

Obviously you want to polish the paint. But what about the bumpers? Is it safe for the fender badges to get polish on them or should they be taped off? After all some of those badges are painted around the perimeter. What about the rear fender stickers? Are the matte black roof rails safe to get polish on or should they be taped off? What about the metallic paint on the grill bezel? I assume the door handles should be taped. Should the rubber window molding be taped off? Is it safe for the polisher to go over the side parking lights?

It's funny, but all the searches I've made on the internet no matter how I word or phrase it, just don't discuss this topic much. Any info, insight, or tips would be much appreciated!
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hey everyone. After much deliberation, I've decided that I am going to save myself $1500 plus and ceramic coat my Ranger on my own. I've been going over all the steps about cleaning, decontaminating, clay bar, and etc. before actually applying the ceramic coating. However, the biggest questions I have regard the polishing process.

I will inspect my paint more closely after my next wash, but last I checked, it is not going to need a lot of paint correction. As a result, I've decided that I will use Menzerna 3500. The one subject that I can't find very good info on though, is what surfaces should I polish and what surfaces should be protected from the polishing process or from getting any polishing material on?

Obviously you want to polish the paint. But what about the bumpers? Is it safe for the fender badges to get polish on them or should they be taped off? After all some of those badges are painted around the perimeter. What about the rear fender stickers? Are the matte black roof rails safe to get polish on or should they be taped off? What about the metallic paint on the grill bezel? I assume the door handles should be taped. Should the rubber window molding be taped off? Is it safe for the polisher to go over the side parking lights?

It's funny, but all the searches I've made on the internet no matter how I word or phrase it, just don't discuss this topic much. Any info, insight, or tips would be much appreciated!
I went through all the stuff you've mentioned about a month ago on my Ranger. Wash, clay bar, polish, install PPF, install ceramic coating. I also used Menzerna, and was very happy with how it turned out. I did not bother taping off any part of the truck during the polishing process, and there were no marks left on any of the non-painted surfaces I may have touched with the polisher - with one small exception: there were some small discolorations on the bed caps where the polish was worked into the plastic just a bit, but that came out pretty easily with some IPA solution, a microfiber towel, and some elbow grease. I found that I didn't need to do much polishing, either. I went over the whole truck once with a polishing pad, and went back over a few small areas with a slightly more aggressive pad, then again with the polishing pad where there were still tiny micro scratches in the paint. All in all, the whole process took most of 3 days (but a lot of time was spent on the PPF, as it was my first time ever doing it and that stuff is pretty tricky) but I'm really, really happy with the results.

I filmed the whole process, and am working on editing it all down into a shortish video I'll put up on my YT channel as soon as it's ready. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have as you prepare to do your truck.

Good luck!

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase

I wouldn’t bother taping anything off, just try not to get polish on matte finished areas and definitely avoid rubber and plastic. I also went light with the polish around my FX4 bed decals. I did a hand polish around the fender vents and other badges so I wasn’t hitting them with a buffer pad. You could polish your parking lights and other lenses, but I’d be afraid that you’re gonna get polish into areas where the body and lenses meet and you’ll have a mess to clean up. I personally didn’t polish my plastic lenses, but my truck was 3 or 4 months old when I coated it.
Make sure to do the diluted IPA wipe down as you don’t want any residue left from your polish on the body. If you miss this step, your coating won’t last as long. It will also remove any polish that gets in your roof rails and fender vents.
Which coating did you choose? I went with Armor Shield IX and it turned out great! Good luck!

78BA9B72-6930-4E92-81A2-052A089BB584.jpeg

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I also installed the protective film to my truck like quangdog. It was definitely tough to install, and I even install vinyl film and wall graphics for a living, but it turned out good and it’s better than getting hundreds of rock chips on the front end.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Which coating did you choose? I went with Armor Shield IX and it turned out great!
+1 for Armor Shield IX. That's what I used as well, and the way water beads off it now is amazing.

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for Armor Shield IX. That's what I used as well, and the way water beads off it now is amazing.
It really is a great product. I coated my truck around Thanksgiving and it still sheds water like crazy. The truck is also always outdoors, but the coating is still going strong. I have used Shine Armor as a topper a few times. That’s also ridiculously easy to use and worth checking out

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I went through all the stuff you've mentioned about a month ago on my Ranger. Wash, clay bar, polish, install PPF, install ceramic coating. I also used Menzerna, and was very happy with how it turned out. I did not bother taping off any part of the truck during the polishing process, and there were no marks left on any of the non-painted surfaces I may have touched with the polisher - with one small exception: there were some small discolorations on the bed caps where the polish was worked into the plastic just a bit, but that came out pretty easily with some IPA solution, a microfiber towel, and some elbow grease. I found that I didn't need to do much polishing, either. I went over the whole truck once with a polishing pad, and went back over a few small areas with a slightly more aggressive pad, then again with the polishing pad where there were still tiny micro scratches in the paint. All in all, the whole process took most of 3 days (but a lot of time was spent on the PPF, as it was my first time ever doing it and that stuff is pretty tricky) but I'm really, really happy with the results.

I filmed the whole process, and am working on editing it all down into a shortish video I'll put up on my YT channel as soon as it's ready. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have as you prepare to do your truck.

Good luck!
I wouldn’t bother taping anything off, just try not to get polish on matte finished areas and definitely avoid rubber and plastic. I also went light with the polish around my FX4 bed decals. I did a hand polish around the fender vents and other badges so I wasn’t hitting them with a buffer pad. You could polish your parking lights and other lenses, but I’d be afraid that you’re gonna get polish into areas where the body and lenses meet and you’ll have a mess to clean up. I personally didn’t polish my plastic lenses, but my truck was 3 or 4 months old when I coated it.
Make sure to do the diluted IPA wipe down as you don’t want any residue left from your polish on the body. If you miss this step, your coating won’t last as long. It will also remove any polish that gets in your roof rails and fender vents.
Which coating did you choose? I went with Armor Shield IX and it turned out great! Good luck!
Thanks guys. Yes, I plan on following all the steps including the IPA wipe down. I believe there is an iron and fallout spray step in there before the polish as well.

No taping at all, huh? I would have thought door handles for sure. So what I gather is that you did not polish any painted plastic such as the grill bezel and painted trim on the badges. Did you polish the fender trim and paint on the bumpers?

I haven't purchased all my supplies yet. Currently, I'm looking hard at Kamikaze ISM for the ceramic coat.

I'm also planning to have the bed spray lined, so I'm thinking I should get that done first while I round up my supplies and get my game plan together.

Last edited:

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I just steered clear of the door handles with the polisher and hit the painted fender trim by hand. I also did the bumpers by hand as I didn’t want to be ham fisted with a polisher around my parking sensors. Nothing would bug me more than white, dried on polish crust around them. I’d just hit the body panels with the machine and get the smaller painted stuff by hand. Installing the coating is the easy part. The prep is the pain.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Installing the coating is the easy part. The prep is the pain.
+100 for this. Prep took forever. Actually coating the entire truck did not take all that long at all.
Sponsored