rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
Are they embedded in the surface of the glass? I can’t feel any edge with my fingernails.

Never mind. Found some descriptions on Wikipedia and elsewhere. Melted into the surface of the glass. Very cool. Not going to peel off of the glass when I remove the EZ-Pass adhesive.
yep baked in ... fused with the glass more or less

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I don't commute daily where it's needed that often, but when needed, I just set it in the tray on the dash, have had no issues with it getting read
This is the simplest solution, and the best, at least for people like me, who won't be using it very often, only a few times a year during local vacation trips.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Wow, the EZ-Pass is huge. The K-Tag is just a tiny sticker.
20201128_111341.jpg

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Wow, the EZ-Pass is huge. The K-Tag is just a tiny sticker.
The previous version was more than twice the size of the current transponder. Battery density is increasing, so service life is still 8-10 years. The K-Tag must use a different technology.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The previous version was more than twice the size of the current transponder. Battery density is increasing, so service life is still 8-10 years. The K-Tag must use a different technology.
Typically and RFID, like the EZ Pass, needs no power, the RF field it passes through is enough to power the device. I suspect the EZ Pass only has a battery to allow faster reading, if you stopped and waited it would probably work without a battery at all. At the very least the field could trigger a smaller RFID that then turns on the battery power to send a signal.

RFIDs are getting super small, and the range is increasing. It won't be long before you could have one the size of a grain of rice that would have a decent range. Imagine that in the next Bond movie, someone eats a piece of fake rice and Bond tracks them with his watch.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Typically and RFID, like the EZ Pass, needs no power, the RF field it passes through is enough to power the device. I suspect the EZ Pass only has a battery to allow faster reading, if you stopped and waited it would probably work without a battery at all. At the very least the field could trigger a smaller RFID that then turns on the battery power to send a signal.

RFIDs are getting super small, and the range is increasing. It won't be long before you could have one the size of a grain of rice that would have a decent range. Imagine that in the next Bond movie, someone eats a piece of fake rice and Bond tracks them with his watch.
We have a slowly-increasing number of high-speed toll stations, where you drive through at 65 MPH instead of the older 25 MPH installations. I never thought of it before, but this may have something to do with the battery-powered transponders.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
This is where my EZ-Tag for Texas Tolls is located. Zero issues and out of view. It’s just a sticker, not a giant box like the one in the pic. I can zip through the fast lane doing 65 no problem.
Never a problem

51C9D156-26E0-4E3C-A5F6-19AB0CFBC9C4.jpeg

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I've always placed my FasTrak toll tags to the upper left of the rearview mirror in my trucks and the Ranger is no exception. Never had any issues with the frit, even when removing them.

IMG_5464.jpeg

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
For those of you who use E-ZPass, where have you placed your windshield transponder? It obviously can't be located above the mirror. There is some sort of visual screening built into the windshield around the mirror. Will this cause interference with the transponder? I would love to see some pictures of your installation. Thanks.
I leave mine in that little tray on top of the dash. Never had a problem with it.
Sponsored