MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Will a ford performance tune void the warranty. I just dropped off my truck to have it looked at for the gas in the oil issue. I did put it back in stock mode before I took it to them.
[/QUOTE
It will definitely not void the warranty, so long as you have a Ford Dealer or certified technician do the installation work.
Sponsored

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Will a ford performance tune void the warranty. I just dropped off my truck to have it looked at for the gas in the oil issue. I did put it back in stock mode before I took it to them.
Basically the way I understand it (someone correct me if im wrong) is that you still maintain your vehicles factory warranty as long as the tune didn't cause the damage. However, if the FPP tune IS at fault of damaging something it will be covered as long as you're within 3 years/36,000 miles. Whereas with other tuners if the tune is the fault of damage you are SOL (unless you buy 5star's own warranty). Hope this helps.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I think it is always safe to return to stock tune before taking the vehicle in for anything beyond an oil change.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Well I better hope that they don't check.. I've been installing tunes for years on my Shelby and this is such a simple tune to install just another way for them to make some money. Oh well!
It's ridiculous how much Ford wants to just flash a tune from a calibrator unit....Livernois makes the calibrators for Ford...They are the same as what we use to flash aftermarket tunes....ALWAYS about the benjamins ;)

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I'm not sure about the rangers, but with the mustang, for warranty to be retained, the FP tune MUST be installed by either the dealership OR an ASE certified mechanic. If installed by an ASE mechanic, they or you have to submit a work order / receipt / bill / whatever to Ford so they have it on record. If you install it yourself, I "believe" the warranty is not honored. Or at least, doesn't have to be honored.

OP
OP
Extreme01

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure about the rangers, but with the mustang, for warranty to be retained, the FP tune MUST be installed by either the dealership OR an ASE certified mechanic. If installed by an ASE mechanic, they or you have to submit a work order / receipt / bill / whatever to Ford so they have it on record. If you install it yourself, I "believe" the warranty is not honored. Or at least, doesn't have to be honored.
Well you'll get a kick out of this. The ASE mechanic at the dealer thinks the reason I'm getting gas in the oil is because I'm running 93 octane gas. Unbelievable

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Well you'll get a kick out of this. The ASE mechanic at the dealer thinks the reason I'm getting gas in the oil is because I'm running 93 octane gas. Unbelievable
Well that mechanic is a moron then in my opinion. The two should be completed unrelated. Not to start a holy war on here, but I am a proponent of catch cans on these motors though. I know some don't believe they are necessary, but I think they are beneficial. I have seen what they collect first hand with my mustang (don't have one on the ranger yet) and it is shocking. I wish they had a factory collection system, but I understand why they don't with a lot of people neglecting basic maintenance.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Why aren't you supposed to tow with a tune?

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Just got my Livernois tunes. They have performance tunes and tow tunes and warn not to tow if you have the performance tune installed.

So, you can tow with a tune made for towing, at least with Livernois tunes.

I currently have the 87-89 performance tune installed since that is the gas in the tank but many on this forum drive daily using the tow tunes.

I need to drive this thing as I'm enjoying the tune so far but only have driven about 20 miles with it.

Last edited:

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
With Livernois, they say that the performance tunes, certain engine management parameters are changed that you might want in place for towing. So, stuff like torque management and catalyst temperature is set more conservatively for tow their tow tune.

OP
OP
Extreme01

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the update on my ranger with the gas in the oil issue. The dealer has been talking with engineers from ford about this issue, and there saying this is the first they've heard about it. I told the dealer that there were other guys here dealing with the same issue. They can't figure out whats causing the issue so there changing out the high pressure fuel pump, replacing the gas lines and changing the oil. And will monitor it from there. Its been logged and noted from ford if something else happens down the road. Truck is warranted.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Did he give you an explanation as to why he thought the higher octane could be causing the issue?

OP
OP
Extreme01

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did he give you an explanation as to why he thought the higher octane could be causing the issue?
He talked to the Ford engineers and they said that wouldn't cause the problem
Sponsored